Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few different threads talking about the Sylvania SilverStars or the Philips Vision Plus (which I am currently leaning towards).. the question of longevity usually comes up.. but I havent heard or read anything as far as personal experience that would make me believe longevity would be a concern (at least not at this point)..

Has anyone else heard anything ? Of the people who have changed their headlights, how long have you had them ? Have you ever had a problem ?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Silver Stars

I've had my Silver Stars for about a month now. I did notice an improvement in night vision. They don't appear to bother oncoming traffic, even when I'm towing a trailer.

Since they're only a month old, the durabillity issue is still unknown.....:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some MDXs have had their SilverStars for 2+ years...

...without problems.

I belive the design of the Sylvania filaments should be about as durable as a stock bulb, perhaps moreso.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
More light, less life

Ther is no way to break this rule.
A good quality manufacturer finds a ballance that is workable.
I put Hella, Phillips, and Sylvania in this group.
PIAA pushes the brightness at the expense of lifespan, but still makes a good but pricy bulb.
As for all the super bright bulbs out there. If you get a year you get a lot.

Just my opinoin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I had a set of PIAAs I was extremely happy with until they burned out like 4 months later.. which, for me was about 30 minutes of head light use on weekdays.. hopefully the Philips will last longer.. the reason I went with the Philips was just because they were $28/pair with free shipping.. I couldnt find Silver Stars for the same or similar price..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: More light, less life

I don't believe this is ALWAYS true, for several reasons.

The common method of constructing ANY lightbulb relys on a filament. The material and support that are used for the filament can vary widely. I believe it is entirely possible to use a high quality filament and support it in an innovative way that will result in more light output and very good longevity, of course this costs more than the 'regular old bulb', but it IS acheivable.

In fact, this link to the Osram/Slvania site has some bulbs listed that ARE designed for increased output, yet have very acceptable life of about 85% of the regular 'Gold Standard' bulbs,granted these are NOT their SilverStars, but I would expect the Silver Stars to be VERY similar in longevity.

The "design goal" for a company like Osram/Sylvania is very different than a small volume company like PIAA. If Sylvania released a bulb with a GREATLY reduced life span (like one year or less) it would likely harm their overall reputation. PIAA can tolerate reduced life span, because virtaully every buyer would be aware of that trade off PRIOR to purchase...

BTW __ALL these comments ALSO apply to Phillips -- I just have seen more of the Slyvania bulbs ( and tend to think they are a bit better...)__

N_Jay said:
Ther is no way to break this rule.
A good quality manufacturer finds a ballance that is workable.
I put Hella, Phillips, and Sylvania in this group.
PIAA pushes the brightness at the expense of lifespan, but still makes a good but pricy bulb.
As for all the super bright bulbs out there. If you get a year you get a lot.

Just my opinoin.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: XD5 for better light

haknuman59 said:
haknuman59, Are these street legal?
The site you refer to lists them at 80 watts. I've found similarly rated bulbs listed as for off road only. The SilverStars are 55 watts.
Does anyone know what the maximum legal wattage (or lumens) is?

·
Registered
166 Posts
aric said:
I've read a few different threads talking about the Sylvania SilverStars or the Philips Vision Plus (which I am currently leaning towards).. the question of longevity usually comes up.. but I havent heard or read anything as far as personal experience that would make me believe longevity would be a concern (at least not at this point)..

Has anyone else heard anything ? Of the people who have changed their headlights, how long have you had them ? Have you ever had a problem ?
Where are people getting their bulbs from? The Philips Vision Plus don't claim to be DOT compliant and the only web sites I've found are in the UK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered mine from the UK and the other thread I read (either here or on acuramdx.org) also said that they used the UK website (autolamps-online.com, or something to that effect)..

I guess the Vision Plus arent DOT legal.. but to be quite honest, it doesnt bother me all that much.. my RX7 has non-DOT Hella H4 conversions, 100watt even.. but I've never bothered any on coming drivers (at least not to the point where I got high-beamed)..

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Powerbulbs.com
Used them twice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SilerStars again

Which Silver Star is the one I need for my Pilot?? Not quite sure which one is the correct bulb for my Pilot.

SilverStar High Performance Halogen Lumens Watts Color Temp
9003 ST 910/1500 Max. 65/72 4000° K
9004 ST 700/1200 Max. 50/70 4000° K
9005 ST 1700 Max. 70 4000° K
9006 ST 1000 Max. 60 4000° K
9007 ST 1000/1350 Max. 60/70 4000° K
H4 ST (for Motorcycles) 910/1500 Max. 65/72 4000° K
H4651 ST N/A Max. 55 4000° K
H4656 ST N/A Max. 65/43 4000° K
H4666 ST N/A Max. 60/70 4000° K
H6024 ST N/A Max. 55/65 4000° K
H6054 ST N/A Max. 60/70 4000° K

·
Registered
311 Posts
eastman - 9003ST But - you many want to reconsider changing them out. I installed them in Nov and frankly, I can't tell any difference. That said, I'm sure there is probably some slight improvement based on other reports here - side by side comparison. Anyway, if your set on getting them try Advance Auto Parts. When I got mine the set was on sale for 37.48 (buy one get one for half price) and then another 10.00 off with a mfg. mail-in rebate which expires 6/30/03.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Vision Plus last night and put them in.. side-by-side (one stock, one Vision Plus), you can totally tell that the Vision Plus is brighter and whiter.. after I put both in, I went cruisin' and did notice that the headlights seemed to go further with a more distinct cut-off.. it also seemed higher, although I didnt adjust the headlights.. driving behind a car though, I didn't think the headlights were that high..

Anyhow, after driving around.. I began to think they werent that bright after all.. but I'd compare headlights at intersections and could tell the Vision Plus where whiter than cars around me.. I also liked how the light was well dispursed in front of the car (but it was like that with the stock blubs anyhow).. anyways, after getting back into my neighborhood (where its darker), I noticed again that the light was brighter than I had remembered..

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase.. its a bit whiter and brighter.. if you're really unsatisfied with your stock headlights, there's not really any other alternative anyway, at least not for $30..

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed the Vision Plus headlight bulbs this past weekend and made the same observations as aric. Well worth the $30 dollar investment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hate to bump this old thread, but...

Almost 17-months, to the day, the Vision Plus on the passenger side failed. Fortunately, kept the OEM's, so swapped out the bad (with such an easy replacement, I'll wait on the driver's side).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Philips Vision Plus Update

Mine lasted right at a year and i don't do much night driving. After the first one went out 2 days later the second did the same. I've replace them with SYLVANIA's SilverStar 9003's. We will see how long they last.
They are a whiter light than the Philips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts