Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Gang, my camera (Kodak DC4800) has "issues"...

btw, those are the stock bulbs in the box (already swapped out)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
stock left, piaa right - low beam 1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock left, piaa right - low beam 2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock left, piaa right - high beams 1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock left, piaa right - high beams 2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
piaa left, stock right - low beams on wall

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
piaa left, stock right - high beams on wall

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you just swap out the old bulb for these new PIAAs or do you have to change anything else like wiring, fuses, etc.?

Sorry for the dumb question... I've only used standard replacement bulbs in the past.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mcardle,

these are poor man's HID... :) someday I'll bite the bullet and get the real thing

shutrbug,

it's a simple swap, unplug the old bulbs, remove, plug the new bulbs in

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've been watching these for quite some time and really like the white light. Has anyone done this with their foglights as well? I think it would look strange with regular foglights and white regular lights. Also, what kind of life are you getting out of the white bulbs? I seem to remember some of the early knock-offs burning out rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had a pair of PIAA Super Whites in my 90 Accord (low beams) for probably 3-4 years now. No problems at all (knock on wood). I hope these new ones last as long...

I just installed a pair of PIAA 540 driving lights (they are also Xtreme White - matching the H4's I just installed). Try to post a pic or two later tonight or tomorrow...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I understand that aftermarket HID kits are legal only for off road use. Are these bulbs street legal ?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you do a search on Google, you'll get a LOT of hits ("PIAA" or "PIAA driving lights" or "PIAA bulbs", etal). There are quite a few different types of "near HID" bulbs that PIAA makes.

www.PIAA.com - they (of course) state that their bulbs are legal in all 50 states. The Glossary section shows a nice wavelength/color chart (so you can picture what they mean by "plasma", "super", "xtreme", etc).

I paid about $52 and tax for this set at www.adventon.com (local for me). I'll admit that I didn't shop for prices on this set because I was already buying a pair of PIAA 540 driving lights from Adventon ($170 and some change).

Regarding legality issues, I don't foresee any problems* (YMMV!), even with HID, as long as your lights are properly adjusted. The bluer your lights are, however, the more subject to scrutiny they will be. I'm not a big fan of the blue/purple look and these 4150k lights are just what I like... Then again, I'm not really all that concerned with equipment violations... :D

* It will also depend upon the "vehicle code" in your state

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kelvin scale

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed my fog lights with PIAA Extreme Whites, and I really like them. Technically, I don't think they do as well in the fog, but for regular night driving, I'm really happy with them over stock. The road is much more visible to me.

This is with Silverstars as the main headlight

Ted

·
Registered
18 Posts
PIAA

Samuel,

I'm about to put my PIAA Extreme Whites on tomorrow. How have yours performed so far. I understand there's a 1 yr warranty on them. I know I'm paying the extra bucks but it's quality I'm after. They're not too blue are they? And have you had any other drivers complain (flash you) because of the brightness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JL, so far so good. Knock on wood, no problems yet. I've actually had PIAA's installed in a 90 Accord for approximately 4-5 years now with no problems. I hope the ones in the Pilot perform similarly.

As for others flashing me, not really; I haven't changed the headlight adjustment from the dealer and the upper "cut off line" of the beams isn't that high.

The only blue is the tint on the glass and what you can see in the headlight housings during daytime with the lights off. The light output is very white and I don't see any blue in it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts