Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
151 Posts
So what can you do with a repaired vehicle with a salvage title? I assume get a rebuilt title and then either drive it or resell it. But I've heard that most insurance companies won't cover cars with a rebuilt title, and the cars can be hard to resell?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
So what can you do with a repaired vehicle with a salvage title? I assume get a rebuilt title and then either drive it or resell it. But I've heard that most insurance companies won't cover cars with a rebuilt title, and the cars can be hard to resell?
I have 3 rebuilt title vehicles. All insured. I didn't buy them thinking about the resell value or with intentions to sell. I thought about what I was saving. Yes, vehicles that have been involved in accidents are less valuable than those not. If I wanted to sell, I'd put it back on Copart.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Did your rebuilds have to be inspected (before they could be insured and registered) - and by whom?
How, if at all, does your collision coverage differ from that for a vehicle with a "clean" title?
As with any vehicle, you must get it inspected before registration and you must have proof of insurance. I did not make announcement that I rebuilt it. But it's pretty obvious since there is no license plate on the vehicle. If it passes, then off to the DMV. There, I had to fill out a form detailing the repairs done and who performed the work. That's it.
Just remember, when you buy a vehicle they add tax, title and license (TTL). This can be a pretty hefty kick in the pants (which ever butt cheek your wallet sits on). This is included in my $5,500 price tag for my Crosstour. Without going to dig out my paperwork, I want to say it was somewhere around $500.
I carry full coverage insurance. The fact that it's rebuilt would likely affect replacement value.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Does your state require you to provide receipts showing where you got the parts? It seems like they try to deter you from registering salvaged/rebuilt vehicles by adding additional hoops to jump through. Wish I had the skills to do the repairs myself.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Does your state require you to provide receipts showing where you got the parts? It seems like they try to deter you from registering salvaged/rebuilt vehicles by adding additional hoops to jump through. Wish I had the skills to do the repairs myself.
On the form I filled out at the DMV, it asks for the name of the salvage yard and VIN# of the vehicle I harvested body parts from. I never felt once that I was being discouraged from rebuilding a vehicle. Keep your receipts for everything. They did ask to see my receipt from the auction.
Lots of DIY videos on YouTube. Be careful what you buy and what's damaged. I'm not into body work as in fixing dents and exterior painting. I am capable of drilling out spot welds, tack welding, buffing welds and spray can primer. Bolting on already painted fender, hood, doors, bumpers, trunk lid/rear hatch, head lights and anything mechanical under the hood is all I want to have to do.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
^^^^^At least it seems to have survived the driver's side small overlap front crash better than the 2019 Jeep Wrangler. :oops:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Note the rationalizing and blame-DODGEing FCA brass engage in. :p

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
^^^^^At least it seems to have survived the driver's side small overlap front crash better than the 2019 Jeep Wrangler. :oops:

Ouch!
This Pilot obviously was not tested as severly as the Jeep, but ya, note to self. Don't by a Cheap Jeep.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
789 Posts
Part man, Parts, hence the rise of the chop shop.

Parts often make more money from an older vehicle than the vehicle will sell for whole. Even destroyed. Right now there is $300 + sitting there just in the unusable leftovers after it is parted out. Honda's are one of the vehicles that have a high parts value.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Part man, Parts, hence the rise of the chop shop.

Parts often make more money from an older vehicle than the vehicle will sell for whole. Even destroyed. Right now there is $300 + sitting there just in the unusable leftovers after it is parted out. Honda's are one of the vehicles that have a high parts value.
Just the engine and transmission alone is where the big profit is. It's just that there are already a lot of these for sales. www.car-part.com .
As a consumer, if I needed an engine or transmission, I'd not want it out of this vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
789 Posts
Just the engine and transmission alone is where the big profit is. It's just that there are already a lot of these for sales. www.car-part.com .
As a consumer, if I needed an engine or transmission, I'd not want it out of this vehicle.
Yep, engines go for good money, and this engine might be suspect, but people need heads, cam shafts, intakes etc all day long. Strip the engine and sell the parts. I know a guy who would gladly pay $50 just for an alternator to replace the new one he bought that is bad.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Rear brake light housings are still good. That's about all I'd trust from that car. I sure hope there wasn't a passenger in there.
Ya, the impact looks to have penetrated 2 to 3ft into the cabin. I can't see by the photos that the dashboard air bag was deployed. If a passenger was present in the front seat, it's my opinion that they would have been pinned in. The metal would have needed to be cut away to get them out. Also, if blood is present, they must label the vehicle as a bio-hazard. That's not the case, so probably not. 🙏

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The steering wheel emblem fades on Pilots, a common problem, However, Honda doesn't sell that part. The only sources are dubious aftermarket or salvage. For someone with deep pockets and OCD, there's your $1,750 right there. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
The steering wheel emblem fades on Pilots, a common problem, However, Honda doesn't sell that part. The only sources are dubious aftermarket or salvage. For someone with deep pockets and OCD, there's your $1,750 right there. :D
Wha wha what....?
Are you talking about the one embedded in the airbag?
The whole airbag doesn't cost that much. EBay. I kept the emblem off the old blown one.
I'm taking offers. Lol
The one in the referenced 2016 Pilot was blown. The Dashboard unblown, undamaged is worth that much. Ebay.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
OK, let's say that price includes all intact emblems on the Pilot. :p

But to install it you have to futz around with the airbag.

Here is the million dollar question. Can you replace just the emblem. Well I guess you could. But please don't.

Steering Wheel Emblem

Steering Wheel Emblem

Most folks' solution is simply carefully repainting.

I'm not sure if you can pry just the emblem off cleanly. I have a billet silver metallic pilot and I just carefully used touch-up paint on it over the parts that had peeled and revealed that plastic yellow coloring. It came out pretty good.
View attachment 135925

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Woah, found a brave Piloteer who actually did replace it. I'd still go for the paint method, though.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts