Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'w wondering what people think about the "Alarm" system that comes with the EX. I don't know about the rest of you but from the description, it really just seems like all your getting is Keyless entry and an Engine Immobilzer via a coded key!

So my question is, if someone breaks the glass on my car, will anything go off? Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket alarm system/remote starter? And what will that do with the warranty?

·
Registered
797 Posts
If they open the door after breaking the glass, the alarm should go off. To test it, roll down the window. Lock the Pilot. Reach in and open the door.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Right, you have almost everything an aftermarket has except for the shock and perimeter sensors. If you reached in and unlocked the car door by hand and opened the door the alarm will go off. To test sit in the car and arm the alarm ... manually unlock the door and open it ... it will go off ... that's all you get. I don't think there is an immobilizer other that if the coded key doesn't match the engine won't start.

PrG

·
Registered
56 Posts
After Market Alarms

It is true that the 'Stock' alarm system is pretty rudimentary.

You can get some awesome aftermarket Alarms that shouldn't affect your warranty.

I recommend ones WITHOUT the "Breaking Glass" feature. The truth of the matter is that they are set off by a simple decible meter - not by the frequency of glass breaking as some sales people might tell you. The result is that any time a Harley drives by with those big pipes, alarm will go off. The stock Pilot alarm doesn't have this feature - nor do I want it.

I recommend ones WITH a shock / vibration sensor - which will set off the alarm if someone hits your car in a parking lot or you are about to get towed.

Also a great new feature with aftermarket alarms is that many come with built in pagers. If your car alarm goes off, your key chain will start beeping like a smoke detector on speed!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm satisfied with the alarm system but have a beef with the sound it produces. I've always thought that having the alarm sound off via the horn was rather cheezy ;) . An alarm tone that such as "beep beep" that come from other alarms would be nice rather than the nasal sounding horn.

Toyotas alarm systems don't alert via the horn but rather a separate higher pitched "horn" which sounds much better. Sounding through the horn is ok but it just seems rather "cheap". :p

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does it matter? When was the last time anyone paid attention to a car alarm anyways? Can't think of when I did. Hopefully the thief will hear the horn and take off, but probably not.

On a lighter note, be careful of parking your car in a friend's driveway as you pick them up, leave the windows open, and out of habit lock the door. They will be happy to unlock the door through and grab a seat as you follow them out the door. Happened to me once. What a surprise for all the neighbors. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... (noting the bolder sound of my older car's horn!) Of course, I am sure they all ignored it anyway.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Actually, as I gave this more thought, I do pay attention. The last two car alarms I have seen were:

#1 - a co-worker, John, and his Audi A4 Station Wagon with its special "feature" where if the interior got to hot, the alarm went off. It was always, "Hey John, your alarm is going off, AGAIN!!!"

#2 - some guy in the parking lot near my work who was very flustered because his was going off and he could not get it turned off. He was looking under the hood and everything. BEEP BEEP BEEP

If it worth anything, I have ordered the locking lug nuts (for additional security). I know it pisses the dealership off everytime they have to use those keys to get the nuts off to rotate the tires. I am sure they will return the favor by putting them back on so tight that if I ever get a flat, I will be unable to get them to twist off with the factory tire iron. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
autobahn said:
Does it matter? When was the last time anyone paid attention to a car alarm anyways? Can't think of when I did. Hopefully the thief will hear the horn and take off, but probably not.
Probably more often than not folks ignore the alarms. My son's truck has been broken into TWICE (both times at his work parking lot) and he has an aftermarket alarm system that gives off a high pitch noise and the horn blows. A thief knows that most folks ingore an alarm and will continure on with his business.

If someones wants your car bad enough they'll steal it regardless of what kind of alarm system you have. They want it for parts anyhow.

I'm please with what Honda provides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strange alarm behavior

Tried what you said, alarm went off ONLY when I opened the door of the driver . Alam didn't go off if I open the rear doors or the front passenger door.

Now I am getting frustrated .... Is is just my EX-L or commom to all Pilots out there.

Odie

autobahn said:
If they open the door after breaking the glass, the alarm should go off. To test it, roll down the window. Lock the Pilot. Reach in and open the door.
:3:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good question. Have not tried. The description I gave is standard behavior for my Accord and my previously owned Mazda 626. Have not tested it on the Pilot. Will need to find somewhere that I can test it. Germany is extremely picky about honking horns unlike some of the other cultures over here who use them all the time. Anyone else tried? Maybe the system assumes that a passanger is opening up a locked door from the inside and not going off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts