Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one of those SUV tents on a Pilot? Would like to know what MFG. Some dealers say anything with an opening of 12 to 19 ft total, and of course Pilot is not listed as a tested vehicle yet.
Thanks for any assistance.
Chuck/w9nwr

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm, looks... interesting. What is the purpose? I ask because the family and I are planning on camping in the Sequoia's (the park, not the car) this summer and are thinking of buying a tent vs. borrowing my brother's. I was thinking of just getting a standard 4-6 person tent but had never heard of what you are describing, except on the beautiful Pontiac Aztec.

·
Registered
145 Posts
W9NWR: Do you have a link for the tent in the picture. It does look...interesting...and I wonder how comfortable sleeping in the back of the Pilot is. Anyone try sleeping back there with a sleeping bag?

--Bret

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smurray......well near as I can tell the purpose would be that if you used the Pilot for sleeping (fold down all the seats) then that amount of room would be available within the tent portion for other "stuff." The Pilot back hatch forms the roof support for the extension. Must admit that this arrangement would get you off the ground. Think I will throw a sleeping bag in the Pilot one night here at the house and see how it works out!
Also more room for continuous storage until your sleeping bags are put in place.
Bret...the URL (there are a few more out there, just do a search with SUV TENT.)

http://www.truckextras.com/products/sportz_suv.asp

Now how weather tight it would be I just don't know, they tout that it has elastic cord that forms the seal around the back hatch. So we plug in the 12VDC fan into a power outlet and off we go,,,no can't do that key must be on accessory eh..oh well.

Chuck

·
Registered
964 Posts
That makes sense. I guess I never thought about sleeping in the Pilot. I guess you could fit an air mattress in there and you would be pretty comfortable and stowing your gear in the tent would add more available room in the car. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
One of the advantages is that you don't have to unpack a lot of your camping junk. Leave it in the car and sleep in the tented area. The Pilot becomes the "storage room" immediatly off your sleeping area. Clothing, equipment, etc - all within easy reach of your tent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts