Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally went and did this mod. Super easy, super cheap, but big improvement. I never really saw any pics/vids on the 3rd gen pilot usually the Ridgeline. So here it is on our 3rd gen Pilot. Got the parts for <$30 shipped for both sides.

Before:
DSC05029.jpg

After:
DSC05038.JPG

Before:
DSC05031.JPG

After:
DSC05039.JPG

DSC05028.JPG
DSC05036.JPG

its hard to appreciate the improvement until its done and your right there opening the door all the way and see how much wider the opening is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone want to buy the original door catchers or whatever they are called? I dont ever see myself putting them back.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Really hadn't heard about this mod, but did do something similar on a ford F150 years ago. It allowed the door to open wider and also added an extra detent for the door to stop at, locking it into place.

How easy is this mod on the Pilot? Is it basically replacing the part? Just a few nuts or bolts? Is there a detent at the fully opened position which holds the door there?

On the Ford, had to remove it and install the new one very carefully as it could fall into the door itself. If that happened, then you had to take off the inner door panel to retrieve the part.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How easy is this mod on the Pilot? Is it basically replacing the part? Just a few nuts or bolts? Is there a detent at the fully opened position which holds the door there?
Check the YouTube videos -- they explain it all.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Really hadn't heard about this mod, but did do something similar on a ford F150 years ago. It allowed the door to open wider and also added an extra detent for the door to stop at, locking it into place.

On the Ford, had to remove it and install the new one very carefully as it could fall into the door itself. If that happened, then you had to take off the inner door panel to retrieve the part.

Had some spare time and just did a search regarding the Ridgeline door mod you mentioned as the source for your Pilot mod. I found this very informative YouTube video which contained all of the answers I asked questions about.

YouTube

One of the main points is to make sure you order the correct parts, one for the left side, one for the right side. They are marked and yes, they are actually for the front doors but work in the rear doors to allow a larger opening of the door.

72340-TG7-A02 Right Door
72380-TG7-A02 Left Door

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

it takes less than an hour to do both sides and thats with taking your time. only tools you need is a philips, a flat head to pry off some cover pieces, a 10mm and 13mm. If I had to do it over again probably will only take 30 mins to do both sides.

yes there is an extra detent that you also get with the wider opening.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you check to see if there is clearance on the door checker and the side of the opening? The slot for the checker out of the door was probably not designed for the angle the door is at, so I'd be interested to see if it engages the door itself when fully opened.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you check to see if there is clearance on the door checker and the side of the opening? The slot for the checker out of the door was probably not designed for the angle the door is at, so I'd be interested to see if it engages the door itself when fully opened.
Yea of course I did. If there was an issue here I wouldv e mentioned it. It opens just like it did and there is no touching or gaps etc. It's the perfect mod. No negatives at all

·
Registered
461 Posts

No issues at all. Did our Pilot when we did the Ridgeline a year ago. Simple mod and not expensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, very odd since the passport has it standard.
Looks like the 2019 Pilots may have the longer door checkers stock as well. My 19’ door opens fairly wide and I’m pleased with the opening clearance stock. Out of curiosity after seeing this thread I checked my 19’ and measured 29.5in from the opening to the armrest just like in the video of the Ridgeline. If this be the case, this great mod wouldn’t apply to the 2019 Pilots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^ wrong, just did this on a 19’ Elite. Big difference, the fronts are wider than the rears. The mod is to put front ones in the rear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
^^ wrong, just did this on a 19’ Elite. Big difference, the fronts are wider than the rears. The mod is to put front ones in the rear.
I stand corrected. Great if you need that extra clearance. I’m content with it stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea of course I did. If there was an issue here I wouldv e mentioned it. It opens just like it did and there is no touching or gaps etc. It's the perfect mod. No negatives at all
I think we're talking about two different things. If you look at the opening in the door where the lever comes out of the door itself, the stock door has like a millimeter of clearance when fully opened. I'd be curious to see that same clearance with the door full opened with the adjustment. Be great if you post a picture showing the metal arm doesn't touch the sides of the hole that is cut for it.

The reason I ask is someone posted about fabricating some sort of contact plate after the mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts