Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Pilot less than three months ago with less than 800 miles. The radio started to have popping and cracking sounds about a month ago. It gets worse over time and this week "radio unavailable" and "network connection lost" shows on the radio display and the system tries to reboot itself from time to time. This morning while I was on highway, the radio and the dash screens both went black after rebooting several times. What a fun experience driving on the highway with no speedometer reading! The screens do not came back after restarting the car. So backup camera is out of the picture as well.

After a quick google search, I found there is a class action lawsuit against Honda on 2019 Pilots. There is another post here recently about the same issue on the 2020 model as well. From the experiences of many other people, this is likely not something Honda knows how to fix yet and that's why their repairs drag for several months. The engine wiring harness fix on the MOST bus connector that people were referencing came out on Honda's Service news article March 2019, but many still suffer from this issue after many repairs. A open-heart bypass surgery is the least thing I want on my new car until I found some people also had the interior and roof of their Pilot taken to pieces by their dealership, and still cannot fix this problem.

Are there anyone got this issue actually FIXED (meaning working properly for over a couple of month)? I scheduled to bring my car back to the dealership tomorrow morning but not optimistic about this at all. I will report back after I get some feedback from the dealership (in greater Seattle area).
Maybe it is time to consider talking to a lemon attorney to get prepared for the worst. Does anybody here knows if the class action lawsuit for 2019 pilot include owners of 2020 Pilot as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don’t know if it’s 2020 issue yet but I’m sure you will he added to the lawsuit once more 2020s are flagged. I have had the car for 12k miles and 18 months - the issue went away for 5 months then came back. So we have been in 2x for “fix” and I’m not convinced it’s going to ever be right. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is kind of scary if the issue just went away for 5 month and came back again. It's not only slow torturing but also chewing away the time frame on the potential lemon case. Hopefully yours will stay fixed, which means Honda might finally have a fix. What did they do for the fixes on your Pilot?

Not sure if this is going to make any difference, but I am going to File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA tonight. Backup camera is a safety requirement by law and missing speedometer reading on dash is a serious safety issue.
After browsing the complaints here for a short while on this forum alone, I have found at least 5 more owners for 2020 Pilot reporting similar issues. But maybe none has gone through the ordeal to make the case for a lemon yet. I assume more 2020 cases will show up in the next few month as Honda keeps selling this faulty product.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Mine has been to the dealer five times. Both Honda and the dealer claim that it is finally fixed, because they had a Honda engineer come out. As I mentioned in other posts, our longest interval has been one month without a manifestation of the issue. It's only been about 12 days since we got it back this time. If it comes back again, I am done. It's lemon law time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine has been to the dealer five times. Both Honda and the dealer claim that it is finally fixed, because they had a Honda engineer come out. As I mentioned in other posts, our longest interval has been one month without a manifestation of the issue. It's only been about 12 days since we got it back this time. If it comes back again, I am done. It's lemon law time.
What did the 'engineer' do to fix your issues, that was different from all the other dealer attempts?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
What did the 'engineer' do to fix your issues, that was different from all the other dealer attempts?
He replaced the amplifier and the associated harness connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a update. I got my car back three days ago. When I dropped the car off, I asked if they were aware of this issue and they told me they had never seen issue before. At the same time, I overheard another guy dropping off his 2019 passport (this model is also a part of the lawsuit against Honda) because the radio display cannot be turned off. I talked to that guy for a while and it seems he was experiencing a similar issue as was reported in some posts here. Never heard of this issue and suddenly two showed up at the same moment. Coincidence? Hmm...
I brought a copy off the Honda's Service news article and showed it to them because I was afraid they went too creative for a fix. A day later, they called me saying they hasn't figured out the problem and was communicating with Honda tech centers for help and apparently Honda hasn't got a solution yet. According to the repair log they gave me, some connector (maybe MOST, I have to check the report later) at the back of the vehicle was bent (but not broken?) and they just tightened some connectors without changing any parts and it seemed to be working fine before they called me to pick up the car. Although they did take out the radio console and the third row seat to get access to the wires and connectors at the back.
So far the radio has been working normally but I will keep a close look on that thing. I didn't want to press the issue to hard on them because without a solution from Honda, too much "repair" from the dealer can only make it worse. My idea is to keep the radio/dash displays functional with minimal invasive "repairs" on my car before Honda releases a final solution. At the same time, keep all the repair records and prepare for the worst. As for the class action lawsuit, it is not likely to have any results before Honda figures out the fix. At that point, Honda can just fix the problematic cars without a massive buybacks or having their two popular models off market.
I will keep updating the status of my car if the same problem comes back. I think the other owners suffering from this should do the same. Poll our cases together and it will help to make a more convincing case when we need to pursue legal actions to protect ourselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it works this time. It feels awful to go through this once let alone five times!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
So far so good, but the experience has pretty much erased my previously positive feelings about Honda.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2019 pilot touring awd - been to dealer basically 2 full months and 11.5k miles in a year and half. Head unit speaker problems - car went in 2x- just so happened in Jan car was hit in rear hatch / well had the car back for a month - same issues but worse car head unit went out dealer said the rear sub went out because it was damaged from the dealer recommended body shop and caused a head unit being blown out: car now back with Honda for a week. No calls - Honda 128 - I am part of the class action but who knows if they will ever come to a concluding - the dealers are clueless and it seems Honda is waiting for a refreshed pilot to get thru these issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts