Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Pilot EXL with 56500 miles approx. I drive an avg of 20 mile / day. For seven years the car has been in south florida and about 75% time in garage. Always maintained by Honda authorized dealer. I take good care of it.
Last week the shutter in the central inside console (part 83435-SZA-A03ZA shutter graphite) broke just by using normally and gently. 2 days later another crack happened and now is broken in three pieces. I got an estimate at dealer shop.
Is $645.00 to replace. Part is $415 and labor over $200 just to replace the sliding shutter. This is because the entire assembly of the center console has to be replaced.
Has anyone experienced this? is it possible they would make such a part of low quality and so costly to replace?
I was really disappointed. I have owned several hondas, civics, odysseys CRV and pilot. I am a very careful owner and take good care of my cars. Never seen this, specially in honda. Dealer shop advised to go to the after market.
Just a simple shutter requires purchase of a costly assembly, It does not seem right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Find one out of a wreck and find a good YouTube video. Otherwise be prepared to deal with the fact that interior parts are always expensive.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
You can order that part online for $200. I doubt you'll find many of those generation Pilots in a salvage yard. Sometimes interior plastic breaks it doesn't really matter how much you drive. The car is still pretty old and it's spent a lot of time in the heat I'd assume.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find one out of a wreck and find a good YouTube video. Otherwise be prepared to deal with the fact that interior parts are always expensive.
Thank you for your reply. One would think that being a part that is subject to frequent use it would be an easier and less expensive process to replace the shutter, without having to buy an entire assembly. Even though it was not subject to a great deal of heat (mainly in roofed garage at an avg. of 78 degrees year round), in less than 7 years should not break apart in pieces that way. I think it is a material and design consideration specially considering the work involved. I have a 1997 CRV and with care the interior is still in excellent condition. Same applies to a civic 1996 just traded in for my son.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can order that part online for $200. I doubt you'll find many of those generation Pilots in a salvage yard. Sometimes interior plastic breaks it doesn't really matter how much you drive. The car is still pretty old and it's spent a lot of time in the heat I'd assume.
Thank you for your reply. One would think that being a part that is subject to frequent use it would be an easier and less expensive process to replace the shutter, without having to buy an entire assembly. Even though my car was not subject to a great deal of heat (mainly in roofed garage at an avg. of 78 degrees year round), in less than 7 years the shutter should not break apart in pieces that way. I think it is a material and design consideration specially considering the work involved. I have a 1997 CRV and with care the interior is still in excellent condition. Same applies to a civic 1996 just traded in for my son. I do not consider my pilot that old. I was just surprised regarding the dealer quote and having to resort to a salvage yard.
Thank you again for your interest and reply.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are plenty of gen 2 Pilots at yards and if it is a pick and pull you can practice getting the old one out on the wreck instead of your car. I believe the console did not change on the refresh between '11 and '12 but you could check an online parts database and cross reference the part numbers to double check. And so you don't waste time driving around, the big recyclers allow you to set an alert when a specific car comes in. That is how I picked up a like new full size spare for our Pilot. Another alternative is ebay. I am generally fastidious about using original new parts but on a cosmetic item like this, where what you see is what you get, it is a good way to get original quality and save.

Finally I agree with your concern about things like this should not happen but at this point that discussion is academic. All cars have issues of one kind or another - this is minor comparatively. Either find a replacement or live with it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Good luck finding it at a u pull salvage yard. You'll be better off using car-part.com and buying from a yard on that site.

·
Registered
585 Posts
For $200 - $250 bux online I'd just buy the part and figure out how to DIY replace it. The part is expensive because it's an entire assembly and apparently wasn't designed to be replaced separately - but it's also not the "whole console". I've not heard of lots of problems with this part and ours on our 2013 is still like new... so I'm not sure the part is inherently flawed. You don't know what happened to it prior to your ownership... there may have been prior physical or chemical damage that wasn't apparent previously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts