Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has already been posted, but good lord what a awful time I had this morning simply draining the coolant from the radiator of my 2016 Pilot. I had to remove two separate pieces of protective trim under the radiator to even find the drain valve in the first place. You can't even see it from underneath by looking thru the exisitng holes in the trim. It's all gotta come off. Forget what you see in the YouTube videos. If you have a Pilot like mine, there is no access panel or open area under the drain. It is hidden above the under-engine trim. In fact, had I not attached a drain hose to the valve, coolant would have spilled all over the remaining trim before finding a way to the ground or my pan. Since I just only did a drain and refill without opening the block coolant plug (that is even more difficult to get at), I have all this to look forward to again in a few days so I get a more complete flush-out of the old coolant.:mad:

IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2374.JPG

·
Registered
68 Posts
My apologies if this has already been posted, but good lord what a awful time I had this morning simply draining the coolant from the radiator of my 2016 Pilot. I had to remove two separate pieces of protective trim under the radiator to even find the drain valve in the first place. You can't even see it from underneath by looking thru the exisitng holes in the trim. It's all gotta come off. Forget what you see in the YouTube videos. If you have a Pilot like mine, there is no access panel or open area under the drain. It is hidden above the under-engine trim. In fact, had I not attached a drain hose to the valve, coolant would have spilled all over the remaining trim before finding a way to the ground or my pan. Since I just only did a drain and refill without opening the block coolant plug (that is even more difficult to get at), I have all this to look forward to again in a few days so I get a more complete flush-out of the old coolant.:mad:

View attachment 150891 View attachment 150892
Isn't the maintenance schedule 10 years for first coolant change--at least for the 2011 version?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Isn't the maintenance schedule 10 years for first coolant change--at least for the 2011 version?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I thought it aligned with the t-belt schedule - 7 years or 100k miles. That's when I did ours and coolant was still quite clean on our 2013.

Reactions: Pdaddy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know. It may have been for the 2011 model year, but for 2016 you have to wait for the "change engine coolant" maintenance sub code in the Maintenance Minder system to pop up.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,148 Posts
I thought it aligned with the t-belt schedule - 7 years or 100k miles. That's when I did ours and coolant was still quite clean on our 2013.
Every timing belt change results in coolant drain and water pump replacement as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts