Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm paying way too much for insurance, i have a perfect driving record, it could be that i'm 24. Eastwood insurance is who i'm insured with and i'm paying $295 a month!. I'm gonna change providers once i get a better deal. I'm gonna start looking , any suggestions anyone who lives in the bay area? Also they were hard pressed to find someone to insure me , the lady told me that it's because it's an introductory vehicle and they have no history or crash test ratings out yet.:3: :3:

·
Registered
29 Posts
insurance prices on pilot in SC

I really dont want to make you made but im only paying $77.00
in Sumter SC. oops make i shouldnt have opened my mouth cause i could just imagine what you saying right now.. later romad01

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
That's crazy expensive, even for a single 24y.o. And I think it's prolly BS about the "we don't know" since none of us MDX owners had difficulty insuring with our first-year '01s. Certainly, if anything, the ins company would base its premium info on the MDX.

I think your problem is that you're w/Eastwood. Isn't that for high-risk and otherwise uninsurable drivers? Try Geico, CSAA, hell -- pretty much anyone...

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree, its ridiculously expensive -- one should be paying that kind of premium only if they are categorized as 'high-risk' drivers.

Also try Liberty Mutual, State Farm, AAA (or is that same as CSAA ?).

In fact we pay about $1700+/year (Pilot + Accord) and I thought I was paying way too much and was in the process of starting to shop-around.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know that AIG is less expensive than GIECO(my previous insurer). I just had a 22% rate hike and its still $200 less a year than GIECO. You should check insurance rates with different company's at least 4 times a year.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Leasing?

Are you leasing or did you purchase it outright? If you are leasing, you have much higher coverage limits (And associated rates) in many states.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mercury Insurance

I am 30 yo male, in silicon valley and no toher cars or people on my policy and I pay $1100/yr for 100/300/100 with $500 deductibles. It may be more for a 24 yo but can't be that much more. You can get a a quote on the web. Check it out.

Dave

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Pilot was right in the ballpark compared to other vehicles in the household fleet. The problem is you or your insurance company, not the Pilot. You have to really shop for insurance, at least in SC, it is not unusual to find a wide variation. For example, quotes for my motorcycle varied from $250 to over $1200 a year! Caveat Emptor.

Al

·
Registered
166 Posts
Insurance Prices...

My Pilot replaced a '96 Dodge Caravan, and my annual insurance bill only went-up some $50 (just under $800/year). Live in the Chicago-area, mostly clean record, 39 with a wife and 2 kids - I wonder if my good student discount is still in place?!

Insured through State Farm, who also has by house, my '95 Accord, and my '93 Goldwing (yes, we like Honda's).

Ed

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wow! Sounds high to me Southbay. We are paying 1,200/year for a 2000 Sienna and a 2003 Pilot. I'm 32 and the wife, well I can't say how old she is, but she was a year behind me in school. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
373 Posts
I went from a 98 Mountaineer to the Pilot and my insurance went up about $50.
In MA insurance is regulated, all providers have the same cost. All we can shop around for is limited discounts and service.

The thing I did notice is the Pilot has a higher symbol than the Mountaineer but they discount it deeper for good driver credits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
south bay insurance rates

Fellow south bay piloteer here. Paying $600/year to insure the Pilot. Allstate had no qualms about insuring a first model year car. But...I'm alot older than 24!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went with Liberty Mutual for 1325/- pa.
I asked around and no insurance co was ready to insure it for
anything lower. They claimed my insurance credit rating was 4 in 1-5 range.
This inspite of having a clean driving record and excellent credit
rating (>740). Anybody have an idea how the insurance co
determine the credit rating?
Two problems I faced with Libery Mutual :
they were unwilling to start coverage on the date the vehicle was
delivered 'cause of a thunderstorm (Faye) in the area though it
was 200 miles south of us. I had to cajole them by threatening
to report the matter to the state department of insurance before
they agreed to start coverage.
they could not quote based on the VIN number as the Pilot is still
not in the database used by their underwriter! The quote that I
received is purely based on the cost of the vehicle and not on
safety rating etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am with NC Farm Bureau, and with heavy coverage, I am paying $1200 per year for 3 vehicles. In fact, my Pilot coverage is just $100 more a year than my 95 Volvo. I expected it to be more than that. So when I sell the Volvo (I am finally getting calls on it), my insurance increase will be negligible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm insured with Liberty Mutual. My rates went up $700 a year, partly I think, because of where they classed the Pilot. It wasn't in their database yet, so they went with cost instead of anything actually relevant.

Liberty is also my employer, so that's even with the employee discount, payroll deduction....Yikes.

I decided to wait another 30 days to shop around for quotes until the VIN is up.

Shortcakes

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm insured with Liberty Mutual. My rates went up $700 a year, partly I think, because of where they classed the Pilot. It wasn't in their database yet, so they went with cost instead of anything actually relevant.
In Houston, the rates have gone up because of the storm last year
that caused lots of vehicles to be written off due to extensive flood
damage.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Rates went up by $700 or went up to $700 ? Price increase of $700 sounds too steep.

Shortcakes said:

Liberty is also my employer, so that's even with the employee discount, payroll deduction....Yikes.

I decided to wait another 30 days to shop around for quotes until the VIN is up.

Shortcakes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went up by $700 a year. I pay a lot for insurance any way, as I've chosen to have $0/$50 deductibles.....But, that's outrageous, going from a 1999 VW New Jetta GLS VR6 to, what I consider a much safer vehicle. The most frustrating part is I have a clean record.

Like I said, I'll be shopping. I've only had my Pilot a few weeks, and I'm waiting for the VIN to get out there.

Shortcakes

·
Registered
388 Posts
NOt sure how it is out west but I recently switched all our vehciles to unitrin and literally cut off $1000 yearly, i called to get quotes for Pilot it was 125 more than the 96 chryselr sebring it will replace. Also was foolishing considering a chevy trailblazer and that was only 55 more more thant the sebring. Is the spell checker not working?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts