Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilot is #4 !!! (#1 in Sept 2003)

J. D. Power & Associates reported the following 10 Hottest Models (defined as models that moved off dealers' lots the fastest in April 2003):

Model / Average Price
Mercedes Benz SL-Class / $103,245
Acura MDX / $39,808 (a Honda Pilot wannabe)
Lexus GX 470 / $49,676
Honda Pilot / $30,562
Mercedes-Benz G-Class / $78,899
Volvo XC90 / $43,751
Lexus LX 470 / $64,807
Honda CR-V / $21,375
Honda Odyssey / $27,745
Honda Element / $20.729

Gee, Honda (Acura) accounted for half (50%) of the ten hottest cars.

Source: Wall Street Journal, D2

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not a bad place to be considering #5 is 80K! WooHoo!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
J. D. Power & Associates reported the following 10 Hottest Models (defined as models that moved off dealers' lots the fastest in April 2003):

Model / Average Price
Lexus GX 470 / $49,676
Honda Pilot / $30,562
Volvo XC90 / $43,751
Lexus LX 470 / $64,807
Honda CR-V / $21,375
Honda Odyssey / $27,745
Honda Element / $20.729

all hondas in the non luxary cars:D :D :2: :cool:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't think it's a coincident that Honda has 5 vehicle in that list. I think what happened is Honda has pretty good flow control,j ust like Dell computer. They successfully reduced inventory at dealer level. That way both Honda and dealer make good profit and Honda has good cash flow.
Of course, the products have to be good, too.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
timchen said:
I don't think it's a coincident that Honda has 5 vehicle in that list. I think what happened is Honda has pretty good flow control,j ust like Dell computer. They successfully reduced inventory at dealer level. That way both Honda and dealer make good profit and Honda has good cash flow.
Of course, the products have to be good, too.
I agree...otherwise honda Element will not be here....:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

Model / Average Price
Lexus GX 470 / $49,676
Honda Pilot / $30,562
Volvo XC90 / $43,751
Lexus LX 470 / $64,807
Honda CR-V / $21,375
Honda Odyssey / $27,745
Honda Element / $20.729

Three Honda Odysseys :2: , i feel accord should have come instead of Element . :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Is there a link to the web version of this article, or was it in the monthly issue?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ferdball said:
Is there a link to the web version of this article, or was it in the monthly issue?
I don't have a link and Dow Jones is pretty stingy with online access (requires paid subscription). I'll scan the information in tonite and post it as an attachment.

BTW, the slowest moving car was the Infiniti QX4 / $33,286 (a dressed up Nissan Pathfinder).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not surprised.

My Honda Pilot is #1 with me. With only 350 miles on it, a day doesn't go by when i don't enjoy and discover something new. Today I discovered the handle inside the trunk door. Good thinking. The truck's so high i have to be careful in the garage when i open the trunk. maybe you do too. Really enjoyed listening to the new Van morrison CD on the way in to work.Loved the sound system and how you can make changes right on the steering wheel. To me it's every bit a luxury car.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WSJ Attachment

Here's the information, as it appeared in the Wall Street Journal:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, #6 isn't too shabby either.

Here's the results for the month of May. Pilot still in the top 10 :D

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
How would you like to be a potential Infiniti QX4 buyer and stumble on that stat, or even worse, just purchased one and then come across that article.................talk about depreciation. :eek:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Pilot is #4 !!!

lalit said:

Three Honda Odysseys :2: , i feel accord should have come instead of Element . :D
If you drive past a Honda lot you will see a lot of Accords on the lot. With that many on the lot they aren't going to move off the lot as fast which, as I understand it, is what this survey measures. As a prospective Pilot purchaser it's actually a bad thing for me for the Pilot to be so high on the list. The Pilot would be just as good of a vehicle if there were 30 of them on every dealers lot and I'd have a lot more negotiating power.

If Honda made more Pilots they'd sell more but they probably wouldn't make as much money on them.

The bottom line though is what you are paying and what you are getting. Not how much over invoice, or how much under/over MSRP you are paying.

All that not withstanding if the Pilot weren't such a great car they wouldn't move off the lot that fast no matter how few were made.:2:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pilot is #4 !!!

florida_guy said:

If you drive past a Honda lot you will see a lot of Accords on the lot. With that many on the lot they aren't going to move off the lot as fast which, as I understand it, is what this survey measures. As a prospective Pilot purchaser it's actually a bad thing for me for the Pilot to be so high on the list. The Pilot would be just as good of a vehicle if there were 30 of them on every dealers lot and I'd have a lot more negotiating power.

If Honda made more Pilots they'd sell more but they probably wouldn't make as much money on them.

The bottom line though is what you are paying and what you are getting. Not how much over invoice, or how much under/over MSRP you are paying.

All that not withstanding if the Pilot weren't such a great car they wouldn't move off the lot that fast no matter how few were made.:2:
The reasons for so many Accords sitting on the lots is that they will always sell more Accords than Piolts, Honda knows this and rightfully so has production geared where they can mass produce them to fill sales needs. Honda I'm sure is gearing up production on the Pilots as demand has exceeded supply.

True that lower supply means higher sales price, the dealers might like this, (bigger gross profit means bigger commission) but I have to believe that Honda Motor Co. would rather be selling more units at a slighter lower price than less units at a slighly higher price.

Bottom line, its always comes down to supply in demand (now if we could only cut down on the demand on some of our golf courses here, we might be able to get green fees under a $100)!

·
Registered
263 Posts
tonyrwc said:
Honda I'm sure is gearing up production on the Pilots as demand has exceeded supply.
I wouldn't count on this occuring very rapidly. The Ontario plant is at capacity producing MDXs and Pilots (and perhaps a trickle of Odysseys). Meanwhile, the Alabama plant is at capacity producing just Odysseys. The capacity of the Alabama plant will double in 2004 when they open a second line, but there are two other things to keep in mind. First, the Odyssey will get a redesign for 2005, which will likely result in increased demand (especially if Honda provides 8-seat capacity). Second, it looks like Honda will produce a pickup truck for 2005, which will likely be produced on the same light truck lines in Ontario and Alabama.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pilot is #4 !!!

tonyrwc said:
Honda I'm sure is gearing up production on the Pilots as demand has exceeded supply.
But the Odessey has been out for what, four years, now and they still aren't sitting on lots. About a year ago I couldn't even find one to test drive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pilot is #4 !!!

florida_guy said:

But the Odessey has been out for what, four years, now and they still aren't sitting on lots. About a year ago I couldn't even find one to test drive.
This one has been to figure, you would have figured by now Honda would have increased production on the Odyssey but they haven't, could you imagine how many more of these would be on the road if they had.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts