Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring with 27K miles on it. I noticed a slow start recently and today the dealership said I have a bad battery. They also told me that batteries are on backorder and taking about three weeks to come in. Has anyone else experienced this? They gave me a loaner (CRV) which I’m grateful for but I never imagined I’d be waiting three weeks for a replacement battery.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring with 27K miles on it. I noticed a slow start recently and today the dealership said I have a bad battery. They also told me that batteries are on backorder and taking about three weeks to come in. Has anyone else experienced this? They gave me a loaner (CRV) which I’m grateful for but I never imagined I’d be waiting three weeks for a replacement battery.
At least they gave you a loaner vehicle.
Would they consider taking the battery out of a new vehicle on the lot to put in your Pilot?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Why can't you just get a new battery from an auto parts store? 3 weeks seems insane.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a lead acid battery “loaner” in my 2019 Pilot right now because of this back order. Been a week and a half already.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I'd have no problem racking up the miles on their loaner car a few days. 😁

Reactions: PHM and ys1219

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why can't you just get a new battery from an auto parts store? 3 weeks seems insane.
I'm guessing the dealer is replacing it under warranty, so the dealer probably has to use OE batteries. Up to the OP if he trusts the no-name batteries Honda has been using lately, especially since his 1 year old one died, but free replacement and a loaner sounds more desirable than buying a new one. My 5 year old original battery quit two weeks ago, and even a basic Duralast from Autozone had better cranking amps and reserve capacity.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Somehow I don't consider Johnson Control to be some no name battery co. Especially since they make many of the other brand of batteries that people talk about getting instead of a Honda battery such as Optima, Interstate, Die Hard, Champion, Wal-Mart, Toyota, BMW. and NASCAR. Any company that makes 1/3 of the worlds batteries definitely isn't a no name company.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Somehow I don't consider Johnson Control to be some no name battery co. Especially since they make many of the other brand of batteries that people talk about getting instead of a Honda battery such as Optima, Interstate, Die Hard, Champion, Wal-Mart, Toyota, BMW. and NASCAR. Any company that makes 1/3 of the worlds batteries definitely isn't a no name company.
Maybe they have changed, but my 2008 CR-V came with a battery that had no brand marking on it whatsoever, and the one that just died on my Pilot was from some Japanese electronic company I've not heard of and had Kanji writing all over it. Those brands you mention are well known as being made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Johnson Control no longer is in the battery business. They sold that part of their holdings to Clarios back in 2019. One of the major forums I follow has numerous posts regarding how the quality of "Johnson Control" batteries has declined. Optima and Interstate have also been mentioned as not being as good as they once were.

The top recommended battery is now those made by East Penn/Deka. Duracell car batteries are also made by East Penn

Johnson Control Sold Battery Business

The Wal-Mart and Interstate batteries are also no longer made by "Johnson Control"

Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi. Johnson Control does not make batteries for Wal-Mart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.) Common JCI battery brands are Optima and Duralast.

More Auto Battery Information

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post. I called Honda Customer Service on Friday to see if they had any updates or additional information on the battery backorder. The representative I spoke to said they had no record of the issue. Is that normal? I realize Honda had a lot going on, but it seems to me like this would be something they’d be monitoring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a lead acid battery “loaner” in my 2019 Pilot right now because of this back order. Been a week and a half already.
Did they give you any idea of what the timing would be for a replacement? I feel like everyone I’ve spoken to at Honda has no idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda is installing garbage OEM parts in new vehicles now. I have a 2017 Pilot Touring that needed new tires at 30k miles. The story about batteries going bad at under 30k miles fits Honda's poor choices. I just replaced an 8 yr. old battery in my BMW! Looking elsewhere for my next new vehicle. Honda going downhill fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Find a local garage that sells Interstate batteries and buy there.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
Honda is installing garbage OEM parts in new vehicles now. I have a 2017 Pilot Touring that needed new tires at 30k miles. The story about batteries going bad at under 30k miles fits Honda's poor choices. I just replaced an 8 yr. old battery in my BMW! Looking elsewhere for my next new vehicle. Honda going downhill fast.
Three years is and has been the standard Honda battery life for over a decade. I don’t care that wife’s Volvo battery lasts 7 years. I still save money over her $60k car

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Tire wear and brake wear is very much a product of persons driving habits.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Pilot also probably has way more electronic goodies than your BMW. It's pretty obvious who's battery is going to last longer.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Tires that come on a brand new car are always crap. It doesn't reflect the quality of the vehicle at all. As far as batteries go they typically last 5 years or so? Doesn't really matter how many miles the car had. The more electronics the more draw on the battery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts