Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have had no issues with it. Have about 40k miles over last 4-5 years of owner ship.

This morning it does not start. Hear kind of thud noise as the car seems to try to start but stop.
It is not the battery as I know how it is as I had left lights on and battery went dead. So it was replaced 2 years ago. So it is not the original battery for last 4-5 years.

Recorded a video is someone can suggest what is going on. Tried an OBD II scanner but it does not give any error codes. Either I am not doing it right or there are just no codes.

One more thing to add if I keep the key in position ii for sometimes, the engine light stays solid but after 15sec start blinking, blinks 5 times and shuts off. So not sure if this indicates anything.

https://youtu.be/kdQIkMURn3A

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,269 Posts
Although less likely since it’s only two years old I would not rule out the battery unless you have it load tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second this comment. Also depends on how long you drive
20 minutes of consistent driving is enough to recharge the battery from it's initial drain from start up. Frequent short trips put a great deal.of drain on the battery. I have 4 cars between my wife and I and we each have a 4 mile commute. I generally hook each one up to a battery tender over night once a month or so to juice it all the way back up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not expect the battery to fail again as it was last changed Dec 2015 under warranty as it failed the test at dealership. Basically it lasted about 2.5 years last time this is about 2.5 years as well.

I jumped the car and it started. I drove the car for about an hour doing errands but not turning it off. After I came back I let it sit for half an hour and tried to start again but it did not start. So it seems battery is dead or something is draining the battery which make it not able to start it after a few minutes.

I did notice when I was trying to get error codes via OBD II, it reported voltage 9.9V that looks low. Perhaps battery has issues or some cells are dead and the voltage needed to crank the engine is not there but enough to run it once get going. My question is if there is something else can be causing this issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did not expect the battery to fail again as it was last changed Dec 2015 under warranty as it failed the test at dealership. Basically it lasted about 2.5 years last time this is about 2.5 years as well.

I jumped the car and it started. I drove the car for about an hour doing errands but not turning it off. After I came back I let it sit for half an hour and tried to start again but it did not start. So it seems battery is dead or something is draining the battery which make it not able to start it after a few minutes.

I did notice when I was trying to get error codes via OBD II, it reported voltage 9.9V that looks low. Perhaps battery has issues or some cells are dead and the voltage needed to crank the engine is not there but enough to run it once get going. My question is if there is something else can be causing this issue?
Potential short or check battery cables and ground connections. My buddy's Tahoe had some corrosion on the ground wire that was connected to the frame causing a short and consistent drain. If I were you go to AutoZone and have them test the battery itself and charging system. 9.9v is indeed very low.

If all's good hook the car up to a battery tender until you can figure out where the short is.

And like I said short drives where the battery can't charge fully will be cause for a short battery life. 3-5 years is Max life depending on battery. Hooking a battery tender up every once in a while will prolong it's life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts