Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Is Pilot having more trouble than average Honda?

• Yes, more trouble

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • No, better than average Honda

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing so many problem reported. Do you think Pilot is having more trouble than average Honda? Say an Accord.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
timchen said:
After seeing so many problem reported. Do you think Pilot is having more trouble than average Honda? Say an Accord.
Hard to say... this is the only Honda board I follow/monitor -- don't know what the gripes are on the CR-V board, Accord board, Element board, etc...

Plus, this is my first Honda (not including the Passport, aka Isuzu Rodeo (but we won't go there)), so again, it would be a WAG to say that the Pilot has more problems than "average"... :)

P.S. WAG = Wild A$$ Guess ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Since the Pilot's my first ever Honda purchase, I won't vote in the poll. However, after years of having seen Honda's win awards after awards from several magazines for "best car" in their respective categories and also being praised for its reliability and quality engineering after all these years, I expected more from this car.

Sure, it's not an Acura, BMW, Lexus, Benz, but I expected things like the window scrunch (already applied silicone spray, but to no avail), pinging/flutter/tapping sounds from the engine (yes, I've performed the throttle cable bracket pull trick), both of which I'm still experiencing to be non-existent, especially considering that the Pilot's Honda's most expensive car. I know, every car, no matter how expensive, will have their own problems which need to be dealt with. But I still have these problems.

Now, is the Pilot still the best car I've ever owned? YES! Is the Pilot the most expensive car I've ever owned? YES. Would I buy it again? YES! Would you recommend others to buy it? YES!

Up until the Pilot, all I've driven were domestics and after a decade of such foolish practice, I decided to fork over a bit more cash to buy the Pilot over other SUV which were better equipped with more options and touches for the same, if not less than the Pilot.

I guess my problem is that, I had too high of an expectation from the Pilot and Honda. The sad thing is, if the problems I mentioned above can be resolved, I would not be writing something like this at all. But, since spring, I've been driving this car almost everyday now and it's really hard for me to live with these noise while I'm on the road.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd rank the Pilot and the first Honda I bought, a '98 Accord, as the best vehicles overall that I've owned in 30 years of driving and 15 or so vehicles owned. The worst were all GM products.

My last 4 vehicles have been new, first year vehicles:

'98 Accord LX - tie for 1st
'01 Toyota RAV4 - worst
'01 Toyota Highlander - ok, but problems
'03 Pilot - tie for 1st.

The Accord was a nice vehicle. The only warranty work was mis-aligned roof moulding and a headliner rattle TSB. I owned it almost 3 years, put 60,000 miles on it, and traded it with the original Michelin MXV4 Energy tires still on it.

The RAV4 was a problem, that I solved after 8 months. Brake TSB, Rattle TSB, hesitation, etc. etc. Traded that for the Highlander.

The Highlander was nice, but the glovebox and moonroof rattled, and during crosswind you got a reedy high pitch wind noise through the door seals. There was a Moonroof TSB and Crosswind Noise TSB that didn't get done because I traded it after 11 months for the Pilot. There was also the "oil gelling issue" with the engine. Toyota had special warranty coverage for this issue.

The Pilot had the dashboard clicking (strut tower weld issue) TSB done at the 7500 mile service, and silicone on the seals to fix the scrunch. No water pump issue, no seat movement issue, some hard starts in cold weather, saggy but acceptable leather. Overall, I'm a happy camper. Tuesday, June 3 will be the one year mark for me. It has 14,940 miles on it as of today, and my first vehicle since November 2000 that I'll actually keep for one full year, and several more by today's plans.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To Jay

Jay,

Funny I should see your post. We just traded our 2001 Highlander in for a Pilot EX-L RES. We had many more problems than even your Highlander. We had those problems plus so many others that I went to arbitration, but since Toyota paid off the arbitrator, I lost. I finally had the last straw with a squeaking noise from the rear axle that sounded like a flock of Geese. I gave up trying to get anything fixed. Mind you, this was our 5th Toyota from the same dealer, and they just don't give a crap anymore. We bought from Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie and had the BEST car buying experience ever! We even got 1000$ more for the Highlander than we thought we ever could and still got 600$ off msrp and all accessories installed at dealer cost. These things are flying off the lots so fast, ours was built in 5-03.

Good Luck...

Andre

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is our 2nd Honda -- also have a '95 Accord, which has been a great car. Our Pilot may have a few issues but overall, nothing big. We've had much fewer problems than our friends who drive american made vehicles. We hope for many continued years of good service from our Hondas. :4:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: To Jay

andrec8513 said:
[snip]I finally had the last straw with a squeaking noise from the rear axle that sounded like a flock of Geese.
That was one of the problems this Highlander I drove for a few days as a loaner from the bodyshop while my Pilot's bumper was being replaced.

Everytime I'd step on the gas, even if starting out slow, I'd hear this groaning or this low pitched metal to metal noise coming from the rear. I figured the Highlander must've gone through some really rough treatment from the drivers who had it as a loaner, but I guess that's not the case.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is our first Honda. It isn't blowing me away with quality. I just made the trek to the dealer for a power outlet that wasn't attached. Now the black plastic trim on the top of the bumper keeps popping off. I snap it back on and within a few minutes, it is popped up again. Neither are biggies, or mechanical problems, but....I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with things like that. I expected more from Honda. And, given our miserable, way below what was expected mileage, I feel Honda might not be the "oh so reliable and trustworthy car" I expected.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've driven/ owned a few vehicles, domestic and imports. Finally made the switch to Honda five years ago, the pilot is my 3rd Honda, 1st was the crv then the civic, when the pilot came out I traded in the crv. Ownership/ driving experience has been wonderful compared to the non Honda vehicles. I too did a lot of research and test drive comparisons before I purchased the pilot, I just found it to be the perfect vehicle for what I would use it for plus compared to other models I felt it offered the best vehicle for the money.

As far as comparing the pilot to the 2 other Honda's I've owned, they have all been reliable problem free cars. I feel very lucky not to have any issues at all with my pilot, I understand that there are somethings that could have been designed better when compared to other vehicles in the same class but overall I found the exterior design, fit and finish and the ergonomics of the interior very well suited for me. There are only 2 things I would change in my pilot, the oem tires will be gone in the fall, I'll probably replace them w/ Michellin's. The other thing, I've already done....I installed stainless steel tips over the stock muffler tips for cosmetic reasons only.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My other Honda experience are Passport and a Civic. Now forget about the Passport, we all know what it is. My Ex owns the Civic but I did most of maintenance. And It's trouble free for 4 years untill it got rear ended by a Pontiac. After the repair, it got some minor squeak. Its battery drained once and that's it.

I own my pilot 4 month now. The power window forgot it's autotouch setting twice already and back door isn't easy to close. I think that's still ok, but not best Honda experience I have.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My 95 civic had a few defects too.. About the same for the Pilot..

·
Registered
725 Posts
PILOT is the third Honda

My parents had a 1980 Honda Accord. They bought the thing for $4,500 and we had it for six years and put 145,000 miles on it. The only thing they had to repair were the floats in the carb. My parents sold that vehicle for $3,800. Not bad for a car with 145k miles on it!

My wife has a 1988 Honda Accord that is close to having 182,000 miles on it. We've had to replace the seals in the a/c unit, both front axles and the fuel injectors. Maybe 2-grand in repairs for a vehicle that is 15-years old.

Her Accord runs like a champ, and if it weren't such a pain in the a** getting in and out of it - I'd definitely drive it more. For the record, I've driven SUV's for the better part of a decade, so I'm used to getting in and out of a car with ease.

Now, as for our PILOT, I can honestly say (and I hope I'm not jinxing things here) we have nearly 19,000 miles on it since September '02 and our PILOT has NOT been to the dealer for any work other than routine maintenance.

Honda, thank you for restoring my faith in automakers and that they can actually build a car that is reliable! (Search for my rants about how bad Ford Motor Company sucks and all the problems with my Expedition if you're interested).

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
483 Posts
timchen said:
We have 2 civics, the most recent was a 97 h/b that we owned for 2 years without having any problems. Its too early for me to say if the Pilot is going to have more problems than our other Hondas because we have only had it a little over a month, but I can say I expect more out of it because of the price tag. So far so good, but it makes me nervous about the car when you read threads such as "What are your pet peeves" and reading some of the posts under the "Problems" category!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
never had another honda.....

but my best guess would be that on average (not individuals) the problems would be the same :D

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hard to answer this question

It's hard to answer this question from a factual, objective standpoint. I've owned three Hondas prior to the Pilot, including two Accords, but they were very different vehicles. Did either vehicle meet my idea of "perfect"? No. Were all three Hondas reliable vehicles that provided decent value for the money spent? Yes. I'd give the same answers about the Pilot.

Of all four Hondas I've owned, I'd pick the '79 Accord CVCC as having the most significant problem--burning excessive oil after about 6 years of ownership. My next Accord, an '86 LX, had completely changed and was much improved over its '79 predecessor, but still needed the exhaust system replaced during the 6 years we owned it. I've had very few problems with the '98 Civic, which is still going strong. My subjective opinion is that it represents a long-term, ultra-refined, tried-and-true design that is hard to top in terms of reliability and functionality for the price. But neither it nor the Accord has undergone the scrutiny that the 2003 Pilot has, as a new model for Honda....and the most expensive Honda. And I think there are expectations associated with a new $30,000 Honda model that become "problems" if they aren't met...and that tend to be overlooked in less expensive, familiar models (i.e., road noise and engine revving that are considered par for the course in a Civic may be considered "problems" in a Pilot).

In short, do I think the Pilot's shortcomings compare favorably with other Hondas I've owned? Yes. Does it meet my expectations? Yes. Has it been without problems? No--a problem with radio reception was fixed under warranty. And, I thought I'd get better gas mileage. Overall, do the good qualities of the Pilot far outweigh the problems/disappointments? YES!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife and I have owned nine Honda products since the early 70s and every one has been great. I can only remember one recall and that was on my 2002 TL-S for a power window switch. I sold domestics years ago that I'm still getting recall notices for.

Aside from the recall, I honestly can't remember one problem with any of them worth mentioning. My last SUV before the MDX was an Exploder and that is a story itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts