Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised that my search didn't turn up more info on this here so I guess I'll have to ask. :)

I had an aftermarket security system installed on my Accord back in Novemeber 1991. I can't remember if a factory one was not available or if I was just convinced that the aftermarket one was better. I do know it came with a lot of bells and whistles. I'm wondering what the factory installed Pilot security system is like. I don't expect a salesman to know the answers to these questions and I couldn't find anything about it on the honda web site.

1) If you have a key but not the arm/disarm thingy how do you shut up the alarm once you open the door?

2) Is there a "valet switch" which allows you to disable the alarm?

3) Does it have glass breakage sensors?

4) Does it have sensors on every door and the tailgate?

5) Does it have motion sensors so that if a thief simply tries to tow it a away it will go off?

6) Does it go off if someone clips the battery cable?

7) Does it disable the starter when it goes off?

The answer to all of these questions is yes for the system on my Accord and I'm wondering if I will be losing any of these features. Actually my Accord system went cafluey (kafluey?) [malfunctioned] at about 140,000 miles but by then I was considerably less worried about theft. :D

Thanks for any info you can provide about the system.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1) Put key in ignition I think
2) no valet switch
3) Dont think so
4) I think just the doors, but I could be wrong on this one
5) Dont think so
6) not sure here either, but dont think so
7) the starter id linked to a chip in the key, so i suppose yes it does

not much help was I, but you definatly get more with an aftermarket,

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whitepilot said:

not much help was I, but you definatly get more with an aftermarket,
Thanks for the help you did give. A concern I have about aftermarket is that if you have an electircal problem you could end up with a situation where the Dealer and the AfterMarket installer are pointing fingers at each other.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
1) key in the ignition
2) no
3) no
4) yes (vehicle won't lock it the tailgate is open)
5) no
6) no...I think :)
7) probably, but then the alarm can't be set when the vehicle is running and the car won't start without a valid transponder key

It's a basic alarm system which sounds (if armed) when any of the doors are opened or unlocked from inside . The immobilizer always checks for the correct transponder key and operates separately from the alarm system.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tim.s said:

It's a basic alarm system which sounds (if armed) when any of the doors are opened or unlocked from inside .
Thanks for being brave enough to deliver the bad news.
florida_guy :twak: tim.s (a.k.a. the messenger)

I wonder if it's possible (and economically intelligent) to upgrade the system aftermarket without having to replace it completely.

Of course I could order LX but then I get no power drivers seat or auto-climate control either.

Decisions decisions :8:

Thanks for the links to the other threads by the way. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Long story short, pilot parked in a parking lot on a sunday far from home windows down and no key in sight (front windows) cooler full of beer in the back when I left, gone when I returned Then I get in the car having only locked the doors manually since I didnt have the fob and the alarm goes off on me, dont know if it went off when they opened the tailgate to steal my cooler, but it sure didnt deter them any. found my keys when the parking lot emptied and drove home rather thirsty.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
whitepilot said:
Long story short, pilot parked in a parking lot on a sunday far from home windows down and no key in sight (front windows) cooler full of beer in the back when I left, gone when I returned Then I get in the car having only locked the doors manually since I didnt have the fob and the alarm goes off on me, dont know if it went off when they opened the tailgate to steal my cooler, but it sure didnt deter them any. found my keys when the parking lot emptied and drove home rather thirsty.
Parked with the windows down and the key somewhere in the car with a cooler full of beer in the car and you are upset the alarm did not scare them?

What was that line from Forest Gump? :2:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whitepilot said:
Long story short, pilot parked in a parking lot on a sunday far from home windows down and no key in sight (front windows) cooler full of beer in the back when I left, gone
I don't like the fact that they can apparently, smash a window and grab anything they can reach without opening a door and no alarm, one bit.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
That's what insurance is for!

florida_guy said:

I don't like the fact that they can apparently, smash a window and grab anything they can reach without opening a door and no alarm, one bit.
Love that $0 deductable.

Not only did they take the beer, but I had a brand new set of tools in the back! :2:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
whitepilot said:
Do you mean to say that the keys were in the car and your mad that they stole the cooler? Your lucky you still have a car!:eek: (guess I'm a "cooler's half full" kinda guy)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kemosabe said:
My neighbor uses an old-fashioned, tried and true, alarm system... the only drawback is that it's gotta be replaced every 12-14 years... :D
The doggies wouldn't be too happy after I came back from 8 hours at the beach on a 92 degree day. :3:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: That's what insurance is for!

N_Jay said:

Love that $0 deductable.
Car insurance companies lite to retaliate against claims with raised rates.

Also, I like to take weekend trips around our state. I would have to cut my weekend short and drive home in hot weather with no way to close my window looking forward to taking Monday morning off from work to get my glass fixed. :3: :mad:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tim.s said:

4) yes (vehicle won't lock it the tailgate is open[/URL])
I was just re-reading this and just because it won't lock with it closed doesn't mean a thief can't use a crow far to pop it open after it is locked. If there is no alarm he has free rain to my stuff.

I keep lots of stuff in my vehicle which is why single me needs an SUV.

I'm wondering if I can take my EX to an after market place and have them add glass breakage sensors and if needed rear hatch sensor to my factory alarm.

·
Registered
307 Posts
lol no keys were not in the car, they were lost somewhere under another parked car,

·
Registered
138 Posts
florida_guy said:

Factory alarms don't even compare to aftermarket alarms. Also, many of those features such as window break sensors and motion sensors are extra even on your typical after market alarm package. Sometimes if not set correctly those types of sensors can generate false alarms, like when a hard wind blows or a heavy rain.

The main purpose of a factory alarm is to prevent someone from stealing your vehicle. Nothing more. Also, even on after market alarms - nothing happens until after someone tries something. In other words, in this case either way you'll be replacing your window.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rainbowslim said:

The main purpose of a factory alarm is to prevent someone from stealing your vehicle. Nothing more. Also, even on after market alarms - nothing happens until after someone tries something. In other words, in this case either way you'll be replacing your window.
Yeah, but if an alarm sounds he may be scared off before he takes my portable Garmin Navigation System, cell phone, etc.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: That's what insurance is for!

florida_guy said:

Car insurance companies lite to retaliate against claims with raised rates.

Not is it is not your fault.

Most comprehensive claims are not your fault!

P.S. I Little secret your insurance guy will not tell you;
You can have different deductibles for each part of the policy
E.G. $0 deductible on Comprehensive, and $1000 on Collision (Oh how they hate this combination!)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Re: That's what insurance is for!

N_Jay said:

Not is it is not your fault.

Most comprehensive claims are not your fault!

P.S. I Little secret your insurance guy will not tell you;
You can have different deductibles for each part of the policy
E.G. $0 deductible on Comprehensive, and $1000 on Collision (Oh how they hate this combination!)
I'll have to check my policy. I had a smash and grab last year and I ending paying for the whole thing out of my pocket because of deductibles. I've changed insurance companies since, but I'm not sure about this. Lot's of insurance stuff is different here in Florida than it was in Wisconsin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts