Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
If if I did drive all the way out to Nova Scotia, which I won't, I'd have to bring plenty of duct tape for the not so pretty side. :p

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
If if I did drive all the way out to Nova Scotia, which I won't, I'd have to bring plenty of duct tape for the not so pretty side. :p

You gotta visualize it fixed.
Can you remove 2 doors?
Car-part is your friend.
After you put 2 good used doors on, you can brag about your half priced Pilot EX-L 4WD.
I'd hold out for auction in hopes of picking it up for under 3k (with fees).

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Not a fan of the washed out Trump Tower gold color, though.

Have you ever driven all the way to Nova Scotia? It's lovely, but I only saw it for about 15 minutes on a one day nonstop trip back from Prince Edward Island. I ain't driving that far again.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Not a fan of the washed out Trump Tower gold color, though.

Have you ever driven all the way to Nova Scotia? It's lovely, but I only saw it for about 15 minutes on a one day nonstop trip back from Prince Edward Island. I ain't driving that far again.
I went to Canada once as a child (Montreal) when on a trip to see Niagra Falls. Then got married, babies and slaved for 12 hours a day for years.
Paint is easy these days.
Plasti-Dip, No professional experience needed. 😁

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
152 Posts
This week, in Knoxville, TN, there is a really nice looking, low miles 2010 on the auction block. Says it Runs and Drives. Don't buy it cause I said so. 🎲🎲
Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win
Any guesses as to what might be wrong with it? I'm starting to think about buying an auction car as a side project, but ones marked as a salvage title with no visible body damage make me wonder what the catch is. Hidden frame or suspension damage, or something else I should be on the lookout for? Maybe it's a flood car?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I figure it's either smashed physically, which you can see, or smashed mechanically, which you can't see. If it came down to it, I'd lean toward the former.

In the vast majority of cases, they're on the auction block because they couldn't even pass a used car salesman stringent standards.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Ya pays yer nickel, ya pulls the lever, and ya takes yer chances.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Any guesses as to what might be wrong with it? I'm starting to think about buying an auction car as a side project, but ones marked as a salvage title with no visible body damage make me wonder what the catch is. Hidden frame or suspension damage, or something else I should be on the lookout for? Maybe it's a flood car?
Yes, I agree with you.
Copart does it's best to inspect vehicles and tell you where damage is. If there was frame damage, it would say "Undercarriage." If it was flooded, it would say. Could a flood damage car slip though? Yes, possibly. No, it's not always a perfect listing. You can also pay an inspector to give you more details, if buying without going yourself. That being said, A dealer could have bought this Pilot, cleaned it up and is re-selling it with the salvage title.
Copart allows persons with an account # to sign in an walk their lots (safety vest required). You can raise the hood, check the oil, ATF, etc. And attempt to start. Put in drive and reverse. Take a power pack to jump start vehicles. Most have dead batteries. You can not work on the vehicles. I highly recommend that you watch a few videos on how to buy to protect yourself as much as possible. But I will say if your to cautious, your likely to let a good one get away.
I have bought 3 vehicles without going to see them. I only regret one. Meaning, I put more into it than I would have wanted to. It's not a loss. It's not quite the bargain I thought I was getting.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
Not all of them. Top left, bottom right and top right are. All played tag with semi tractors and trailers.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
I figure it's either smashed physically, which you can see, or smashed mechanically, which you can't see. If it came down to it, I'd lean toward the former.

In the vast majority of cases, they're on the auction block because they couldn't even pass a used car salesman stringent standards.

View attachment 135887
I'm glad the majority of people are afraid to buy at auction. More better deal for me.
Sorry @plplplpl , your last statement I must disagree with. The vast majority of vehicles at auction are insurance write offs. Many times, if you see a vehicle with not to much damage, and it has a salvage title, it's the insurance company taking care of their client. They expect to receive a good amount of $ at auction. There is always the fear of the insured rejecting the repair. There is little hesitation sending older model wrecked vehicles to auction because the repair can easily be 50%+ of the value of the vehicle. For a person who likes a project in the garage it's perfect. My 2012 Crosstour EX-L was out the door at auction for $2,500 🎲🎲. Parts and a new set of tires. I'm at $5,500 for a vehicle being sold on used car lots for 10 to 12k.

Before

After
I bought this vehicle by the pictures on the website only. And did a VIN# check. I knew it was one owner in an accident. When I got the car, I began pulling out the damaged parts along with the deer guts.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I'm glad the majority of people are afraid to buy at auction. More better deal for me.
Sorry @plplplpl , your last statement I must disagree with. The vast majority of vehicles at auction are insurance write offs. Many times, if you see a vehicle with not to much damage, and it has a salvage title, it's the insurance company taking care of their client.
Actually, I agree with you. One of my previous vehicles was a salvage title all fixed up by a trusted mechanic I've know since I was 16. That Blazer ran just fine (well, as well as a turn of the century GM could, anyway :p)

When I got the car, I began pulling out the damaged parts along with the deer guts.
Oh, that reminds me it's time to start cooking dinner. :)

101 - 120 of 157 Posts