Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after spending times reading threads about Honda Pilot issues, do you guys still consider the Honda Pilot as the number ONE on the list to own as a family SUV?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,035 Posts
I’d definitely consider other makes if we had to replace our Pilot. Hopefully that’s a decision which is years down the line because I’d never willing get rid of my family’s 2005 which has been a great vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
175 Posts
I would say that the Pilot still is the #1 family SUV. All makes and models have issues for sure, but I think the Pilot has far less compared to the competition. Read any other forum for a direct competitor of the Pilot and you will see they all have problems. Then consider the history of the manufacturer and decide what risk you are willing to take. I have never had problems with any of my Honda's and that is why I stayed with them. I was very close to buying a new Traverse, but I wouldn't sleep comfortably knowing that the previous model had major problems (4 friends and family members have the Lambda platforms) and I was not convinced that they fixed the problems with the new ones.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I'm with @road2cycle on this one. Someday in the distant future I hope, I'd look at the track record of the Telluride and Palisade if I were looking for something comparable, but I hope to keep my 2006 at least until it achieves classic car status. ??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yep, I can't find any 3 row SUV that I'd trade my Pilot for, and I've considered them all. I had a list of features that were "must haves", and too many manufacturers required opting for the higher end models which included a bunch of expensive items(20 in tires/wheels, start/stop, EPB, panoramic sun roof, etc) that I had no use for. I don't place a lot of weight on cosmetics, but that Palisade is butt ugly - 2nd only to the Aztec! I will avoid CVT transmissions, turbos and Korean cars.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
I just couldn’t ever own a Hyundai or a Kia. People rave about the warranty but why do they need a 10 year warranty? Are they that crappy? Plus I’d have to switch mechanics (they only work on Honda’s) and I could never do that.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,035 Posts
I equate longer warranty with confidence in your product. Why would a vehicle manufacturer open itself to the liability of 5 years / 40k miles more potential warranty claims compared to its competitors? If they were making garbage they’d soon be out of business unless every warranty claim was denied.

Reactions: IvoryHemi

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. Yep, I can't find any 3 row SUV that I'd trade my Pilot for, and I've considered them all. I had a list of features that were "must haves", and too many manufacturers required opting for the higher end models which included a bunch of expensive items(20 in tires/wheels, start/stop, EPB, panoramic sun roof, etc) that I had no use for. I don't place a lot of weight on cosmetics, but that Palisade is butt ugly - 2nd only to the Aztec! I will avoid CVT transmissions, turbos and Korean cars.
    I agree that the palisade os an ugly car. How about telluride?

·
Registered
172 Posts
after spending times reading threads about Honda Pilot issues, do you guys still consider the Honda Pilot as the number ONE on the list to own as a family SUV?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
We're on our second Pilot. The '12 was relatively trouble free - two visits to the shop for transmission issues but that was after it had 80K on it. It was covered by the CPO warranty. We've put another 20K on it since and it's had no further issues. In two days our daughter is flying into town to come pick it up, as we are gifting it to her. The '12 has been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned long-term.

We bought the '19 on Labor Day and it's got about 1000 miles on it. I thought I was experiencing the audio popping that others reported, but it turned out to be just bugs hitting the windshield (it's the tail end of lovebug season here in FL). For some reason, bug hits sound louder in this car than my other vehicles. I had one incident where the audio output stopped after I had switched to Android Auto. But, after I disconnected my phone and switched back to FM, sound output was non-existent until I turned off the engine and restarted. I have not been able to replicate the issue.

I considered other vehicles - Highlander and the Palisade/Telluride siblings. We just ended up not getting that far. Went to the Honda dealer first and were able to make a deal. Besides, my wife wanted another Pilot. She loves the '12 that much, in fact she hasn't stopped driving it. She'll be driving it until our daughter leaves with it this weekend. It would have been an uphill battle to get her to go for one of the others over another Pilot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've considered Ascent, Atlas, Traverse, and Pilot when deciding for a 7-8 seater SUV. Telluride/Palisde were both out of the image as I've had horrible experience with both 2017 Tucson and 2019 Santa Fe that we owned/own.

From DCT transmission issue to backup camera not turning off until speed reaches over 40 mph.. a lot of these issues still hasn't been addressed/fixed by Hyundai/Kia (both same auto company). Being a Korean with a lot of friends and family who owns and works for Hyundai Motor corporate in Korea know about these issues but leaderships are not taking any action. Lawsuits are made in Korea regarding the faulty DCT in a lot of their cars which caused accidents and deaths in S. Korea especially with most of their selling models are equipped with Diesel engines (hefty torque and DCT.. no good).

Traded in my Tucson for the Pilot last month. Couldn't drive that Tucson any longer.. had to pull over multiple times because of transmission overheating.. car only had 12K miles. Dealer straight up told me too that its a known issue and nothing can me done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 as well with 210,000 miles. I don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. What a great utility vehicle!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I equate longer warranty with confidence in your product. Why would a vehicle manufacturer open itself to the liability of 5 years / 40k miles more potential warranty claims compared to its competitors? If they were making garbage they’d soon be out of business unless every warranty claim was denied.
When it comes to making rather junky vehicles then evolving to very high quality ones, Hyundai and Kia probably take the crown. From all I've read, they make quality, reliable vehicles. As I am very happy with my 2012 Pilot and my wife loves her 2018 CR-V, I don't plan on changing makes of vehicles. My Pilot has just over 50,000 miles on it so I'll be driving it for many years to come. It still looks like new inside and out. I am very pleased with the service our Honda dealer provides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We’re currently vehicle shopping because of our 16’s fuel injector issues and while I LOVE Honda, I can’t bring myself to trade for a 2020 Pilot after seeing the TSB constantly grow with each new model year included. My husband is a Toyota guy, so I’m waiting to take a look at the new Highlander (I really don’t like the current model).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been a self proclaimed Honda loyalist (I still am). My 05 Pilot is still going strong, with only a few issues (radiator breaking was the biggest one).
I just passed this workhorse on to my kid in college (she was 3 when we got it). That being stated....I rolled the dice and got a Kia Tellurdide :eek:

I know, I know....my wife was surprised as well that I'd even consider a Kia, let alone buying one.

But, time will tell if this was a good/bad decision. It's only been less than a month but I'm liking all the features so far.
Reliability will be the biggest test for me, since all my Hondas have set that bar high.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We are on our 3rd Honda, all bought new. From a 2005 CR-V to 2007 Pilot EX (decided we needed a bigger car) After 6 years and zero issues in over 80k miles, traded for 2013 EX cause I absolutely LOVED the 2012-15 look and features. Almost 90k on it now, other than usual maintenance, only had one transmission sensor failure. (Knock on wood)

I absolutely detest, loathe and abhor the 2016+ Pilot look. Pre-2016 was DISTINCTIVE. Now it looks GENERIC. And it looks like reliability has taken a major nosedive as well. If I had to look for a replacement now, I highly doubt I would consider a Pilot. I hope I will not have to for a while. If something happened to Pilot, I actually might be looking at a 2020 Chevy Tahoe LT. We rented a Tahoe for our trip down California coast (SF - Monterey - Santa Barbara- LA) last year, and we were all quite pleased with it. Of course, it's twice the price of Pilot...

Kia... Telluride does look nice. We had a 2009 Kia Rio5 as a secondary car, recently traded it in for 2019 Subaru Crosstek. After 10 years, it had less than 25k miles on it. It needed major shocks work early on, it had a few coil failures, A/C compressor failed late summer of 2019, and transmission felt like it was about to die. So not much confidence in Kia, but hey, it was a $13,000 car.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
We are on our 3rd Honda, all bought new. From a 2005 CR-V to 2007 Pilot EX (decided we needed a bigger car) After 6 years and zero issues in over 80k miles, traded for 2013 EX cause I absolutely LOVED the 2012-15 look and features. Almost 90k on it now, other than usual maintenance, only had one transmission sensor failure. (Knock on wood)

I absolutely detest, loathe and abhor the 2016+ Pilot look. Pre-2016 was DISTINCTIVE. Now it looks GENERIC. And it looks like reliability has taken a major nosedive as well. If I had to look for a replacement now, I highly doubt I would consider a Pilot. I hope I will not have to for a while. If something happened to Pilot, I actually might be looking at a 2020 Chevy Tahoe LT. We rented a Tahoe for our trip down California coast (SF - Monterey - Santa Barbara- LA) last year, and we were all quite pleased with it. Of course, it's twice the price of Pilot...

Kia... Telluride does look nice. We had a 2009 Kia Rio5 as a secondary car, recently traded it in for 2019 Subaru Crosstek. After 10 years, it had less than 25k miles on it. It needed major shocks work early on, it had a few coil failures, A/C compressor failed late summer of 2019, and transmission felt like it was about to die. So not much confidence in Kia, but hey, it was a $13,000 car.
I do think "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". When someone wrote the Palisade is ugly and asked of its sibling the Telluride, I was going to reply with uglier. I think this is a subjective area. I find the new generation Honda Pilots to be more sleek, streamlined and refined. Despite what appears to be a lot of complaints, I still find the Pilot more reliable than their Korean counterparts. The only other competitor to the Pilot that I would consider is the Highlander but the features I get on my Pilot exceed what the 2019 Highlander offered.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Take off the logo badges, and you'd be hard-pressed to recognize it among other midsize SUVs. What drew me to Pilot in the first place is gone. '12-15 looked aggressive and powerful. '16+ looks like a minivan. But yeah, MY opinion.
I hated the 'sleeking down' of the 2007 CR-V as well.

Not too big fan of Telluride either, but if the choice was either that or the Pilot, then definitely the KIA.

I mean, I would never consider something like a Mercedes G or Tesla Cybertruck , but the slicked-down minivan look does nothing for me either.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts