Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I bought my 2012 Pilot 8 years ago and haven’t replaced the timing belt. I live in extreme conditions (desert heat) so the recommended is at 60k miles. I just hit that so wanted to ask if it’s advisable to do it now or delay maybe until 80k or so? I am traveling in a week which is 1600 miles round trip.

Also, Shopped around and best I got is about $1100 through a honda dealer which includes replacement of timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine/drive belt, coolant. Is that a fair price?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
You should have done it a year ago. Timing belt is not just a mileage thing but a time thing (7 years) as the components that make up the belt will deteriorate over time.

The choice of when to do it is yours. Just remember that you are living on borrowed time. If it breaks on you you are looking at 6K to 10K for a new/rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really planning to get it done soon and will not wait anymore. Just wanted to get inputs from others here who’ve been in a similar situation. With covid, bad thing is that I cannot even run it a few hundred miles to test before my long drive because of the work from home.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I am really planning to get it done soon and will not wait anymore. Just wanted to get inputs from others here who’ve been in a similar situation. With covid, bad thing is that I cannot even run it a few hundred miles to test before my long drive because of the work from home.
I wouldn't say desert heat alone is a reason you need a 60k timing belt service. The belt is over 1 year past its recomended replacement time, and tensioners are known to fail (leak fluid) with age. I wouldn't roll the 🎲🎲.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
760 Posts
$1100 is a decent price from the dealer. You maybe able to find a reputable independent shop that will do it for less using the Aisin kit which is as good as OEM Honda parts.

If you are fairly skilled with some time you can DIY for about $200 - $250 using the Aisin kit and miscellaneous supplies and required specific tools. It’s about average in difficulty for a timing belt.

NG is right regarding the tensioner. Mine on my 2013 was leaking when I replaced the belt in August with about 65k miles. The tensioner is by far the weakest link in the system and without a doubt a critical one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should have done it a year ago. Timing belt is not just a mileage thing but a time thing (7 years) as the components that make up the belt will deteriorate over time.

The choice of when to do it is yours. Just remember that you are living on borrowed time. If it breaks on you you are looking at 6K to 10K for a new/rebuilt engine.
Yesterday I was at the Honda dealership doing routine oil change at 33K, asked about the Timing Belt and the service advisor told me 8 years, he looked at the date on the pillar Nov-2014 and said Nov-2022, I purchased it on Jan 2015

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yesterday I was at the Honda dealership doing routine oil change at 33K, asked about the Timing Belt and the service advisor told me 8 years, he looked at the date on the pillar Nov-2014 and said Nov-2022, I purchased it on Jan 2015
Last I checked Honda didn’t really publish a formal recommendation. The last time they did was for 7 years though. That’s what my dealer told me they recommended. 8 years is probably fine but knowing the low quality of the tensioners I’m not sure I’m personally happy with even 7 anymore.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
It's a well known fact the year interval is 7 years. It's nice of him to throw in an extra year for you. :p

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Last I checked Honda didn’t really publish a formal recommendation. The last time they did was for 7 years though. That’s what my dealer told me they recommended. 8 years is probably fine but knowing the low quality of the tensioners I’m not sure I’m personally happy with even 7 anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The correct answer he should have told you is 7 years or 105,000 miles - whichever comes first.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I would not be surprised if those belts are good for 200k under normal circumstances, many people have replaced them with 110K and they looked fine no broken teeth or anything. But it's peace of mind doing it at 110K or so, as long as you use a Mitsubishi/OEM branded belt.
  • Correction Mitsuboshi Timing Belt

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I would not be surprised if those belts are good for 200k under normal circumstances,
200k? Umm no. Ones driving habits can lengthen or shorten the life of a belt. But 1 person out of 100 making it to 150k isn't good odds much less 200k.
many people have replaced them with 110K and they looked fine no broken teeth or anything. But it's peace of mind doing it at 110K or so, as long as you use a Mitsubishi/OEM branded belt.
Other factors are being calculated into the reason for replacing your timing belt at 105k. The possibility of tensioner failure is of great concern.
I'm old school and replace mine every 90k miles. Some are advised to replace at 60k because of harsh conditions and/or using the vehicle for heavy work loads.
(*Mitsuboshi belt)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got my TB, WP, tensioner, serpentine belt done today at the dealer. I asked if the coolant was flushed and the service guy said it was just topped off. Is that usual or should I question them why it wasn’t flushed? I thought they had to bleed the air out so how can be done just by topping the coolant? Sorry got no idea.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I'm pretty sure it normal just to top off what was lost doing the job, what did the dealer charge you if don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Just got my TB, WP, tensioner, serpentine belt done today at the dealer. I asked if the coolant was flushed and the service guy said it was just topped off. Is that usual or should I question them why it wasn’t flushed? I thought they had to bleed the air out so how can be done just by topping the coolant? Sorry got no idea.
Yep, you got burned on the coolant flush. A radiator drain for that additional gallon would have been nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts