Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that you have to install a VCM Muzzler 2 like that you don’t have problems later on my question is once you installed it do you have to drive with the Econ on yes or no ?? Thx ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
No, the VCM Muzzler will work regardless of having the ECO mode on or off. ECO mode has nothing to do with the VCM kicking in or not (at least on my 2019 model).

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
201 Posts
What's the purpose of it? If it is better, why is it not installed from the factory? Just throwing these questions out there for those who aren't in the know.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The purpose of it is to prevent the car from running on less cylinders than the 6 that it has. Some cylinders are deactivated under certain conditions such as steady cruising speed on the highway on level ground for a certain amount of time. It is supposed to save fuel.

There have been some engine problems such as burning excessive oil on prior year models and other mechanical problems so the VCM Muzzler was made available by someone. Supposedly the 2019 models and maybe even the 3rd generation model themselves have a different system than the older ones that caused some problems from what I have read on various forums.

Honda isn't going to install an aftermarket device at the factory to limit a built in feature of the car they build.

I am leaving mine just the way it came from the factory. Instead of the VCM Muzzler I have purchased a 96 month 120000 mile Honda Care warranty which will cover any damage if it occurs from the VCM and other damages unrelated to the VCM!

That's my decision and I am sticking to it !!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can anyone confirm if a 2019 needs a VCM muzzler or if the problem is fixed?
From 2016 to current VCM is improved over early years that did have the problems. The jury is still out on if the past problems are fixed. Some people can feel the vibrations it produces and prefer to disable the VCM. Some people have no issues at all. And others are not willing to chance future issues and disable it. If you plan on trading every few years, or have extended warranty, just don't worry about it.

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
292 Posts
From 2016 to current VCM is improved over early years that did have the problems. The jury is still out on if the past problems are fixed. Some people can feel the vibrations it produces and prefer to disable the VCM. Some people have no issues at all. And others are not willing to chance future issues and disable it. If you plan on trading every few years, or have extended warranty, just don't worry about it.
I was contemplating it as I keep most cars for long haul (15 years, 200k+) which warranty wont cover. Not sure if I should be more worried about this or the fuel injector issues and challenge for cleaning them and valves due to direct injection.

I'm on lease currently, planning to buy it out. I need to research the extended warranty more and how it applies to leased vehicles if they even offer it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts