Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to test out the ivtm-4 AWD system on the pilot this past weekend, and I'm pretty impressed. For reference, I have a 2021 touring with AWD. Took the pilot on a trail with mixed gravel and rocks, and even 3-wheeled a few times. I was able to keep up with my friend's 4runner and my brother's Tacoma, both have upgraded off road suspension and proper all terrain tires.

I definitely wish it had more ground clearance. I've been looking at the lift kit and skid plate from JSport as well as some all terrain tires, either falken wildpeak trails, or Toyo open country AT3's.

Couple of questions: anyone familiar with the JSport products? Anyone install these all terrain tires, how are they on-road? And lastly, has anyone sold used tires? My stock continental crosscontact sports only have about 3500 miles on them and I'm wondering if i can get any money for trading them for new tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discount tire shops might take your old tires but for something as low as $20 a tire - provided that you buy new ones from them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Discount tire shops might take your old tires but for something as low as $20 a tire - provided that you buy new ones from them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured it would be something low like that, I'm thinking maybe a local shop would be willing to pay more. I guess I'll have to call around and see

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I definitely wish it had more ground clearance. I've been looking at the lift kit and skid plate from JSport as well as some all terrain tires, either falken wildpeak trails, or Toyo open country AT3's.

Couple of questions: anyone familiar with the JSport products? Anyone install these all terrain tires, how are they on-road? And lastly, has anyone sold used tires? My stock continental crosscontact sports only have about 3500 miles on them and I'm wondering if i can get any money for trading them for new tires.
JSport and other reputable lift kits will give you the bump up in clearance. Lifts for the Pilot generally focus on spacers on the struts and springs. Quality of these spacers kits vary as much as the prices found on ebay etc. One thing to watch for is excess axle angles that could result in vibrations and shorter CV axle life. Once lifted running larger tires will net you even more clearance. The Falken Wildpeaks have a good following in the Jeep world and for something a tad milder look at the Yokohama Geolander G015
Perhaps post your tires on FB/CL etc as tires with low miles should move quickly when priced right.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JSport and other reputable lift kits will give you the bump up in clearance. Lifts for the Pilot generally focus on spacers on the struts and springs. Quality of these spacers kits vary as much as the prices found on ebay etc. One thing to watch for is excess axle angles that could result in vibrations and shorter CV axle life. Once lifted running larger tires will net you even more clearance. The Falken Wildpeaks have a good following in the Jeep world and for something a tad milder look at the Yokohama Geolander G015
Perhaps post your tires on FB/CL etc as tires with low miles should move quickly when priced right.
I have heard about spacers messing with different parts of the suspension, not something I would want to mess with as i plan to use this car long term. I actually had the Geolanders on my previous vehicle (CRV), and I loved them, they were awesome both off road and on road, unfortunately it doesn't look like they fit my OEM rims, the only all terrain tires that seem to fit my rims are the falkens or toyos

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Impressive?
That's an awfully big word.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have heard about spacers messing with different parts of the suspension, not something I would want to mess with as i plan to use this car long term. I actually had the Geolanders on my previous vehicle (CRV), and I loved them, they were awesome both off road and on road, unfortunately it doesn't look like they fit my OEM rims, the only all terrain tires that seem to fit my rims are the falkens or toyos
For my Pilot project the wheels will be 17” as that’s the sweet spot for off pavement use and better AT choices.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's too bad Jeep doesn't make a Grand Cherokee with a 3rd row and not $50k+. They'd have a hit because having something that can actually handle some of the rougher fire roads with the family for camping trips would be awesome.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For my Pilot project the wheels will be 17” as that’s the sweet spot for off pavement use and better AT choices.
It's too bad Jeep doesn't make a Grand Cherokee with a 3rd row and not $50k+. They'd have a hit because having something that can actually handle some of the rougher fire roads with the family for camping trips would be awesome.
True, they're releasing their grand wagoneer next year which has a 3rd row, but I read the price starts at $60k upwards of $100k fully loaded 😬

·
Registered
55 Posts
That’s exactly what the Durango is, but yes can be $50k+

·
Registered
118 Posts
That’s exactly what the Durango is, but yes can be $50k+
The Durango is pretty nice, even the V6 has plenty of power. The resale value and interior quality are pretty terrible though... I did a lot of comparison shopping to arrive at the Pilot and it's pretty hard to beat the mixture of features. But it's not for offroading.....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A spacer lift is a great way to get more ground clearance, but you will be putting multiple parts (like CV axles) closer to their limit for daily driving which will likely decrease their life. Additionally, if you are using a lift that preloads the spring you will be losing downward suspension travel, which can result in a rough ride. If you use a spacer that pushes the entire assembly down you could be pushing the CV joint beyond its limits at full droop.

I've run spacer lifts on 3 different vehicle and never had to replace a CV axle. I've also never had an issue with the ride. But I have seen plenty of threads from people who have had issues.

If the Pilot were mine I would like to lift it but my wife is not interested in that. And the Traverse is basically a minivan so even though they do make a lift kit I'm not putting one on a minivan.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A spacer lift is a great way to get more ground clearance, but you will be putting multiple parts (like CV axles) closer to their limit for daily driving which will likely decrease their life. Additionally, if you are using a lift that preloads the spring you will be losing downward suspension travel, which can result in a rough ride. If you use a spacer that pushes the entire assembly down you could be pushing the CV joint beyond its limits at full droop.

I've run spacer lifts on 3 different vehicle and never had to replace a CV axle. I've also never had an issue with the ride. But I have seen plenty of threads from people who have had issues.

If the Pilot were mine I would like to lift it but my wife is not interested in that. And the Traverse is basically a minivan so even though they do make a lift kit I'm not putting one on a minivan.
Thanks for the advice. I like the smooth ride of the pilot, so I don't want to mess with it too much, especially since its the family car and my daily driver to work, but I would love the extra ground clearance off road. I'll have to do some additional research.

For now, I'll probably stick to all terrain tires and a skid plate

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I like the smooth ride of the pilot, so I don't want to mess with it too much, especially since its the family car and my daily driver to work, but I would love the extra ground clearance off road. I'll have to do some additional research.

For now, I'll probably stick to all terrain tires and a skid plate
On road you probably won't notice a huge difference, maybe a slightly stiffer ride. Over speed bumps, large potholes and off road as the suspension maxes out is where you'll find it to be less comfortable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have been thinking about a lift kit as well. What is too much lift? Is 1 inch safe? 1.5? Anyone with a lift kit on over 100K miles?

·
Registered
119 Posts
these all terrain tires, how are they on-road?
I have 265-60-18 falken wildpeak at3w on my '19 touring. They are great on pavement, high-speed or low-speed, on big windy mtn passes, on little windy back roads, very good in the rain, they have the mtnpeak/snowflake winter-rated symbol & were good in the little bit of snow I got to play in last winter. B/t them & the traction control I couldn't make donuts in the snow, lol. Not too noisy, either.

My understanding of jsport is they worked w/honda developing the lifts to not wear out the suspension/axles.

Reactions: Nfigueroa4

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 265-60-18 falken wildpeak at3w on my '19 touring. They are great on pavement, high-speed or low-speed, on big windy mtn passes, on little windy back roads, very good in the rain, they have the mtnpeak/snowflake winter-rated symbol & were good in the little bit of snow I got to play in last winter. B/t them & the traction control I couldn't make donuts in the snow, lol. Not too noisy, either.

My understanding of jsport is they worked w/honda developing the lifts to not wear out the suspension/axles.
Thanks for the useful info!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finally got a chance to test out the ivtm-4 AWD system on the pilot this past weekend, and I'm pretty impressed. For reference, I have a 2021 touring with AWD. Took the pilot on a trail with mixed gravel and rocks, and even 3-wheeled a few times. I was able to keep up with my friend's 4runner and my brother's Tacoma, both have upgraded off road suspension and proper all terrain tires.

Thanks!
Very nice. Do you have any pictures/footage of your adventure? I installed Winter tires in my 2016 and wanting to test its durability.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts