Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take good care of my cars and do the required maintenance myself like oil changes or brakes. When I bought this car I read the logs and laws the last time the oil was changed in the rear end was by the leasing company at 45,000 miles. Since the Pilot had 95,000 I decided to buy the special Honda oil and change it even though there was no noise or anything wrong. I changed the oil and then followed the procedure to do lots of slow figure 8's in a parking lot. in the first two gears there is a terrible noise that got less over a few days but never went away. I drained the new $28 a gallon oil out through a filter/rag to look for any foreign material. Pumped the oil back in and repeated the figure eights. I brought it back to the dealer, he said if it wasn't making any noise before I shouldn't have changed it.
Honda makes some of these oil changes just to make money and every 15,000 miles is ridiculous. My warrantee is over so I'm stuck. Now many months later it still makes noise as you start and turn out the driveway or parking spot. There is no noise once traveling over 25 MPH. I'm thinking of draining it again and using my compressor to blow out any crap that is stuck and blocking oil from getting into a gear and see what happens. I'll drain this relatively new oil through a filter again, refill and do the figure 8's again and see what happens. I don't want to change the rear end pumpkin which is probably expensive.
Anyone else having this issue? PS the old oil was red, clean and no foreign matter was in the filter rag.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Mine made some bad noises the first time it moved in drive and reverse, but they quieted down and it's been normal since. I'm assuming you topped it off as recommended after driving it?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I believe Honda still uses a clutch pack configuration for the VTM, and it is SUPER fussy about fluid. If I had a quiet rear end (ahem) before the fuild change and a noisy one after, then I'd assumed it didn't like THAT bottle of fluid; bad mix at refinery, error in bottling, moisture contaminated, etc. I'd have drained it and replaced with fluid obtained from another dealer (different lot number). The figure-8's basically refresh/impregnate the clutch material with new fluid.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The rear diff is very sensitive to contamination. Don't use a fluid pump that you use for other fluids. There are posts where a little bit of residual gear oil mixed with VTM-4 caused funky noises. I buy a new $6 pump every time I change the fluid. Make sure the diff is full. I fill until the fluid starts running out, which is right around 3 qts.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The rear diff is very sensitive to contamination. Don't use a fluid pump that you use for other fluids. There are posts where a little bit of residual gear oil mixed with VTM-4 caused funky noises. I buy a new $6 pump every time I change the fluid. Make sure the diff is full. I fill until the fluid starts running out, which is right around 3 qts.
Guess I should be thankful the odd bottle opening size forced me to buy a new pump!

Also, I will stress again that when I rechecked the level after driving it did take another 10 or so pumps of fluid. I read somewhere to do that on these rear diffs and will continue to do it after my experience.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If you're using the same pump just for that one job nothing else would need to be purchased other than the fluid

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Guess I should be thankful the odd bottle opening size forced me to buy a new pump!

Also, I will stress again that when I rechecked the level after driving it did take another 10 or so pumps of fluid. I read somewhere to do that on these rear diffs and will continue to do it after my experience.
you are correct , if you have the pilot off the ground you can also rotate the rear tires for a bit same thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts