Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I cant believe it, My pilot has 1200 miles on it still smells like brand new and on Monday 5-5-03 some f***ing idiot decides to cut me off, while trying to avoid nailing this guy I did some defensive driving trying with all my might to avoid him. Well I did that part good, the guy who cut me off I missed but I managed to clip the guy in front of him. My driver side front took all the damage looks like I am in for a new bumper and some other stuff. There goes those perfect state farm insurance rates!! To all you piloteers be very aware that our Pilots do very bad in low speed collisions take it from me first hand. I hit this guy at maybe tops at 10 mph and it looks like I am in for $2500-$3000 damage. I am not knocking Honda or anything I am in love with my pilot just beware that they do use recycled pepsi cans on parts of our Pilots. :( For those of you who are wondering if I have any pics I could not stomach looking at this for more than a minute at a time let alone shoot some nice high res. digi photos maybe I can have my wife do it and I will upload some. You guys want to know the worst thing, the pilot is the wife's vehicle I just borrowed it for the day because my trucks battery died. Damn what luck huh. Anyways its going in the shop today. If anyone else on the board has decided upon themselves to do there own crash test rating like myself let me know.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
First, let me offer my condolences. Second, your insurance rates may not go up - we have State Farm, and we're allowed to have one "free" chargeable crash and still get the accident-free rate.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
tracy said:
First, let me offer my condolences. Second, your insurance rates may not go up - we have State Farm, and we're allowed to have one "free" chargeable crash and still get the accident-free rate.
Ditto on the condolences!!! My experience with State Farm was the same when I had a fairly sizable claim back in the mid-80's. Luckily, no significant claims since then!!

:eek:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My sister had State Farm and was hit by another driver with State Farm. So...State Farm couldn't collect the money from itself and denied both claims. She had to sue to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
lotagguts said:
I hit this guy at maybe tops at 10 mph and it looks like I am in for $2500-$3000 damage. I am not knocking Honda or anything I am in love with my pilot just beware that they do use recycled pepsi cans on parts of our Pilots. :(
my condolences...and glad everyone in the pilot were fine....there have been various Insurance institute tests showing the same on a bunch of SUVs .....they all seem to have extensive fender damage on 5mph to 10 mph crashes:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Just a sec, It was not your fault right? You could not avoid or predict the outcome after this loser cut you off. A witness should clear all this up. Your insurance should not go up if proven it was not your fault.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
tim.s said:
My sister had State Farm and was hit by another driver with State Farm. So...State Farm couldn't collect the money from itself and denied both claims. She had to sue to get reimbursed.
Wow. We were hit by another State Farm driver once, and they had no problem paying us. They didn't want to pay enough, and we had to get a little stern about that, but that's another story.

·
Registered
266 Posts
gopilot said:
Just a sec, It was not your fault right? You could not avoid or predict the outcome after this loser cut you off. A witness should clear all this up. Your insurance should not go up if proven it was not your fault.
A friend was hit by a woman in an RV that ran a red light. The car next to him witnessed the accident but the woman's insurance denied the claim stating it was my friends responsiblity to make sure the intersection was clear before entering it. My point is there is always "something" you can do to avoid an accident and some insurance companies use this logic to avoid claims. If someone cuts you off and you hit them it is their fault, if you avoid the person and hit someone else it may become your fault

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now i realized why they sell no fault insurance ...Blame game .hmm .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Wow lotaguts! So sorry to hear about your accident.
Again... glad everyone is OK. Hope insurance works out in your favor. Stick to your guns.
Would like (wrong word) to see pics if & when you can stand to take 'em. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actuallly the vehicle is in the shop now waiting for a state farm adjuster to view it. State Farm has not indicated that they are not going to cover everything in fact its going smooth so far and it seems like all the bodyshop needs is the go ahead to do the job and its done. As far as for the post for bad crash tests rating I knew this even before buying the pilot that practically all SUV's on the market have bad 5 to 10 mph test ratings, but I did not think it was going to be this bad. Ex. My dad drives a 2003 Z-71 Chevy Tahoe which is in a different class vehicle than the pilot but was involved in the same type of crash which did around $350.00 damage and my Pilot looks to be about $1500.00 in damage man was I pissed at least its not the $2500-3000 like I thought. Anyways, thanks for everyones input and I pray to god that what you say is true about my state farm rates. I try to be a safe driver and this sh*t happens. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear that, that would suck especially on a new vehicle.

We hit a deer with our old Jeep GC, I probably slowed down to about 45-50, the deer flew for the first and last time in it's life and we ended up with almost 3k in damages. luckily the air bags didn't deploy but the damage sure didn't look like 3k worth. I guess now a days it dosn't take much!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here in PA.....they have this law...if the offending driver has been incapacitated by illness or whatnot, he is not responsilbe for anything. Its what happened to my wife's C-240. Old lady forgot to give herself an insulin shot and started driving in a daze. She rear ended my wife and their insurance didn't give a cent. We ended up just shouldering the $450 repair.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's supposed to accordian in a crash

I read the safety marketing materials and it is clear that the extreme ends are specifically designed to crush up easily.

The shell/frame gets tougher the closer you get to the passenger "envelope". It is all part of their crash protection. It's meant to protect the occupants from injury by sacrificing the vehicle ends to absorb the crash energy.

Yup, I do realize that we want Both crash protection and minimal damage. But that's not available yet. ( need new approaches or a change in the laws of physics to get that.)

The Pilot got great crash ratings. That the trade off we purchased.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Re: It's supposed to accordian in a crash

You are absolutely correct. See my Civic below.

The doors still opened, the cabin was undamaged.

The car was totalled. It was two years old & had 22,000 miles on it. I walked away.

Honda knows crumple zones. Yes!

Regards,

Walt

Loutog said:
I read the safety marketing materials and it is clear that the extreme ends are specifically designed to crush up easily.

The shell/frame gets tougher the closer you get to the passenger "envelope". It is all part of their crash protection. It's meant to protect the occupants from injury by sacrificing the vehicle ends to absorb the crash energy.

Yup, I do realize that we want Both crash protection and minimal damage. But that's not available yet. ( need new approaches or a change in the laws of physics to get that.)

The Pilot got great crash ratings. That the trade off we purchased.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Alamat said:
Here in PA.....they have this law...if the offending driver has been incapacitated by illness or whatnot, he is not responsilbe for anything. Its what happened to my wife's C-240. Old lady forgot to give herself an insulin shot and started driving in a daze. She rear ended my wife and their insurance didn't give a cent. We ended up just shouldering the $450 repair.
You just explain that she can pay or you are filing with the DMV to pull her license due to incompetance to drive.
Then threaten her DR. for not already haveing her license pulled.

(My neck is hurting just thinking about the posibilities)

·
Registered
266 Posts
N_Jay said:

You just explain that she can pay or you are filing with the DMV to pull her license due to incompetance to drive.
Then threaten her DR. for not already haveing her license pulled.

(My neck is hurting just thinking about the posibilities)
It is not her doctors responsibility to monitor her driving nor can he be accountable for someone forgetting to take their meds.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
pjb3 said:

It is not her doctors responsibility to monitor her driving nor can he be accountable for someone forgetting to take their meds.
well mcdonalds was responsible for serving hot coffee :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Holy cow, sorry to hear about your accident, lotagguts! It must be especially hard to take it since you were the one trying to avoid an accident in the first place. I hope that ahole who cut you off ends up in a ditch somewhere, upside down. I mean it, time again, I see drivers like that without a care or respect towards other drivers. We just don't need them on our roads.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
pjb3 said:

It might be his responsibility if a "Reasonable person" in his position would have / could have expected it.

Not a lawer. just like to argue with them. (everyone need a hobby)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts