Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Pilot Cargo Large Enough For Washer Or Dryer?

33K views 69 replies 21 participants last post by  jay 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there had to haul one of these or both? My piece or junk 3 year old GE washer/dryer set need to be replaced already. Is it possible to haul one of these in a pilot?

Do I have to swallow my pride and borrow a truck from people that will laugh at me for thinking my Pilot is a truck?
Please tell me it's doable with all seats folded down. My husband says "no way babe"
Fingers crossed:confused:

#2 ·
74PILOTMOM said:
Has anyone out there had to haul one of these or both? My piece or junk 3 year old GE washer/dryer set need to be replaced already. Is it possible to haul one of these in a pilot?

Do I have to swallow my pride and borrow a truck from people that will laugh at me for thinking my Pilot is a truck?
Please tell me it's doable with all seats folded down. My husband says "no way babe"
Fingers crossed:confused:
My money is on you!!!! As long as you do one at a time, they should fit (laying on their back).

(BTW, buy a Maytag this time)

#4 ·
Hope you're right!

Oh by the way...don't make me scan in another consumer reports chart! Maytag can't touch a Whirlpool!
Going for the front loading WHirlpool DUET set. I just hope their boxes arent HUGE. Oh jeez...just had a flash of future cardboard box houses and creations in my livingroom. I'd better hide them from my kids.

#5 ·
my3kids said:
It will hold a 4X6 piece of plywood. A dryer boxed for shipment isn't nearly that tall. You'll be fine.
You guys are making me feel so much better. Thanks :)
I'm going to have to take photos of my pilot loaded up for the next piloteer questioning this.

#6 ·
Like I said - you will have to lay it on it's back as the opening is only 35.5" high and most machines are around 36" tall.

So the whirlpool is better than a maytag? Yep, you better get that scanner warmed up!!!

:2:

#7 ·
Oh you gotta take a picture!! :4:

#8 ·
I'm so ashamed:

colorider said:
Like I said - you will have to lay it on it's back as the opening is only 35.5" high and most machines are around 36" tall.

So the whirlpool is better than a maytag? Yep, you better get that scanner warmed up!!!

:2:
Okay, so I was looking at the wrong repair history chart. Since I started this:

Least repair prone:

Dishwashers: Whirlpool
Washing machines: Maytag
Dryers gas and electric: Whirlpool

So you were right, motorcycle man!

#9 ·
Sage said:
Oh you gotta take a picture!! :4:
If it DOESN'T fit, I'll feel it is my duty to post that too :(

Should be soon. My neighbors are going to kill me if I don't give my ear piercing screeeeeeeching dryer the torch.
My appliances are all 3-5 year old GE, and breaking down...never again. No more GE appliances.

#10 ·
Re: I'm so ashamed:

74PILOTMOM said:

Okay, so I was looking at the wrong repair history chart. Since I started this:

Least repair prone:

Dishwashers: Whirlpool
Washing machines: Maytag
Dryers gas and electric: Whirlpool

So you were right, motorcycle man!
Really? I know it USED to be that way - but I have not read a CR for ages. I've owned both, but currently own one of the top-load Maytags. I would REALLY like to get a front loader as they are much more efficient from both a water usage and power.

So, which are you going to buy now?? :confused:

(I'm sure either would be good):)

#11 ·
74PILOTMOM said:

If it DOESN'T fit, I'll feel it is my duty to post that too :(

Should be soon. My neighbors are going to kill me if I don't give my ear piercing screeeeeeeching dryer the torch.
My appliances are all 3-5 year old GE, and breaking down...never again. No more GE appliances.
Some people believe that GE should have stuck with making light bulbs......:2:

#13 ·
WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

I JUST LOVE THESE. I don't know if you have a Lowe's where you live, but they have these for $997washer, $799 dryer. Sears sells the same washer for $1,399. Yikes. I can't even really justify the $997, but I think front loaders are the way to go. This particular washer just won a popular mechanics design and engineering award. The washer uses 68% less water and 67% less electricity.

Are we still at the Honda Pilot website?
I'm guilty of threaddrift!:eek:

#14 ·
Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

74PILOTMOM said:
I JUST LOVE THESE. I don't know if you have a Lowe's where you live, but they have these for $997washer, $799 dryer. Sears sells the same washer for $1,399. Yikes. I can't even really justify the $997, but I think front loaders are the way to go. This particular washer just won a popular mechanics design and engineering award. The washer uses 68% less water and 67% less electricity.

Thanks for the info!

Since it was YOUR thread, and it is still about W & D, I'd say your are not guilty!!! :2:

(Beats talking about Goodyear tires all the time!!!) :12:

#15 ·
Re: Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

colorider said:

Thanks for the info!

Since it was YOUR thread, and it is still about W & D, I'd say your are not guilty!!! :2:

(Beats talking about Goodyear tires all the time!!!) :12:
Ok - Well since we're not drifting here...

What's the benefit of the front load - besides saving water, etc. Has anyone know anybody that has one? Why do you love 'em so much 74P?

#16 ·
I am about to ask the same questions cause I need to buy the laundry set for my new house. Can't go to the Duet though cause its too pricy for me.

Waiting for you picture.

#17 ·
I hear the washing machines are more gentle on clothes too, no agitator in the tub. They also spin dry your clothes better, needing less dryer time. The dryer has an LED time remaining display.

Best feature- you can see your Pilot in the glass when you pull into the garage. Now there's a real must have:29:

Attachments

#18 ·
74PILOTMOM said:

Best feature- you can see your Pilot in the glass when you pull into the garage. Now there's a real must have:29:

OH! You are TOO good! :4:

#19 ·
Re: Re: Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

Sage said:

Ok - Well since we're not drifting here...

What's the benefit of the front load - besides saving water, etc. Has anyone know anybody that has one? Why do you love 'em so much 74P?
Well, since we're not drifting... :p

Front loaders don't have an agitator. This leaves more room for your clothes, and is supposedly gentler on them as well. I wouldn't know, since I have a Kenmore (forgive me, it seemed like a good idea at the time.) But I believe you have to use special low-suds detergent, so that's a potential drawback. Oh yeah, and the hundreds of dollars more they cost, as well. I still want one though. :(

edited to add... d'oh! Didn't see 74Pilotmom's response before I posted.

#20 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

tracy said:

.... But I believe you have to use special low-suds detergent, so that's a potential drawback. Oh yeah, and the hundreds of dollars more they cost, as well. I still want one though. :(
\

OH MAN! Where the heck am I going to find THAT?
I've never seen anything like that...maybe because I wasn't looking. Sounds expensive though. I'll have to be the official front loader guinea pig. IF MY HUSBAND LETS ME $pend the ca$h.

#21 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

74PILOTMOM said:
I've never seen anything like that...maybe because I wasn't looking. Sounds expensive though.
Or maybe the rules have changed since I investigated this... it's been a few years. I think I've seen low-suds Tide at Wally World.

Aerostar, remember, you don't have to get a matched set. You could get a nice front-load washer and a cheaper dryer.

#22 ·
We went with the Whirlpool Gold washer and dryer. It was the highest rated top loader, nearly as high as the top rated front loader, but it washed clothes faster. Some of those front loaders take over an hour to run their cycle.

As a matter of fact, the matched set washes and dries clothes in the same amount of time, which is nice when you have a couple of kids and are perpetually doing laundry.

#23 ·
Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

74PILOTMOM said:

I'm going with the Duets when we build our new house in the next year. You are right about Sears' price. I thought they'd be the best deal -- wrong!!

Another big plus for the Duets is that the washer and dryer have the same cycle time - no waiting on the dryer!

I have Maytags right now. Plan to leave them with this house when we sell. Had them 8 years now, and they are still going strong, but I really want the front loaders.

#24 ·
Re: Re: WHIRLPOOL DUET, BABY

catbert said:

I'm going with the Duets when we build our new house in the next year. You are right about Sears' price. I thought they'd be the best deal -- wrong!!
In the past, Sears has always been willing to pricematch. Dunno if still the case. I'm a fan of theirs for tools and appliances, and our experiences buying from them have been pretty good...so we try and throw them our business when we're in the market.

Oh, btw, those considering front-loaders should check w/the local H2O utility. Ours (EBMUD) offers rebate$ on them.

#25 ·
74PILOTMOM said:
Has anyone out there had to haul one of these or both? My piece or junk 3 year old GE washer/dryer set need to be replaced already. Is it possible to haul one of these in a pilot?...
Don't worry, I'm sure they will fit. I've hauled a mid-sized freezer and a treadmill (still in box) in my Jeep GC and the Pilot cargo are is much bigger.

Just be carefull the old washer doesn't leak water if you are hauling it out with the Pilot.

Also, you might want to check and see if the new units can be hauled laying down (what ever model you get). I'd hate for the drums or motors to be damaged in transit.
...hope you get the Duets...;)

#26 ·
Careful Laying it Down...

Be careful laying down any new machines. On washers there is a small hole in the workings that holds a lubricating fluid. If you lay it down it will leak out. The only reason I have this useless information is I picked up a new washer this weekend and he the Sears rep warned me.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.