Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Been monitoring this forum for a while and I'm about to venture
into buying a Pilot. However, I've been having problems finding invoice cost of options available on the Pilot. I checked Edmunds.com to find pricing information but the only invoice info I could find was on the the vehicle itself. I'm interested in a Pilot EXL w/Nav. Anyone know where I can find an invoice pricing break down on the base vehicle, options, dealer mark up, holdback, etc?

I tried to buy the fightingchance.com package, but the guy called me back and said that he probably couldn't save me any money because Pilots were in such high demand. That was about 3 months ago. I've noticed now that some of you have been able to haggle below MSRP. All info and advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
pilot invoice

According to Consumer Reports which i recieved in Dec. 2002 here's the break down for dealer invoice on EXL-Nav.

Base invoice: $29,253
Destination charge: $460
Total : $29,713 (Consumer reports list this price as the maximum cost to acquire the car from the manufacturer)

Dealer gets a hold back of $969 on this car.

With the dealer holdback of $969. Dealerships pay $28,737 for a Pilot EXL-Nav according to Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports suggests that the place to start negotiating is at 29,700 and work up. Car Buying tips suggests that a dealer is entitled to a profit of around 3%.

I was able to negotiate my EX-L Pilot in Dec. at $28,500-- knowing that the dealer really paid 27,000 for it with the dealer hold back. I ran into a gitch over the destination charge in which the dealership would not budge. So I was able to negotiate free oil changes for the life of the car and a free loaner for schedule service in order to make up for the destination charge. My salesman wanted his Christmas bonus. :2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JT for that info, it will be useful.

I see you're from Houston, which dealer did you buy your Pilot from? Although I live in Dallas, I have family in Houston and not opposed to going down there if the deal is good. Recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
deadeye_ag said:

... I've been having problems finding invoice cost of options available on the Pilot. I checked Edmunds.com to find pricing information but the only invoice info I could find was on the the vehicle itself. I'm interested in a Pilot EXL w/Nav.
Pricing the options (Honda calls them accessories) for the Pilot bedeviled me the whole way in my buying process.

At Honda's home website (www.honda.com, I think), available accessories are listed and priced, but I found little relationship between those numbers and the universally higher prices I was quoted by individual dealerships. The common explanation for the higher quotes: "The prices quoted on Honda's site don't include installation costs." OK, I accept that, but it highlights the fact that labor costs and markup can differ markedly between dealerships. As just one example, dealer prices (installed) ranged from $700 to $950 for running boards. I was particularly surprised at the range of prices I was quoted for installing the tow package + hitch: $650 to $1100.

At the dealer from which we ended up buying our Pilot off the lot, we easily agreed on the price of the EX itself, sans accessories (we now know our first offer should have been lower). But my husband and I nearly walked at the outrageous amount they first quoted for accessories. (We could have paid less elsewhere.)After the salesman pulled us back in the building and gave us new figures, we agreed to the sale (it's hard to resist the vehicle you want sitting just outside the window).

For anybody who's handy with automotive stuff, I'd strongly suggest ordering what you want and installing it yourself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Deadeye_Ag

Deadeye_ag,

I was dealing via email with John Eagle Honda in Houston and they seemed to have good pricing. I ended up buying closer to home but they may be worth a try. Here is the email from 1/6/03.

"Thank you for your interest in the Honda Pilot. The MSRP on the EX model is $29,730. The fleet pricing on this unit is $28,230. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thank you again. Jack Averitt/ John Eagle Honda/ 214-904-3226 [email protected] http://www.johneaglehonda.com "

Good Luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
DEALER INVOICE

deadeye_ag

I purchased my Pilot from Gillman Honda (Ft. Bend location) Dealership is located in Rosenberg TX about 25-30 miles from Houston. My salesman (Fleet mgr.) was eager to sell to make his bonus.:jump3:

I do not have any info on accessories as far as dealer cost. I asked Ft. Bend Honda for the price on the towing package and they were extremely high. I asked them if they would meet internet prices for the towing package and they said flat on NO.

Funny thing.... I went to their sister dealership Gillman Honda located in Houston on Beltway 8---- they did meet the internet price for parts on the towing package and a reasonable $170 to install it. Go figure...it pays to shop around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts