Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday I decided to take a trip to the beach...Unfortunately I was driving my gf's acura RSX.... we didnt get to do as much as we wanted..we parked right on the entrance while we watch a few trucks and SUV's pass as by and drive along the beach.

I'm now considering of getting the MDX , Pilot, and a few other SUV's....and have the

RX330
FX35, or 4runner

in mind

I dont need anything to go crazy with on the bach, I just need something I can feel confident with driving on the beach to get to where I want to go.

I would have to have 4wd and a pretty capable vehicle to drive on the soft sands of the beach....any opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
kemosabe said:
jaxxx: I don't have any opinions about driving the Pilot on the beach, but if you would kindly click here, click here, and click here, it might help you out... :) :) :)
Were we suppose to vote on color??????:D :D :D

If so - I like the first one - the SANDSTONE!!!!!!!!!

:7:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
colorider said:

Were we suppose to vote on color??????:D :D :D

If so - I like the first one - the SANDSTONE!!!!!!!!!

Am I missing something? The first two look like Sagebrush to me!

Anyway, just on gut reaction to those beach photos, there's nuthin' like that HAVASU BLUE in that setting!;)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ziploc said:

Am I missing something? The first two look like Sagebrush to me!

Anyway, just on gut reaction to those beach photos, there's nuthin' like that HAVASU BLUE in that setting!;)
Really? Hmmm, on my monitor the first one looks like a Sandstone.

:confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
colorider said:

Really? Hmmm, on my monitor the first one looks like a Sandstone.

:confused:
To clarify the Pilot colors in the three links above:
  1. The first one is superpilot's Sandstone...
  2. The second one is PrG's Nighthawk Black...
  3. The third one is havasu's Havasu Blue...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
kemosabe said:

To clarify the Pilot colors in the three links above:
  1. The first one is superpilot's Sandstone...
  2. The second one is PrG's Nighthawk Black...
  3. The third one is havasu's Havasu Blue...
So....

I still like the first one - the SANDSTONE!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
kemosabe said:

Hey, old-timer... you've been on and off honda-pilot.org since 4:30am... :eek: Go to bed...!!!

Yeah - I know. I'll sleep in till 5:00 in the morning!!!
:23:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Pilot performs very adequately on the beach. I drove mine onto the beach while vacationing on Hetteras Island in the Outer Banks. Worked great...had no problems getting in and out of the beach.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) the starlight silver ex-l looks nice in the beach, oopps! there is no silver in the pics!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is all sand equal?

UMGoBlue said:
The Pilot performs very adequately on the beach. I drove mine onto the beach while vacationing on Hetteras Island in the Outer Banks. Worked great...had no problems getting in and out of the beach.
Hey UMGoBlue,
I may want to take my Pilot fishing on Cape Cod sand this summer. Was the Outer Banks sand soft like Cape Cod, or hard like Daytona Beach area sand? Most fishermen on the Cape lower their tire pressure to 15psig ± before venturing out on the soft sand.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
sblvro said:
:) the starlight silver ex-l looks nice in the beach, oopps! there is no silver in the pics!
Oh yeah? :p Here's a Silver MR-V on the sand... :D

:awais: Notice how it made it up the hill!!! :26:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Is all sand equal?

jazcar said:

Hey UMGoBlue,
I may want to take my Pilot fishing on Cape Cod sand this summer. Was the Outer Banks sand soft like Cape Cod, or hard like Daytona Beach area sand? Most fishermen on the Cape lower their tire pressure to 15psig ± before venturing out on the soft sand.
I actually took it out on two different occassions. The first time, the sand was wet and semi-compact (thanks to TS Bill). The very next day after drying out a bit, the sand was less wet and more loose. The Pilot performed great both times. There are signs before entering the beach to deflate your tires as vehicles equipped with 4x4 will perform better. However, since I didn't have an air compressor and I didn't know how far or knew where the closest air pump was, I chanced it and drove onto the beach with normal inflated tires. Again, I had no problems getting in or out. You may want to follow the veterans-of-beach-and-sand-driving's lead and deflate your tires. Those fishermen know more than I do when it pertains to driving on the beach. Bring a compresser with you, just in case. I just chanced it, kept steady pressure on the gas pedal, and kept the Pilot moving. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm a little leery about the salt water but if the Pilot is a babe magnet at the beach, I'm there! :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a little leery about the salt water but if the Pilot is a babe magnet at the beach, I'm there!
Unless you're planning on using the Pilot to tow surfers and boogie boarders, there shouldn't be any problem with the salt water. Just give the Pilot a good bath when you get her back home.

As far as the Pilot being a chick magnet...most definitely...especially, as they collect on the grill while you motor along the beach!!!:29:

·
Registered
67 Posts
this may be an obvious answered question but here it goes:

did all the beach drivers use the VTM-4 BEFORE venturing out into the sand or AFTER a 'problem' occured?

I am still rather reserved on using the VTM-4 as the manual verbage is rather alarmist in nature. 'Don't do this' and 'don't do that'

This maybe the incorrect thread and if any of the moderators would care to 'point' me in the correct direction (give me the link)...

Good thread

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
kemosabe said:

Oh yeah? :p Here's a Silver MR-V on the sand... :D

:awais: Notice how it made it up the hill!!! :26:
yaaay! yeah a silver one (MR-V?).:D

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ben916 said:
this may be an obvious answered question but here it goes:

did all the beach drivers use the VTM-4 BEFORE venturing out into the sand or AFTER a 'problem' occured?

I am still rather reserved on using the VTM-4 as the manual verbage is rather alarmist in nature. 'Don't do this' and 'don't do that'

This maybe the incorrect thread and if any of the moderators would care to 'point' me in the correct direction (give me the link)...

Good thread
I'm sure there will be some more feedback on this - but MY understanding of how our VTM-4 system works is that the correct answer will be BOTH before and after as it kicks in when needed, if slippage is detected AND when manually selected (in the applicable gear).

Give you the link???? That would be too easy!! :)

Simply do a search for "VTM-4"

(give me a shout it you still can't find what you are looking for!)

One of your "every-so-always-friendly" Moderators

:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
colorider said:

I'm sure there will be some more feedback on this - but MY understanding of how our VTM-4 system works is that the correct answer will be BOTH before and after as it kicks in when needed, if slippage is detected AND when manually selected (in the applicable gear).

Give you the link???? That would be too easy!! :)

Simply do a search for "VTM-4"

(give me a shout it you still can't find what you are looking for!)

One of your "every-so-always-friendly" Moderators

:D
In other words:

Don't worry about it Let the VTM-4 automatic mode work.
Of course if you start getting stuck, that means you are in too soft sand with too high tire pressure for the load. In that case use the manual VTM-4 and get back to a hard surface!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts