Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Pilot back in August, and when I got it, there were what appeared to be magic marker on one nut of each wheel. I washed on them but they wouldn't go away. So I figured that given time, it would wear off.

Well, four months later the markings are still there.

First, anyone know WHY they would be there?

Second, how do I get the ink (I'm assuming its ink) off of there?

Still loving my Pilot four months and 8,000 miles later...:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Probably

an inspection mark, to let everyone know the wheel is torqued.

I would try an alcohol whipe, or a ra with a drop on carb cleaner, paint remover, fingernail polish remover or some other solvent.
The lug nut is metal, so you are not going to hurt it no matter what you use (short of an acid).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here

I found the same thing on my lugs as well. I solved it by replacing the marked ones with a wheel lock.

My guess is the prep team marked one lug on each wheel to help remind them where they started the tightening process... but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought they were just "freckles"

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Same here

HONDER said:
I found the same thing on my lugs as well. I solved it by replacing the marked ones with a wheel lock.

My guess is the prep team marked one lug on each wheel to help remind them where they started the tightening process... but that's just a guess.
Me too, problem solved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try Ispropyl Alcohol

I haven't tried this yet, but if it is Sharpie permanent marker, then try Isopropyl Alcohol. I have used IPA to clean this before.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Me Too !

I used the wheel lock correction method too, but was also puzzled why delivery prep didn't clean off the marks. Then, again, no big deal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I used Goof Off to get permanent ink off. Works easily and it's quick too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same thing. Got it off with bug and tar remover.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Rip Van...

I was lazy...I told the dealer to take it off. I figured he should have found it in the prep process anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mini-rant

It sounds like all Pilots have these marked lugs (noticed them on mine too).

It's no big deal but doesn't it peeve you that you pay for PDI and they don't remove these marks?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know this sounds weird. but Toothepaste is great at removing Permanent Marker
Mdevine, how did you learn this? Do you have kids?

Evergreen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Evergreen...No kids now, but I have a kid on the way

Actually just last week on got Perm Marker on a nice wood table (>$1,000) in the Living room. I could not get it off with anything I tried. With fear of Wife in my heart, I scambled onto the internet and did a google search and found a site that recommended toothpaste. I tried it, it came right off...and wife has no clue.

God Bless the Internet.

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm going to try the toothpaste on the lugs. That's a great story mdevine.

Evergreen

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't know if type of toothpaste matters, but the plain white
"abrasive" kind instead of the green "minty" kind may do a better job. It does on scuba masks. Mask needs the abrasive to clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts