Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rear ended recently in my 2008 Pilot and it was totaled. I have never been through the process before and fearing that I will not be offered much. I searched long and hard for my pilot which I bought 4 years ago with 22k original miles.

It is the VP model and at the time had 76k miles but still in pristine condition. Anyone have experience dealing with the insurance company and getting a fair price for deceased vehicle?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
I weep for your Pilot.

I believe longtime moderator and newly promoted administrator @Rocky may have some experience in the field of insurance.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
Hope everyone involved is okay. Good luck with getting things sorted out with the insurance company. At least you already have the insight that they will not be looking out for your best interest.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Sad to hear about the Pilot but as long as all occupants are unscathed that’s the best news. The Pilot is probably totaled but there should be some residual value to be determined.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I was rear ended recently in my 2008 Pilot and it was totaled. I have never been through the process before and fearing that I will not be offered much. I searched long and hard for my pilot which I bought 4 years ago with 22k original miles.

It is the VP model and at the time had 76k miles but still in pristine condition. Anyone have experience dealing with the insurance company and getting a fair price for deceased vehicle? View attachment 135958
This makes me very sad.
Sorry for your loss. I hope you and if any who was with you are ok.
The insurance co. will try to settle with you. I always hold out as long as possible to recover as much as I can. Hopefully they offer you a rental vehicle in the meantime. Unfortunately, on a vehicle this old you probably won't be happy with what you get and will be near impossible for you to get an exact replacement. Buying a newer vehicle as a replacement is on your dime. If you have an extended waranty, you might see if they will pay you for it. Research full retail value in excellent condition and aim for that.
On a side note...., Buy your wrecked Pilot back from the insurance company and salvage all the good parts and rebuild another Pilot 😉.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
We had a 2006 Odyssey with over 250,000 miles on it when it was totaled 11/2019. It was in good condition considering the age and mileage. The transmission was replaced in 2018. We also replaced the headlights and had Michelin tires put on the same year. We sent receipts to our insurance company and they added value to the car which was quite surprising to us. The insurance company gave more money than we would have gotten if we sold it private party.
My point in saying that is be sure and gather receipts of any money you've put in the car over the past year or 2. It may help you get a little more.

Luckily Pilots are pretty high valued. Of course it still is a old car regardless of the mileage so you will likely get less than you feel its worth. Glad everyone is safe. It looks like the car held up pretty well considering!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts

It is the VP model and at the time had 76k miles but still in pristine condition. Anyone have experience dealing with the insurance company and getting a fair price for deceased vehicle? View attachment 135958
Ouch. Remember that the insurer pays you what it would cost to buy a similar vehicle in your local area, not trade in. No two vehicles are the same miles, condition etc. Adjustments always happen. So do your research in your area.

What I am hearing from my contacts is that new car sales minimal and its affecting used car values. When nobody buys, values drop. Auto auctions are very quiet and often closed. However the stats aren't really picking up the rapidly changing values.
Overall a great time to be buying a car without a trade in.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
When this thread started I just knew you were interested in tearing that rear quarter apart to put that Pilot back on the road.
I'm just dying right now.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
It hurts to see your Pilot in that condition. I have the same colored Pilot but from 2007. Hopefully you'll find another one in great condition. I would have loved to have the cross bars that mine are missing and probably one of the wheels to have a full size spare for mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went to the tow yard and removed the 2 sets of Rigid Lights I had mounted on the front bull bar- Might go back later and remove the bull bar and tow hitch as I know they are not going to give me anything for those.

I have found locally a 2007 with 60k asking price of $12k so that may be the figure I give the insurance company? Am I going to be pleasantly rejected?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I just went to the tow yard and removed the 2 sets of Rigid Lights I had mounted on the front bull bar- Might go back later and remove the bull bar and tow hitch as I know they are not going to give me anything for those.

I have found locally a 2007 with 60k asking price of $12k so that may be the figure I give the insurance company? Am I going to be pleasantly rejected?
I would try.
Try and get rental for now at their expense. They don't like loosing money. Ask up front how long they will pay for one.
Don't forget getting paid for pain and suffering. I've had them add $500 for my troubles.

Reactions: RedsPilot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They did hook me up with a rental car right away- It was the other parties fault so I am dealing with them. Unfortunately I am still quite sore 3 days and just found out there is a bone chip in my neck.
How long would I expect to wait before they try and make me an offer for the car? I am ready to pull the trigger on the one that I found that is quite similar.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I have found locally a 2007 with 60k asking price of $12k so that may be the figure I give the insurance company
Price is steep for ‘07 but maybe it’s in excellent condition so test drive it and make an offer. Got nothing to lose. Depending on net payout from the insurance co. this could work out for you.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
They did hook me up with a rental car right away- It was the other parties fault so I am dealing with them. Unfortunately I am still quite sore 3 days and just found out there is a bone chip in my neck.
How long would I expect to wait before they try and make me an offer for the car? I am ready to pull the trigger on the one that I found that is quite similar.
Oh man,
Being hurt is a game changer. Make sure your long term care is taken care of.
If your not getting help on a timely basis, you may need professional assistance.
Let them know you have a replacement vehicle picked out. The price seems high. Hopefully the dealer will come down at least 2k.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dunno, back in 2012, I traded in a 2007 Pilot EX AWD with 70k and excellent condition, for 10k. Granted, trade-in and sale price are different, but 12k seems too high for an '07 in 2020.

Agreed- This is their "asking" price.
Depending on how quickly this can get resolved I would offer them no more than $9k

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
My advice is just wait it out for now. Insurance will pay for a rental car for up to a week AFTER the car is declared totaled (when they tell you how much you get for it). Just enjoy the rental car and slowly start to shop around. At least for me the amount the insurance company would give me would affect how much I want to spend on a replacement.
*i have USAA so things are different, but the accident was the other drivers fault. I did everything through USAA and they communicated with the other party’s insurance.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts