Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thanks to all those members who responded to my spare "donut" question.

I've attached a picture of that 11mm wrench that punctured my tire. Although my Pilot is less than two weeks old, I'm not going to let a wrench foul up the machinery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
:eek: What happened? :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wow, how such a blunt object ended up puncturing a tire like that is a mystery to me. Chalk it up as a freaky incident. So, you are gonna get a new set of tires then? Have you decided on which ones?

·
Registered
920 Posts
FLPilot said:
:eek: What happened? :eek:
I highly doubt that you got 24 mpg...sorry man. Were you driving downhill?

I just took a 3300 mile trip and avg only 19 or so-

·
Registered
620 Posts
MG Pilot said:

I got 22 MPG once... It was actually uphill to Lake Tahoe then downhill home... 4th tankful... But I'm averaging 18 mpg with 2300 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
MG Pilot said:

Well if you want to read the story you need to go to this THREAD

No I was not traveling downhill, we don't know what those are down here in S. Florida :rolleyes:

Are you saying that you drove 3300 miles on the highway the entire time? I ask because my trip was all highway miles.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
MG Pilot said:

It's not so hard to believe. Check out this link go near the bottom of the thread for my mileage report on the trip I just took. The road that gave me >24MPG was pretty much all flat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what happened. My son and I were driving home after his basketball game doing about 40mph when we both heard a loud "POP" from the rear of the Pilot. It was loud enough for me to decide to pull over and investigate. As I walked back to the rear passenger side tire, I heard that distinctive hissing sound of air escaping. When I bend down to see what caused the damage to the tire "what to my wondering eyes should appear but an 11mm wrench buried in there." I can't fathom how such a flat and dull object could possibly puncture a tire. I'm assuming that the other side of the wrench is an open end because I can't imagine that the closed end could cause that type of damage.

I've already ordered two (2) OEM Goodyear Integrity tires ($61 each from the TireRack). One for the vehicle and one for a full size spare.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"that 11mm wrench that punctured my tire. "

Woah!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
MG Pilot said:

My all time best is 24.87mpg (just a few weeks ago coming home from the Black Hills. Even on my trip to SC early this year (see this link) I got over 20mpg pulling a trailer!

YMMV

·
Registered
342 Posts
You know, that sort of thing is bad for your tires. :rolleyes:

I'll bet you're glad the tire didn't throw it up against the side of the Pilot!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh there it is.... that's my wrench that I accidently chucked out my car window while driving. Thank you for finding it!

·
Registered
920 Posts
FLPilot said:

Well if you want to read the story you need to go to this THREAD

No I was not traveling downhill, we don't know what those are down here in S. Florida :rolleyes:

Are you saying that you drove 3300 miles on the highway the entire time? I ask because my trip was all highway miles.
The 3300 miles I drove was mainly highway...from Mpls to Banff, AB, CA. Perhaps my speed had something to do with it. I was clocking 85-90 mph most of the way. Regardless, don't you guys think that 19 mpg is kinda low for this trip???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is that a craftman? I need a 11mm wrench for my tool kit.:awais:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
:p is that the guilty wrench that keyed my car?:(

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
dukeofjuke: Are you sure you weren't home late one night and your wife dropped it on the driveway while she was waiting for you...??? :D :eek: :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I say that wrench should burn in "hayell"... Let's ban all 11mm wrenches and make them into ashtrays or coasters or something!

I can't even remember ever using an 11mm!:confused:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
kemosabe said:
dukeofjuke: Are you sure you weren't home late one night and your wife dropped it on the driveway while she was waiting for you...??? :D :eek: :p
That lady looks like she means business. :13:

Better that the wrench held by that wench got up close and personal with dukeofjuke's TIRE instead of his HEAD!!!!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
MG Pilot said:

The 3300 miles I drove was mainly highway...from Mpls to Banff, AB, CA. Perhaps my speed had something to do with it. I was clocking 85-90 mph most of the way. Regardless, don't you guys think that 19 mpg is kinda low for this trip???
Not at that speed. MPG drops like a rock once you approach 75 or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts