Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is around 1 pm on Sunday. We got more snow but I didnt take pictures. I was driving around at 9:30 and there was about 13 inches or more. I tried the VTM-4 Lock but I think leaving it in drive is better.

And one of the Pilot hanging with the big boys:

Bill Giblin
2003 Pilot EX
Lancaster, PA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It handles great. I just use common sense and dont floor it. Starts great. Still a little tricky on tight turns.

·
Registered
226 Posts
been driving around my neighborhood the last couple of hours...... New York has about 6inches already and when it's all said and done by Monday late afternoon....we should have about 18" !!!

woo hoo :)

no slippage really....the Pilot feels nice and steady...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thks for the comments. I might try to take more if the wife lets me venture into some umplowed parking lots. I have been in snow up to the bumpers already and it never got stuck. I have a shovel in the back just in case. Like I said before, I have had to use D1 and VTM4 lock a few times.

I tried to climb over about 3 or 4 feet of snow to get into my driveway after taking the wife to work this morning. Sorry to say, no go. I had to get the plow driver to take about half of that snow away before I could venture into the driveway. The snow was up to the hood of the pilot. Guess that's a little too much snow. Would have run in and grabbed the camera but my son was in the car and I had a snow plow waiting for me to quit acting like an idiot so he could plow our road again. Next time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Goodyear Integrity tires STINK!

We got about 15" here in the Nation's Capital. We were asked to stay home by local govs. I did venture out to the store. Had some trouble making it over the plow dams-you know, that ridge of snow that the snow plows pile up. They were pretty high, but considering I have "One of the most advanced all wheel drive sysetems on the planet", getting in and out of parking spaces seemed harder than it needed to be. Hopefully I'll have some winter rubber on my Pilot next year, but knowing my luck it won't snow at all!

·
Registered
481 Posts
C'mon guys, let us have some of the snow fun here in Chicago. We've had a grand total of 2" (if even that) since we got our Pilot in January. Probably no more than 10" for the season so far.

I know, I know, you're sick of the piles, but it'd be fun to have it for a week or so.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
vellinga said:
C'mon guys, let us have some of the snow fun here in Chicago. We've had a grand total of 2" (if even that) since we got our Pilot in January. Probably no more than 10" for the season so far.

I know, I know, you're sick of the piles, but it'd be fun to have it for a week or so.
Man oh man, we got all you Lake Michigan snow!!! This winter, we've already amassed over 35" when our normal average is about 16"...... I'd trade places with the Windy City right about now!!! :4:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Hey vellinga,
Atleast you got some snow to drive in. Here in the NW 'burbs there has been no snow at all since I got my pilot.

Even last Friday when this storm "supposed to" pass over Chicago we got just flurries....:3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I managed to get my Pilot stuck in the snow. It was only for a minute or two. I rocked it in reverse and Drive to get it out. It took about 14 inches or more to get it stuck though. It was just me being dumb and looking for snow to drive in today. It happened at a Lowe's parking lot where there was a good entry point into the snow and then I just got stuck in drive. Not even VTM4 and D1 (or R)would pull me out.

Still love it and wouldnt trade it for anything. Maybe an 04 Pilot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I learned to drive on my father's full size Ford Bronco. We had snowy winters in Pittsburgh back in the early 80's and I don't ever remember getting stuck.

I wouldn't trade my Pilot either, not even an '04...unless it comes with a sunroof, heated mirrors and seats, and the engine from the '03 MDX! :5:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Goodyear Integrity tires STINK!

tledjazz said:
We got about 15" here in the Nation's Capital. We were asked to stay home by local govs. I did venture out to the store. Had some trouble making it over the plow dams-you know, that ridge of snow that the snow plows pile up. They were pretty high, but considering I have "One of the most advanced all wheel drive sysetems on the planet", getting in and out of parking spaces seemed harder than it needed to be. Hopefully I'll have some winter rubber on my Pilot next year, but knowing my luck it won't snow at all!
I wasted very little time upgrading my Goodyears. I think most people on this forum have upgraded to Michelin Cross Terrains. Aside from the better traction in rain and snow, they have much less road noise and a more comfortable ride than the Goodyears.

(they also look cool with the white lettering on the outside) :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: Goodyear Integrity tires STINK!

tledjazz said:
after being cooped up in the house for the last four days, I decided to go to work today. I suffered the indignity of digging my Pilot out of the aforementioned parking space. The VTM-4 system did its part, but the Integrity's just spun and slipped on the packed snow/slush. Several neighbors came up to me and said, "hey, isn't that 4 wheel drive?". Finally I had to get my snow shovel and clear a path in front of my rear wheels so these wonderful OE tires could make it out of the snow.

I'm sure the VTM-4 system doesn't like the Integrity's either. I heeded the owner's manual and headliner sticker, carefully keeping wheelspin to a minimum. Despite this, after several minutes of slipping around on the Integrety's, the VTM-4 warning light began to flash. I put it in park and let the system cool down for a few minutes. The light went out, I shoveled the path and off I went. I really see the difference between 4WD and AWD. The transfer case in Dad's Bronco would've let me spin and rock all day long. The VTM-4 does what it was designed to do, but it's clearly a little fragile for any serious off roading. All of wich goes to make the case; Honda should've stepped up and offered some better tires, knowing the limits of the VTM-4 system. I'm sure we'll be reading postings from Pilot owners who burned theirs out in coming weeks!

BTW, since the warning light came on briefly does anyone know if I should get the system checked out?

·
Registered
393 Posts
snow???:confused:

what's that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts