I decided to to a bit of a "custom" install with my XM controller. I removed the "not an ashtray" because I don't use it anyway, removed the metal plate in that cavity (used to secure the drawer), used a dremel to remove the plastic guides that the drawer slid along, cut a block of wood to serve as a backing plate (secured with screws), and attached the controller to the block of wood using velcro. This was my "first edition" and it looked great, but had a bit of an unfinished look because of the way the surface of the drawer opening was, so I decided to use the plastic trim/mounting bracket that came with the Alpine to give it a bit more of a finished look. I used a dremel to separate the face of the mounting bracket from the rest of it, cut the bottom edge of the bracket off, then used a candle to heat up the lower part of each side to bend it around to match the lower part of the dash and glued it around the controller. It sits flush with the rest of the dash and integrates so well that you probably wouldn't even notice it when you get in the car. I'm really happy with the results. Here's how it looks now.
47.4 KB Views: 716