Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing the point, but after going to the trouble of aiming my Pilot fog lights so I could see them beyond the hood … since I can't run them without the headlights, I'm wondering what purpose they serve.

Fog lights used to be for fog, so you could see at night without the glare of the headlights reflected back at you, and also so you could be seen while your headlights were off.

I get it's illegal in some states to run with the headlights off at night and under some other bad weather conditions, but for driving in fog, to me, they're not much good for anything. Is it just me?

Having said all that, I will admit two things. I imagine in case some oncoming driver somehow misses your headlights being on, the fog lights may lower the chances your car becomes totally invisible. And secondly, I will say the fog lights do shed some light on the location of the curb inside a turn at night. But for fog … I don't get what good they are.

·
Administrator
15,517 Posts
I’ve found the best use for fog lights regardless of manufacture is to light up the edges of unlit country roads spot deer etc

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Maybe I'm missing the point, but after going to the trouble of aiming my Pilot fog lights so I could see them beyond the hood … since I can't run them without the headlights, I'm wondering what purpose they serve.

Fog lights used to be for fog, so you could see at night without the glare of the headlights reflected back at you, and also so you could be seen while your headlights were off.

I get it's illegal in some states to run with the headlights off at night and under some other bad weather conditions, but for driving in fog, to me, they're not much good for anything. Is it just me?

Having said all that, I will admit two things. I imagine in case some oncoming driver somehow misses your headlights being on, the fog lights may lower the chances your car becomes totally invisible. And secondly, I will say the fog lights do shed some light on the location of the curb inside a turn at night. But for fog … I don't get what good they are.
Keep in mind the stock fogs are same lumens as your brights .. Like rocky says mostly used to fill in the areas where light is needed .. myself I have 10k led as my mains and 12k for my brights and a 15k light bar on the front ... i drive alot in the country so i look like an UFO flying down the dirt roads :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve found the best use for fog lights regardless of manufacture is to light up the edges of unlit country roads spot deer etc
Hmmm … well, I can see that could be a use for them, maybe they should be called "Deer Lights?":) I haven't been lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a deer come that close to the car unless I was going very slow and in a state park.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind the stock fogs are same lumens as your brights .
My fog aren't anywhere near as bright as my brights ,,, or my low beams for that matter. I would think that would blind oncoming drivers unless you run with the fogs off..

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Fog lights are largely non-functional on modern vehicles. I would say a lot of this is attributable to headlights becoming better over the years that fog lights became irrelevant for their function, low beams on modern vehicles don't produce a lot of glare in heavy fog because the beam pattern is better engineered. I have experimented with this on my Traverse, which does allow fogs on without the headlights and the visibility is definitely better with the headlights on.

So I run my fog lights anytime my headlight is on for style and safety. With distracted drivers on the road I believe having additional "points" of light helps make you more visible.

Reactions: PJSWORLD

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fog light pattern is shorter (angled down) and much wider, providing better road visibility immediately in front and to the sides when moving at low speed in poor visibility conditions.
Beam-Patterns1_d78e6c23d1278cc3d0a9493ee29c9fa0d7d340f5.jpg

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts

Fog lights are to illuminate the edges of the road so you can keep from driving off the road in heavy fog. They're not special lights that cut through fog lol. That's why they're so low on the car. You shouldn't be aiming them and not sure how you did.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Fog lights are to illuminate the edges of the road so you can keep from driving off the road in heavy fog. They're not special lights that cut through fog lol. That's why they're so low on the car. You shouldn't be aiming them and not sure how you did.
Most vehicles have a small hole near the fog light that you can insert a screwdriver into and raise or lower the beam. I know the 2nd gens do.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I had no idea. Just always thought they were fixed.
Might as well be since 99% of the buying public will never adjust them. Just like how people never adjust their headlights, perfect example are the new ford HDs that use 4 bulbs for the low beam that blind the crap out of everyone when they load the bed up or fit it out. Stuff like that I would actually be willing to support in yearly inspections because it would minimize how blinded I am every day driving a sedan.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,954 Posts
Two other uses I have found for fog lights are:
1) Seeing the lane lines when it’s dark and raining, and
2) An alternative to daytime running lights. My Pilot doesn’t have fog lights, but on my Tacoma I modded it so the fog lights can be turned on any time. So I can run fog only, fog + DRL, or fog + headlights.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Might as well be since 99% of the buying public will never adjust them. Just like how people never adjust their headlights, perfect example are the new ford HDs that use 4 bulbs for the low beam that blind the crap out of everyone when they load the bed up or fit it out. Stuff like that I would actually be willing to support in yearly inspections because it would minimize how blinded I am every day driving a sedan.
Yeah people in lower vehicles flash me all the time thinking I have high beams on. It's just LED low beam, but if you're low to the ground I guess it looks like high beams. I have also been a victim of trucks with low beams on that look like giant spot lights! It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

DECO.
Your not the guy wishing you had fog lights instead of 2 black bubbles on your lower bumper. (y):cool:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Two other uses I have found for fog lights are:
1) Seeing the lane lines when it’s dark and raining, and
2) An alternative to daytime running lights. My Pilot doesn’t have fog lights, but on my Tacoma I modded it so the fog lights can be turned on any time. So I can run fog only, fog + DRL, or fog + headlights.
I did the same mod to my '12 Tacoma! I loved the look and wish it were that simple to do on all of my vehicles!

Yeah people in lower vehicles flash me all the time thinking I have high beams on. It's just LED low beam, but if you're low to the ground I guess it looks like high beams. I have also been a victim of trucks with low beams on that look like giant spot lights! It's ridiculous.
Yup my wife is getting that right now with her '15's retrofitted headlights. The beam pattern is absolutely perfect and is aimed properly, it's just the rolling hills around here other vehicles fall under your cutoff line pretty frequently.

But we still have plenty of people running crappy LED and HID PNP kits that scatter the light all of the place and they don't give a crap about how they are blinding other drivers.

DECO.
Your not the guy wishing you had fog lights instead of 2 black bubbles on your lower bumper. (y):cool:
I truly wish we had rear fog lights available. Unlike the front fog lights I'd only run them in poor weather conditions but I find them to be very valuable in those conditions.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
There is a built in trailer hitch wiring conector accessible through, behind and up above where the jack is stored. You could aftermarket a lot of things.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
There is a built in trailer hitch wiring conector accessible through, behind and up above where the jack is stored. You could aftermarket a lot of things.
I have no issue running a full wiring harness... electrical work is something I am pretty good at. For me it's the OEM appearance, I would need to get the Russian rear bumper and fog lights so it all looks squeaky clean OEM fresh.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have no issue running a full wiring harness... electrical work is something I am pretty good at. For me it's the OEM appearance, I would need to get the Russian rear bumper and fog lights so it all looks squeaky clean OEM fresh.
Russian bumper? Got a pic?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I like the taillights too. And they got a number of other features above what our Touring got. I guess Honda didn't want to encroach on the MDX at that time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts