Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Pictures of Pilots towing

96373 Views 147 Replies 83 Participants Last post by  jpwally
Folks:

We need a thread where you can post a picture of your Pilot with whatever you tow.

It would be great to post year of your Pilot, any mods (eg brake controller.coolers etc) as well as details on what you are towing together with weights, WDH.

Bonus points for anyone remembering where they were when the picture was taken!

You get the picture. Now go out and take a picture!
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, the missing bar is on its way and will be here fingers crossed before our next trip in October. I was surprised at how well it did handle in this configuration. Of course, I took this picture, so I wasn't in the car and my fat ass in the driver's seat probably helped keep the front end down!

In defense of the tech, my options were 1) drive home as-is and wait for the missing part from the WDH I bought elsewhere to arrive, or 2) buy a WDH from him, get it set up immediately, and return the WDH I already had. So, by advising me that it was safe to drive with this setup, he actually lost out on the sale of a WDH.

I definitely trust the techs more than the sales guys. I got in this mess by getting bad information from the sales guy in the first place. Sales guy had told me that the WDH the RV dealer sells does not have sway control and a trailer this small doesn't need it. Well, that goes against everything I've read and heard and I want sway control, so I bought my own hitch. Turns out, the dealer sells two different WDHs, one without sway control (basic), and one with (deluxe). Sales guy just didn't know the difference between basic and deluxe was no sway control vs. sway control. Lesson learned: ask to talk to the technicians when you're buying from a distance. It would have saved me a whole lot of hassle to buy direct from the RV dealer.

· Registered
141 Posts
Figure I would post a pic of our 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD with our Geo Pro 19BH trailer. We use an Equal-i-zer 10k WDH and a Curt Spectrum brake controller. Dry the trailer sticker is 3200lbs w/cargo capacity of 1133lbs. I have to weigh the setup but I estimate we are about 4000lbs loaded. 450lbs on the tongue weight measured with a weigh safe ball scale when loaded.

Factory trans cooler and hitch installed.

I monitor temps with a Scan Gauge II and also have the S-VCM module. I have seen VCM kick on even when towing since it seems to mostly look for loads less than 30% before enabling. I can't recall ever seeing temps on the trans break 210F since the factory trans cooler was installed. Prior to that, even without towing but with the vehicle loaded down with camping gear and 4 passengers we have seen 218-220f when coming back home from Utah in the Vegas 116F heat. A bit concerned of what trans temps may be when towing this trailer in the summer. Time will tell.

The Pilot has some mods. 18" 265/60/18 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires and as pictured 1.5" lift in the front and 2.5" lift in the rear.

In the Vegas area, on days without wind she tows great, could easily maintain 75mph where legal but I still keep her between 55-70mph depending on wind (45mph on one trip for about a mile or two). We have 20-30+mph winds more often than not so really, I would like to upgrade to a truck. This will be our first summer towing with this heavier trailer so we will see how she does.

· Registered
23 Posts
I towed a 5x8 u-haul trailer 350 miles within Florida with my ‘16 Touring AWD yesterday. I have an OEM hitch and an Etrailer wiring adapter. No transmission cooler installed.
No problems whatsoever. To be fair, the trailer was half full. I’m sure it was less than the 3,500lbs allowed before updating to a transmission cooler.

Attachments

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
I towed a 5x8 u-haul trailer 350 miles within Florida with my ‘16 Touring AWD yesterday. I have an OEM hitch and an Etrailer wiring adapter. No transmission cooler installed.
No problems whatsoever. To be fair, the trailer was half full. I’m sure it was less than the 3,500lbs allowed before updating to a transmission cooler. View attachment 148143
Hate to be negative, but with no ATF cooler, you may want to monitor the ATF temp with an OBD II torque pro ap.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Especially since that U-Haul doesn't look particularly aerodynamic.

· Registered
23 Posts
While I am not planning to tow anything for a long time, I will keep an eye on the transmission temperatures. However, according to the Honda manual, under 3,500 lbs, I had a free pass to go on flat Florida.
Thank you for the feedback.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
While I am not planning to tow anything for a long time, I will keep an eye on the transmission temperatures. However, according to the Honda manual, under 3,500 lbs, I had a free pass to go on flat Florida.
Thank you for the feedback.
I don't trust what Honda says on this subject. These vehicles are not light weight in themselves. Honda decided not to install a transmission cooler as standard equipment, opting for a small heat exchanger mounted to the transmission...

This gives me little comfort if I were in the middle of summer in heavy stop and go traffic, much less if towing. This is another one of those bad decisions made by Honda. It may be ok for a Pilot operating in lower temps, it's not ok where I live.

· Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,215 Posts
This was 5/29 and 5/30/21. Doing a 'Track Day' on my GSX-R.

Total trailer, bike, gear- about 1350 #'s. No tranny cooler. No temp reader. No problems. LIke it wasn't ever there LOL. Like Butter LOL.

· Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 246k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 156k
204 Posts
This was 5/20 and 5/30/21. Doing a 'Track Day' on my GSX-R.

Total trailer, bike, gear- about 1350 #'s. No tranny cooler. No temp reader. No problems. LIke it wasn't ever there LOL. Like Butter LOL.

Great color choice 😁 I've got a tranny and PS cooler on my workbench to install, but I haven't had the time yet. Our rig only weighs like 1500#s, so it isn't too bad, but I'm just ultra paranoid about hurting the old guy 🤣

· Registered
45 Posts
Here is my 2019 EX-L AWD after we picked up our boat yesterday. It's a 2008 20' pontoon. My guess total weight of the entire package is about 2800lb and the Pilot pulled it home the 10 miles from the lake with no problems. It had plenty of power and I also had a chance to test the AWD really for the first time leaving the gravel lot you see in the picture as well. It was a sharp, rutted uphill exit from the lot and the Pilot handled it just fine even pulling all that weight.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,396 Posts
Here is my 2019 EX-L AWD after we picked up our boat yesterday. It's a 2008 20' pontoon. My guess total weight of the entire package is about 2800lb and the Pilot pulled it home the 10 miles from the lake with no problems. It had plenty of power and I also had a chance to test the AWD really for the first time leaving the gravel lot you see in the picture as well. It was a sharp, rutted uphill exit from the lot and the Pilot handled it just fine even pulling all that weight.

View attachment 149684
I would guess closer to 3600 - 3800 pounds. It comes in at 2380 lbs dry weight according to Bentleys site, ie: no motor, no fuel no extras and no trailer. Pontoon trailers generally weight around 1000 to 1200 lbs on their own.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't trust what Honda says on this subject. These vehicles are not light weight in themselves. Honda decided not to install a transmission cooler as standard equipment, opting for a small heat exchanger mounted to the transmission...
View attachment 148211
This gives me little comfort if I were in the middle of summer in heavy stop and go traffic, much less if towing. This is another one of those bad decisions made by Honda. It may be ok for a Pilot operating in lower temps, it's not ok where I live.
Wow!......the so called “warmer”. IMO, the “hockey puck” is worthless as a warmer or cooler.....monitoring both ECT and TFT verifies same. TFT rises very slowly, especially in cool ambient temps, compared to ECT. On the flip side, TFT can easily run 30+ degrees higher than ECT in warm ambient temps.

· Registered
1,382 Posts

View attachment 149684
Nice rig.👍👍, but don’t guess.....you probably have public scales close by and they only charge a few bucks. Might want to look at the towing section of the owners manual regarding towing weight limits without a tranny cooler.

· Registered
15,004 Posts
Wow!......the so called “warmer”. IMO, the “hockey puck” is worthless as a warmer or cooler.....monitoring both ECT and TFT verifies same. TFT rises very slowly, especially in cool ambient temps, compared to ECT. On the flip side, TFT can easily run 30+ degrees higher than ECT in warm ambient temps.
The 3rd no longer has the ATF flowing through the radiator. This obviously was the engineering solution to try and moderate the ATF. IMO not adequate.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
We have a ‘17 G2 FWD Ridgeline.....under the hood twin to the G3 Pilot. ‘17-‘20 FWD Ridgeline’s only have the “warmer”, like the G3 Pilot. Installing a “real” tranny cooler on our Ridgeline has made a huge difference in lowering summer time TFTs. From a cold start, TFT is still very slow to rise, compared to ECT.

· Registered
45 Posts
I would guess closer to 3600 - 3800 pounds. It comes in at 2380 lbs dry weight according to Bentleys site, ie: no motor, no fuel no extras and no trailer. Pontoon trailers generally weight around 1000 to 1200 lbs on their own.
Oh ok interesting. When I Googled the weight I kept coming up with 1650lbs. Oh well, I guess all the more impressive for the first time pulling the boat with this vehicle.

Thanks,

· Registered
2019 Touring
17 Posts
Figure I would post a pic of our 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD with our Geo Pro 19BH trailer. We use an Equal-i-zer 10k WDH and a Curt Spectrum brake controller. Dry the trailer sticker is 3200lbs w/cargo capacity of 1133lbs. I have to weigh the setup but I estimate we are about 4000lbs loaded. 450lbs on the tongue weight measured with a weigh safe ball scale when loaded.

Factory trans cooler and hitch installed.

I monitor temps with a Scan Gauge II and also have the S-VCM module. I have seen VCM kick on even when towing since it seems to mostly look for loads less than 30% before enabling. I can't recall ever seeing temps on the trans break 210F since the factory trans cooler was installed. Prior to that, even without towing but with the vehicle loaded down with camping gear and 4 passengers we have seen 218-220f when coming back home from Utah in the Vegas 116F heat. A bit concerned of what trans temps may be when towing this trailer in the summer. Time will tell.

The Pilot has some mods. 18" 265/60/18 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires and as pictured 1.5" lift in the front and 2.5" lift in the rear.

In the Vegas area, on days without wind she tows great, could easily maintain 75mph where legal but I still keep her between 55-70mph depending on wind (45mph on one trip for about a mile or two). We have 20-30+mph winds more often than not so really, I would like to upgrade to a truck. This will be our first summer towing with this heavier trailer so we will see how she does.

View attachment 147587
How does the pilot do with the 450lb tongue weight (i know we are rated for 500 with a modest load in the vehicle)? How much cargo / how many passengers do you have while towing? I have a 19 Touring with the factory 3500# towing package/ wire harness and am considering adding a tranny cooler and brake controller to purchase an identical travel trailer. Also, any good add on mirror options or do the OEM mirrors give you enough visibility?

121 - 140 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.