Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 220k miles out of my 2015 Subaru Forester 6 speed manual. I drive a lot. 2.5 to 18 hour day trips. I'd really like a vehicle that runs 300,000 miles reliably. The Subaru was awesome in the rain and snow.

What is the most reliable year for the Pilot? How does the crash safety, long term reliability, and AWD snow and rain traction compare to Subaru and Highlander? How long will a Pilot last?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I’m kinda biased as my 2004 Pilot @125k has only been back to the dealer for one TB and two recalls on Takada airbags. Plows through the snow with full VTM-4 power on better than the squishy touristy OEM Bridgestone tire upgraded to the Alenza. Drove to Canada and back on a leaky radiator and fully loaded it achieved 20mpg on that road trip escaping from mounted Canadian forces.
She has now become my TLC project. Better than ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think Honda has one of the best AWD systems out there right now. I choose the Pilot over the Subaru and Toyota (considered both) in large part because of it. Crash results are excellent, as are most cars these days.

Reliability-wise, I think Honda has taken a step backwards on their current generation of vehicles. They are are still good, but not clearly ahead of companies like Subaru and Mazda as they were in the past. If you're looking for a newer vehicle and willing to pay for it, I would get a 2021+ Pilot EXL or SE (comes with the superior 9-speed transmission) and an extended HondaCare warranty from Hayannis or one of the vendors that sells them cheaply to 49 states (excluding FL). Disable the VCM and you eliminate a lot of the reliability problems.

2nd gen Pilots seem to be part of the peak period of Honda quality, but you'll probably struggle to find a 2015 or older with low mileage, especially at a decent price with what used are going for these days.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts