Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

We need a thread where you can post a picture of your Pilot with whatever you tow.

It would be great to post year of your Pilot, any mods (eg brake controller.coolers etc) as well as details on what you are towing together with weights, WDH.

Bonus points for anyone remembering where they were when the picture was taken!

You get the picture. Now go out and take a picture!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
2012 EX-l towing a fiberglass Excalibur trailer with a full custom 1960 pan head H.D.

For the "bonus point" i was in the Safeway parking lot :31:

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Towing

2003 Honda Pilot
towing mods: Reece receiver hitch and B&M trans cooler.

14' Sears Jon Boat 9.5 Johnson outboard.

24' Harris Pontoon 85hp Johnson outboard

1991 Honda XR250L,2002 Honda XR50R on 5x8 utility trailer.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
We miss our Pilot...I am not convinced we needed a bigger SUV just yet. Next year when we spend 3 weeks out West may finally convince me.

Pic taken at a truck stop well north of Wisconsin Dells, coming back from Wyalusing and Willow River State Park week+ trip.

We never loaded up all 3 ATV's with the Pilot towing...this is as close as we got when the Pilot was nearly brand new.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
RinconVTR; It's nice to see you still posting here..... how are you liking that big Toyota?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
RinconVTR; It's nice to see you still posting here..... how are you liking that big Toyota?
The Sequoia (Tundra in SUV mode) is a beast. The insane power is really nice, but so rarely used. Even towing, there's so much power, I cant recall forcefully and intently forcing the pedal to the floor.

It shifts often enough while towing, as any gas motor will, holding itself in 5th at 65-70mph, and sometimes 4th going up hill (its a 6 speed). Much like the Pilot would hold 4th or forcibly hold 3rd using the D3 button.

Towing MPG is ironically the very same as the Pilot (9-12mpg). And I still cant believe it. Everyday MPG is 14-15mpg, and highway is 18-19.

I still check in here to check for any active towing questions mostly. And because I am betting I will sell the Sequoia for a Gen 3 Pilot in 3-4 years when our once a year national travel towing a travel trailer ends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
2011 EX-L NAVI 4WD - Stock

19ft Chaparral H2O

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honda towing honda

2013 EX 4wd towing a 2005 LX civic

On the east side of Denver all the way to Ottawa, Ontario.
If it wasn't for the big bangs going over bumps with the dolly trailer, I wouldn't have even remembered the civic was back there. No problems with breaking or going the "recommended 55mph" (plus some) :29:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
20' Crownline Boat

I use my Pilot to tow my Crownline 202 that weighs almost 4,000 lbs fully loaded. It has double axle and surge brrakes.

The Pilot has a tranny cooler and Monroe SensaTrack rear shocks...(shocks make a huge difference in both handling and the life of the tires!)

Pilot handles boat ok ...... The 4wd is great on some of the loading ramps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats a 2011 Honda Pilot towing a Jayco 195RB which comes in at 2800lbs plus gear and it gets 12-9mpg. It was towing a larger trailer (4000+lbs) for a bit and did ok, but it tows the Jayco pretty well. Only time will tell if the transmission will hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's a not-so-great photo of our "new" 2012 Honda Pilot pulling our trailer. You can almost spot Oscar the Rocket Dog in the window.

This was the first time I hooked up the Pilot to the trailer. I went for a quick test run around the block.

We bought the Pilot to replace our Odyssey. Although the Odyssey handled fine pulling the trailer, we wanted something that would be better suited to towing. We attend hobby rocket launches and often end up driving on dirt roads and into fields. After having to be pulled out of mud a few times over the past few years, we also wanted something that was less likely to get stuck. So, we got the 4wd version of the Pilot.

The trailer's not very big or heavy so I hardly noticed it at all as I drove around the block. I could hear some rattling of the draw bar in the receiver whenever I changed speed or hit a bump. But, otherwise, it was pretty much like driving without a trailer.

I'm happy. :)

-- Roger

·
Registered
32 Posts
The trailer's not very big or heavy so I hardly noticed it at all as I drove around the block. I could hear some rattling of the draw bar in the receiver whenever I changed speed or hit a bump. But, otherwise, it was pretty much like driving without a trailer.
We're towing the trailer on a long trip over Memorial Day weekend, so I took it for another test run yesterday with the trailer almost fully loaded.

One difference from before is that I replaced the ball mount with a Convert-A-Ball brand cushioned draw bar. In addition to being cushioned, the Convert-A-Ball fits in the receiver better than the draw bar I had before. So, it's really effective and I hardly heard anything from the trailer as I towed it. I recommend the cushioned draw bar.

-- Roger

1 - 20 of 100 Posts