Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. Picked up a 2003 EX-L on Friday and am excited to join the club.
141k on the odo
It’s in pretty decent shape.
needs: seat covers, charcoal EVAP canister, alignment.
Hope I didn’t pay too much ($3500)....but vehicles last <12hrs in the big city I live in so after the test drive, I committed!

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plans include; 2” lift, all terrain tires and maybe a roof basket. Wanna keep it simple but functional.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Sounds like you are looking to make this into a bit of an off roader. Put it on a lift and crawl around underneath it well and inspect the frame. Unibody construction is not in the top two for ideal choices for such applications especially considering the two choices currently are body on frame and unibody.

At that age I would be concerned with frame rust issues. There are those that espouse that they can often fix such issues with a welded on patch of some kind or another. I am not one of them, nor is Honda and most frame and body shop repair locations. This is not how you want to find yourself somewhere.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s a Texas car- zero rust on the frame. First thing I did was crawl around the bottom when I was removing the running boards. I actually can’t believe how great of shape the frame is in. It will be extremely light duty....I’m mainly concerned about getting stuck in the sand while visiting my parents. I had a Jeep TJ w/ 4” lift and 33” mud terrains 10+ years ago. Those hardcore days are far behind me!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
I’m mainly concerned about getting stuck in the sand while visiting my parents.
You'll find the Pilot's VTM-4 system does a relatively surprisingly good job in the sand.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would work thru the following

1. timing belt/water pump kit (should have been done at 105k if you can verify), accy belt
2. drain and top off trans fluid, do this three times with driving between drain and fills if you want to replace most of the fluid. I have 225K on my 03, I drain and fill trans fluid every other oil change.
3. oil, filter, air filter, cabin air filter
4. brake inspection, bleed/replace fluid
5. replace the power steering reservoir (there was an upgrade for 03s)
6. remove panel on left side of console and clean screen - will help air flow to rear seats

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Hello, all. Picked up a 2003 EX-L on Friday and am excited to join the club.
141k on the odo
It’s in pretty decent shape.
needs: seat covers, charcoal EVAP canister, alignment.
Hope I didn’t pay too much ($3500)....
Based off the pic the Pilot looks great. Perform the steps outlined by @fivermillions and that Pilot should be GTG.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts

1. timing belt/water pump kit (should have been done at 105k if you can verify), accy belt
2. drain and top off trans fluid, do this three times with driving between drain and fills if you want to replace most of the fluid. I have 225K on my 03, I drain and fill trans fluid every other oil change.
6. remove panel on left side of console and clean screen - will help air flow to rear seats
I would add, if there is a fluid in the vehicle, replace it so do the differential as well.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would add, if there is a fluid in the vehicle, replace it so do the differential as well.
The front differential and transfer case on a 2003 is lubed by the transmission fluid. You should definitely service the rear differential. It's probably overdue, people tend to forget that it's there. Use only Honda VTM4 fluid in the rear diff.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts

All good points.

2. It's what I do, too. Pilot transmissions are their Achilles' heel, so that's cheap insurance.

6. Good words, and here are the pics:

The front differential and transfer case on a 2003 is lubed by the transmission fluid. You should definitely service the rear differential. It's probably overdue, people tend to forget that it's there. Use only Honda VTM4 fluid in the rear diff.
Also good words. And here's a vid:

Important to do especially if you're visiting your Sand People (AKA Tusken Raider) kin on Tatooine. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts