Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the towing capacity for this vehicle? I have a 3600 lb total weight Flats -18ft- boat that I tow with conventional rear-wheel and AWD drive vehicles. The transverse engine in this Pilot is designed for FWD. How is it converted to AWD?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pilot Elite can tow 5000 lbs and should have a tongue weight of 600lbs. This information is in your owner's manual

Honda/Acura AWD platform uses a center transfer and a rear Diff with a transverse engine layout to transmit power using a propeller shaft. Essentially the same setup in every single AWD vehicles that they have birthed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
3500 lb capacity for the Touring/Elite AWD without the transmission cooler
5000 lb capacity if you add the cooler

The OEM cooler for the 9-speed is not cheap... I believe its around $400 USD parts only.

It was about $800 CAD supplied & installed for me (cooler only! Hitch, wiring, replacement rear lift gate sensor replacement and other ancilliaries are on top of that). Dealer pricing for the hitch/wiring/sensor supplied and installed is about $1500 CAD. All-in with the cooler is $2300 CAD.

You can go other after-market hitch options that hang down instead of integrate nicely with the rear bumper like the OEM one does for less $, but I don't believe there is any other option than OEM for the ZF 9-speed trans cooler.

Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
@BMPeter is correct. The cooler, unfortunately, is an accessory that you need to tow heavier loads. This 5K limit is only with the AWD. If you have a 2WD, then even with the cooler, you are limited to 3500lbs.

·
Banned
1 Posts
How is the towing capacity for this vehicle? I have a 3600 lb total weight Flats -18ft- boat that I tow with conventional rear-wheel and AWD drive vehicles. The transverse engine in this Pilot is designed for FWD. How is it converted to AWD?
2021 Honda Pilot Towing Capacity | CarIndigo.com, the page claims that 21 Pilot has a tow rating of 5000lbs. I couldn't find tow rating of each Pilot configuration,but Carindigo claims that EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A) tows upto 3500 lbs while Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Captain's Chairs (3.5L 6cyl 9A) tows 5000 lbs. What do you think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
2021 Honda Pilot Towing Capacity | CarIndigo.com, the page claims that 21 Pilot has a tow rating of 5000lbs. I couldn't find tow rating of each Pilot configuration,but Carindigo claims that EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A) tows upto 3500 lbs while Touring 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Captain's Chairs (3.5L 6cyl 9A) tows 5000 lbs. What do you think?
Rather than looking up third party websites who vastly take no ownership of material that they blindly copy and paste, it is always best to go to owners.honda.com and use the configurator to get some basic information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts