Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, proud new owner of a 2017 Honda Pilot EX AWD here. I've done some some reading on here about off highway driving and it seems like the Pilot can do a pretty good job. However, most of what I've read seems to be centered on adventuring through forested and rocky type terrain, so I'm curious to hear reports and/or opinions on how well it could do as a farm-type vehicle in flat, wet, muddy, grassy, mucky terrain. In a perfect world I'd have a 4x4 truck for that, but alas that is not the case. I'm not a serious farm worker, so it's not a deal breaker, but occasionally it would be nice to be able to drive around fields and similar areas. If not, why not? If so, any thoughts on how to approach this kind of driving if I'm used to something like an F-150?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Tire upgrades are a must... it will do pretty good until you get high centered in the deep stuff...

Reactions: Tacoma'03Pilot

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tire upgrades are a must... it will do pretty good until you get high centered in the deep stuff...
I've driven on greasy farm tracks and into firm harvested fields and pasture with no difficulties on basic all-purpose tires, but I wouldn't even consider getting into anything I could sink into more than an inch or two.

If you're talking an F-150 with stock tires and using common sense, yeah, it can do that. Of the options you suggested, flat, wet and grassy will be fine. Muddy will be marginal until you do the tire upgrade. Mucky is hoping for too much, as is anything very uneven, to cintocrunch's point.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The AWD system on the Pilot is really impressive. I personally think you'll be able to use it as a farm vehicle as long as it's not too muddy. All you need to do is put better tires of course.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
We actually have a resident expert for farm and muck-related questions. Just ring the dinner bell and @Daltongang should show up in a jiffy. :p

In the meanwhile, while if not a hardcore rock climber or a bona fide John Deere, the Pilot does surprisingly well in light off-roading. Here's what I did with mine even with end of life tires before I got new ones.

Mild Mannered Off Roading for 2006 EX-L (Pics & Vids)

I would suggest A/T tires for once, not for the [email protected]$$ look, but for the actual terrain. Also throw a pair of Traction Aids and a towrope in the little trunk, just in case. And don't go where you might bottom out.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Hey everyone, proud new owner of a 2017 Honda Pilot EX AWD here.
...so I'm curious to hear reports and/or opinions on how well it could do as a farm-type vehicle in flat, wet, muddy, grassy, mucky terrain. In a perfect world I'd have a 4x4 truck for that, ... but occasionally it would be nice to be able to drive around fields and similar areas. If so, any thoughts on how to approach this kind of driving if I'm used to something like an F-150?
Change the tires to either one of these:
GEOLANDAR A/T G015 | Yokohama Tire Corporation
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
My fear would be low ground clearance. The chances of your exhaust system causing a brush fire are very high.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Hey everyone, proud new owner of a 2017 Honda Pilot EX AWD here. I've done some some reading on here about off highway driving and it seems like the Pilot can do a pretty good job. However, most of what I've read seems to be centered on adventuring through forested and rocky type terrain, so I'm curious to hear reports and/or opinions on how well it could do as a farm-type vehicle in flat, wet, muddy, grassy, mucky terrain. In a perfect world I'd have a 4x4 truck for that, but alas that is not the case. I'm not a serious farm worker, so it's not a deal breaker, but occasionally it would be nice to be able to drive around fields and similar areas. If not, why not? If so, any thoughts on how to approach this kind of driving if I'm used to something like an F-150?

Thanks, Alex
I wouldn't drive a Pilot into a farm field unless it was sitting fallow after being turned under. In a pasture that's fine if has been grazed on and is not tall enough to reach close to he bottom of the vehicle.

You haven't lived until you've attempted to fight a wheat field fire during harvest. Crop gone, sometimes expensive machinery is gone as well. Such things have broken some farmers, as the loss of a seasons crop and a 150K - 200K in machinery is hard to recover from. I don't think I need to explain what a pasture fire will do any cattle that get trapped.

The Pilot is best suited to staying in wheel tracks on the edge of a field or in a pasture.

I had a 2013 Pilot Touring and now have a 2020 Passport Touring. It would get around in a field alright, but I never took the Pilot into the field. The passport has gone into a couple of pastures, but again I stayed on previously made tracks. My work vehicle towing, etc. is a 3/4 ton 4X4 that has better ground clearance than the Pilot or the Passport.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips. I hadn't considered causing a brush fire. Definitely not on the bucket list. I'll make sure to stick to areas that seem safe in this regard.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I don't think I need to explain what a pasture fire will do any cattle that get trapped.
Steak, well done. :p

But seriously, thank you for explaining the realities to the OP. The world needs good farmers.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I'm curious to hear reports and/or opinions on how well it could do as a farm-type vehicle in flat, wet, muddy, grassy, mucky terrain. In a perfect world I'd have a 4x4 truck for that, but alas that is not the case. I'm not a serious farm worker, so it's not a deal breaker, but occasionally it would be nice to be able to drive around fields and similar areas. If not, why not?
The Pilot’s biggest threat on the farm....
3794FD1B-3C37-4AAA-872C-0093C3B2A6BD.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Those are good, BUT............There is nothing that beats a Goo Goo Cluster and an RC Cola on a hot day on a tractor.

The only thing that comes close is a Moon Pie and an RC Cola. Bottled RC Cola, goes with out saying.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
How about adding a tow hitch for use as a recovery point with a shackle bracket receiver?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
How about adding a tow hitch for use as a recovery point with a shackle bracket receiver?
Like this.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I wouldn't drive a Pilot into a farm field unless it was sitting fallow after being turned under. In a pasture that's fine if has been grazed on and is not tall enough to reach close to he bottom of the vehicle.

You haven't lived until you've attempted to fight a wheat field fire during harvest. Crop gone, sometimes expensive machinery is gone as well. Such things have broken some farmers, as the loss of a seasons crop and a 150K - 200K in machinery is hard to recover from. I don't think I need to explain what a pasture fire will do any cattle that get trapped.

The Pilot is best suited to staying in wheel tracks on the edge of a field or in a pasture.
Where is there any mention of crops or cattle?
The OP said "light farm work".
Isn't this what is meant by a "light farm"?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Where is there any mention of crops or cattle?
The OP said "light farm work".
Isn't this what is meant by a "light farm"?

Herding photons to make the yummy electrons we all want. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts