Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 04 (Sagebrush EX) yesterday. Part of the deal was to swap the wheels with the Honda alum. accessory wheels. At the time I was sure I preferred them but now am not sure. I'm supposed to go to service dept. tommorrow to have them changed. Does anyone have any good res. photos of these wheels on a Pilot.

Thanks.......Harry

·
Registered
964 Posts
10ecPilot said:
Just picked up an 04 (Sagebrush EX) yesterday. Part of the deal was to swap the wheels with the Honda alum. accessory wheels. At the time I was sure I preferred them but now am not sure. I'm supposed to go to service dept. tommorrow to have them changed. Does anyone have any good res. photos of these wheels on a Pilot.

Thanks.......Harry
Check out bvilllepc's pictures. Looks like the OEM chrome wheels on his Night Hawk Black Pilot.
Here's the thread. And here's a great photo of the wheels up close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plain alloy wheel on the right is the one I was talking about. They are not getting them from the parts dept. but swapping them fron an Element that is on the showroom floor. I will be keeping the wheels (Bridgestone) because they are a different size. I would love to have the chrome wheels but the cost is way high. I have seen that photo from the accessory book but its hard to tell if they will look good or not. The photo is kind of grainy and not at a good angle. What do you guys think. Would you keep the stock wheels or go for the accessory wheels if the price was the same ?. I will not get any credit back if I decide not to swap them.

Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
I vote for the plain alloy wheel. I'm not crazy about the stock wheels on the Pilot, though they are easy to clean and look like they will hold up over time to brake dust, etc. The dark gray parts on the stock wheels hide any pitting or hard to clean contaminants.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
guitarman said:
I vote for the plain alloy wheel. I'm not crazy about the stock wheels on the Pilot, though they are easy to clean and look like they will hold up over time to brake dust, etc. The dark gray parts on the stock wheels hide any pitting or hard to clean contaminants.
I vote for the standard wheels or the chrome ones.
I have a bias against wheels with a lack of symetry between the number of spokes and lugs.

e.g. I hate the look of six or seven spoke wheels with 5 lugs.

Disclaimer; This is personal opinion:2: :2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was time to bring it in to the service dept. and I decided to go ahead and have them swapped out. I'll post a picture or two with the new wheels when I get it back if anyone is interested.

Thanks....Harry

·
Registered
602 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that the red dot on the tire is supposed to be mounted next to the valve stem. Is that correct? If so, it looks like the rear tire wasn't mounted properly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Harry - I agree they look great and I hadn't seen them before with the silver inset versus the black. They'll look even better if you go and balance them and have the weights put on the inside...

Nice Sage Pilot you got there.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
guitarman said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that the red dot on the tire is supposed to be mounted next to the tire stem. Is that correct? If so, it looks like the rear tire wasn't mounted properly.
You're correct. The red dot indicates the lightest part of the tire, which should be mounted to line up with the valve stem, the heaviest part of the rim. I've never seen them matched up, in photos or live.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They Do look good Harry. Nice driveway too!

·
Registered
602 Posts
jay said:
You're correct. The red dot indicates the lightest part of the tire, which should be mounted to line up with the valve stem, the heaviest part of the rim. I've never seen them matched up, in photos or live.
I guess it's not uncommon. Here is another wheel/tire combination that clearly wasn't lined up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the comments. In regards to the red dot. If you look closely at the front wheel/tire the red dot is almost lined up with the valve stem. There is also a weight very close to the valve stem. If the lightest part of the tire is at the red dot, the wheel/tire would have balanced with less weight if the red dot was opposite the valve stem. I wonder how critical lining up the dot really is ???
I was not aware that the weights could be installed on the inside. Is this a common practice ?
Harry

·
Registered
260 Posts
jay said:
That usually correct. Except some alloy wheels have their own reference mark. For example, the factory wheels on my Maxima have a light grey paint dot marking the heaviest part of the wheel. If the wheel has such a mark, the mark on the tire is supposed to be lined up with it instead of the valve stem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Questions

I have some questions about the accesory wheels.

There are 4 OEM wheels available for a Pilot. The steel wheel found on the LX and the normal Alloy wheel on the EX.

Additionally there is a 16 inch Alloy accesory wheel that seems to have triangles cut out of it and there is a nice looking Chrome wheel.

Ok for the questions.

Do the 4 wheels all weigh the same and how would different weights affect the handling and performance of the vehicle?

Which wheel would have the best quality and perform across rough roads, potholes, offroading, and other difficult use?

Does going to an aftermarket wheel rim and tire combo affect the warranty of the car?

What does the word offset mean to an aftermarket wheel?

Does the improved grip of an aftermarket tire and wheel combo make the Pilot more likely to tip over?

Will a full size spare tire fit where the half size donut spare tire currently resides?

Does anyone have experience buying accesory tires from a dealer with a new car? For instance, if one were to buy the chrome wheels would the dealer give credit back for the value of the alloy wheels? Or would the purchaser of the vehicle just be stuck with an extra 4 wheels sitting in his garage that he couldnt use?

Honestly, I dont hate the look of the alloy wheels that come with an EX but Im not fond of them either. I like the Chrome wheels but $1500 is a big expense. Id like to see a pic of them on a Redrock Pearl Pilot. You occasionally see Chrome go down on Ebay for under $1000 with the OEM wheels generally pulling down $300 or more so paying $1500 to a dealer seems a bit much.

There are aftermarket wheels that I like better than either but I dont know how offset issues, weight, reliability, and performance issues will affect the performance of the Pilot.

Thanks for helping

·
Registered
41 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts