Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading what I posted below about a year or so ago. Not sure if this applies to Pilots with the Idle/Stop feature only or all models. The Honda Pilot (and probable other Honda models also) keep a count of how many times the starter is engaged. After a certain factory preset number of starts, the starter and the starter cut relays need to be replaced! If a different PCM is installed into a Pilot the count number stored in the previous PCM has to be transferred to the new replacement PCM.

I think I had read somewhere that the count is around 100,000 starter engagements before the Idle/Stop light on the dash blinks amber, but I can't find that number right now. It also disables the Idle/Stop until those items are replaced. I think I may have read also that the count can be reset, but not sure.

The below is copied from the 2016 Honda Pilot service manual

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone just posted some of the 2019 Service Manual information over on the Passport forum. The counting of the starter engagement is still recorded, but it appears to only disable the Idle/Stop function when the limit is reached. It doesn't say anything about replacing the starter or relays now. The amber Idle/Stop indicator on the dash also appears to have a different readout when the count is met or exceeded.

The below is copied from the 2019 Honda Passport service manual

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
All in the name of fuel economy numbers for Honda at your expense.
Reject the tech.

Reactions: Sha93 and Aviator6

·
Registered
301 Posts
No wonder my 2016 with 70K miles just stopped engaging idles stop 2 weeks ago, whats the Fix

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
I drove a truck the other day and its stop/start didn't work. It had been sitting so long the battery was very very depleted

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No wonder my 2016 with 70K miles just stopped engaging idles stop 2 weeks ago, whats the Fix
Is your Idle/Stop symbol on the dash board blinking and amber in color? If not, than you probable have something else wrong.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is your Idle/Stop symbol on the dash board blinking and amber in color? If not, than you probable have something else wrong.
No blinking on the screen nor have any issues

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No blinking on the screen nor have any issues
If it isn't blinking per the service manual, then you have something else going on. There is a list of about 10 or so different criteria which has to be met before the Idle/Stop will engage. Everything from battery charge, interior vehicle temp if the HVAC is running, and more.

If the hood is opened while the engine is running and then shut with the engine still running, this will also prevent future engagement of the Idle/Stop in some of these vehicles for various lengths.

Jump to and read the conditions found on pages 506, 507, and 508 from this link for the owner's manual if you are not familiar with all of the conditions that prevent the Idle/Stop from working.

Owner's manual Idle/Stop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts