Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2009 Pilot EXL with about 90K miles. Bought it when it was around 23,000 miles. I have changed oil + air filter several times per the MM but haven't seen any maintenance minder on the following

1) Cabin filter
2) Brake fluild
3) Transmission fluid
4) Any other fluids
5) Spark plugs

I'm planning to do timing belt service shortly. What else should I be servicing? Overall, the car runs great and gives very good gas mileage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would do 1,2,3,5 front & rear differentials (if applicable), power steering, coolant and valve check with timing belt service.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
We have a 2009 Pilot EXL with about 90K miles. Bought it when it was around 23,000 miles. I have changed oil + air filter several times per the MM but haven't seen any maintenance minder on the following

1) Cabin filter
2) Brake fluild
3) Transmission fluid
4) Any other fluids
5) Spark plugs
Have you been resetting the maintenance minder before the oil life gets down to 15% remaining, or less?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an '09 I got at 93k miles, now 126k. Only records of previous maintenance were lots of receipts from jiffy lube. I've drain/filled the transmission 3 times over the past couple oil change intervals of 5,000 miles, and I feel the difference in how it shifts. It is so easy to do, you should do it. I've done this on other vehicles and using an extension to reach the fill bolt makes it super easy and quick, just gotta break it loose.

I paid a friend/independent honda tech $600 to do the timing belt/water pump kit, mine went to 118k by the time I got around to it. No probs with mine.

I have front end knocks/noises, some guys change different parts in the steering/front end, as I've seen it is common for these parts needing changing at this mileage range. I'm considering changing the struts on mine.

One of the first things I did was get/install the VCMuzzler. You have one yet?

Cabin filter on Amazon is like $12 and easily accessible in the glove box, same as every other Japanese car I've seen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have an '09 I got at 93k miles, now 126k. Only records of previous maintenance were lots of receipts from jiffy lube. I've drain/filled the transmission 3 times over the past couple oil change intervals of 5,000 miles, and I feel the difference in how it shifts. It is so easy to do, you should do it. I've done this on other vehicles and using an extension to reach the fill bolt makes it super easy and quick, just gotta break it loose.

I paid a friend/independent honda tech $600 to do the timing belt/water pump kit, mine went to 118k by the time I got around to it. No probs with mine.

I have front end knocks/noises, some guys change different parts in the steering/front end, as I've seen it is common for these parts needing changing at this mileage range. I'm considering changing the struts on mine.

One of the first things I did was get/install the VCMuzzler. You have one yet?

Cabin filter on Amazon is like $12 and easily accessible in the glove box, same as every other Japanese car I've seen.
I have the Pilot EXL with 4WD - How do I know if my computer has a rear differential or not? ( to change the liquid)

Are power steering and coolant absolutely necessary? Also - when do we change spark plug?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know. Haha, sorry.

Check the manual, did your get it with your car? The maintenance minder is supposed to tell you what to do but I've only seen oil changes come up myself, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it, honestly. I use synthetic oil, I've done blackstone oil evals and I check the oil regularly (mine consumes some and I have to add a bit) and change it around 5,000. I trust that more than the info on the dash, basically. It's a good tool and helps you track things, but it seems like it's mostly a reminder for people who don't wanna open the hood.

But I like to look in there and get my hands dirty.

FL-22 coolant I heard is every 10 years, I think? It gets changed with the timing belt kit so you're good there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know. Haha, sorry.

Check the manual, did your get it with your car? The maintenance minder is supposed to tell you what to do but I've only seen oil changes come up myself, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it, honestly. I use synthetic oil, I've done blackstone oil evals and I check the oil regularly (mine consumes some and I have to add a bit) and change it around 5,000. I trust that more than the info on the dash, basically. It's a good tool and helps you track things, but it seems like it's mostly a reminder for people who don't wanna open the hood.

But I like to look in there and get my hands dirty.

FL-22 coolant I heard is every 10 years, I think? It gets changed with the timing belt kit so you're good there.

I checked the manual several times and it is not very useful - it doesn't identify any clear mileages for service

·
Registered
127 Posts
These are just general items. Spark plugs, brake fluid. A guy I trust told me the brake fluid in my Pilot is discolored and I ought to change it. Sounds reasonable to me. It's 10 years old.

Again, change the tranny fluid. It's so easy and along with the engine oil, you can keep two of the most fundamental components maintained as well as possible by just keeping clean oil in them.

I think I got this filter - https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-CF101...-758------------&vehicleName=2009+Honda+Pilot

but might have bought the Fram one, either way they're around $10 and easy to change.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I checked the manual several times and it is not very useful - it doesn't identify any clear mileages for service
There are no "clear mileages" for service intervals because the intention is for you to follow the prompts from the maintenance minder display.
Have you read the section of the owner's manual that covers the operation of the maintenance minder?
It runs from about page 459 to page 473.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts