Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to to a bit of a "custom" install with my XM controller. I removed the "not an ashtray" because I don't use it anyway, removed the metal plate in that cavity (used to secure the drawer), used a dremel to remove the plastic guides that the drawer slid along, cut a block of wood to serve as a backing plate (secured with screws), and attached the controller to the block of wood using velcro. This was my "first edition" and it looked great, but had a bit of an unfinished look because of the way the surface of the drawer opening was, so I decided to use the plastic trim/mounting bracket that came with the Alpine to give it a bit more of a finished look. I used a dremel to separate the face of the mounting bracket from the rest of it, cut the bottom edge of the bracket off, then used a candle to heat up the lower part of each side to bend it around to match the lower part of the dash and glued it around the controller. It sits flush with the rest of the dash and integrates so well that you probably wouldn't even notice it when you get in the car. I'm really happy with the results. Here's how it looks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Blitzsafe adapter showed up today and it was a breeze to install. There is definitely a noticable improvement over FM modulation. Not that it sounded bad with the FM modulator, but the line level input definitely sounds better. I don't plan to add a changer, so I went with the "single mode" adapter.

Thanks to Steve Luman and gksmith for all the info!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
xyzzy said:
My Blitzsafe adapter showed up today and it was a breeze to install. There is definitely a noticable improvement over FM modulation. Not that it sounded bad with the FM modulator, but the line level input definitely sounds better. I don't plan to add a changer, so I went with the "single mode" adapter.

Thanks to Steve Luman and gksmith for all the info!
FYI, if you want to add an Alpine Changer in the future, just daisy-chain it to the XM receiver. The XM display will allow you to toggle between the XM & Changer (run a cable from the Ai-Net out of the changer to the Ai-Net in of the XM tuner). It's a simple as that. Now that you have the Alpine XM tuner working, the dual interface is not needed for the additional changer.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Discovered that last night when I was going back through the docs for the Alpine. If I did anything with MP3's in the car, it would most likely be with a portable mass storage (hard disk based) type device and I would connect it via the RCA inputs. If I'm going to put MP3's onto a disk, I usually just burn them as CD audio. That way my wife can use them in her "technically challenged" by comparison CD player in the Sienna. I just need to test to make sure that the RCA inputs aren't bypassed somehow in the Blitzsafe configuration (I wouldn't think so, but I just need to make sure). If I go this route I'll probably make a nifty little dock for it somewhere in the center console.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MY XM RADIO WAS INSTALLED YESTERDAY BY A LOCAL RADIO
INSTALLER IN OUR AREA. HE`S DONE A GOOD JOB BUT, HE
SPENT 6 HRS TO INSTALL. HE HAD TO TAKE THE RADIO OUT TO ACCESS THE BACK OF THE UNIT. HE
INSTALL THE ALPINE RECEIVER AND THE A 12 CD CHANGER AT
THE BACK COMPARTMENT. THE CONTROLLER IS ON BY THE
ASHTRAY AS SHOWN ON THE PIC POSTED BY XYZZY.THANKS
FOR THE POSTING.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Six hours sounds like a lot. I have a total of 2 hours into mine and that included routing the antenna from the back, installing a Blitzsafe adapter, and even the customization of drilling out the ashtray area and creating the custom trim.

In the end, so long as you are happy with the job done, then the extra time waited is worth it (I hope the labor was a fixed fee and not hourly).

Enjoy your new XM radio. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It takes 6 hrs because with the navigation. You are right its
worth it and cost me $350 bucks for the unit and labor. So
its not bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts