Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing the pilot this weekend after a long time (3 weeks or so) and noticed 3 nicks where paint was peeling from the side panels on the doors (the painted panels on the EX )

I did put touch up paint but am very upset. Guess this is to be expected when plastic is painted but is there any solution to prevent the panels from totally going south :3: :(

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
The thing that annoys me is that the panels on an LX appear to be unpainted gray, but the painted panels are black plastic. With a Starlight Silver Pilot, the paint dings would be much less noticeable if the panels were gray plastic.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think the door mouldings on the Pilot have very poor paint job on them. It seems to be nicked off very easily. The paint job on them could've been better, but I think this was another one of Honda's cost reduction measure on the Pilot. I've had to make use of the touch-up paint many times now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I first started reading this forum, another member had a similar problem with the paint peeling. And, when they used the power washer, the paint peeled off in a large chunk. Now, I am always careful now when I wash the Pilot.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any "clear-bra" type solution for this problem??

·
Registered
483 Posts
ramirami said:
I was washing the pilot this weekend after a long time (3 weeks or so) and noticed 3 nicks where paint was peeling from the side panels on the doors (the painted panels on the EX )

I did put touch up paint but am very upset. Guess this is to be expected when plastic is painted but is there any solution to prevent the panels from totally going south :3: :(
Rami, are you talking about the body side mldgs ( on the exterior of the door ) ? If so and the paint is actually peeling, this has to be due to poor adhesion. It sounds like the mldgs. are not prepped correctly. These need to be scuff sanded so that paint will adhere. If this is the case, this should be a warranty issue and be covered. I would talk to the service advisor on your next trip to the dealership and try to get the mldg. replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife had the same thing happen to the passenger door on her Pilot yesterday, leaving a black oval about 1-1 1/2 inches wide. By coincidence, we were taking it to the dealer for something else this morning. They told us "dings" from doors on other cars cause a chip in the paint on the molding and that the high pressure water in a car wash gets "under" the chip and peels it back.

They said they could not just repaint the molding because once it was "dented" the paint would not adhere properly. As a result, they were going to order replacement molding. I did not specifically ask about warranty coverage but am certainly going to insist that it be under the warranty. I can't think of any vehicle I've owned that hasn't ended up with loads of door dings and I've yet to see one where a car wash peels the paint off

·
Registered
34 Posts
Paint peeling on side moldings

I had a similar problem with the side molding on my silver Pilot. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they simply ordered a new side molding for me at no charge. Should have it replaced by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Has anyone tried taking off the side moldings? Does it require any special tools to pull them off? I'm thinking of covering the molding with the 3M clear protective tape.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've noticed small nicks on mine and I am upset too and wondering how much more the side panels will get damaged.

Hopefully, if the situation gets worse it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dakdabble, we had the exact same experience - the power wash zipped off a strip of paint where we had touched up a ding. The dealer did not plan to replace it because there had been a ding there.

We also noticed paint on the panel behind the wheel well where the paint is starting to strip back. Here there was no ding - I can only imagine the tire kicked something up that scratched the paint. We are going to the dealer tonight with a print out of this thread to demand they replace the panels at no cost.

Also, we were bringing some pre-fab fence sections home on the roof rack. I opened the hatch to put some concrete in the back (for the fence). The spoiler pushed up against the sections of fence. When I closed the hatch, there were two lines of paint (1" by .25") left on the fence - stripped off the spoiler. The paint sucks.

Anyone know how to complain to Honda directly?

·
Registered
602 Posts
mrm said:
When I closed the hatch, there were two lines of paint (1" by .25") left on the fence - stripped off the spoiler. The paint sucks.

If there's one thing that Honda doesn't do well, it is paint. IMHO

·
Registered
99 Posts
<b> wwong</b> your 3M idea :29: sounds great. You should consider developing a kit to cover said area. :4:

Soon you will have a nice little business going.:7:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
pilot4me said:
<b> wwong</b> your 3M idea :29: sounds great. You should consider developing a kit to cover said area. :4:

Soon you will have a nice little business going.:7:

How about covering the entire Pilot with the 3M film??

Or you could always try this....

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is what sucks about most new cars nowadays. They use plastic for side mouldings and fenders. One of the main reasons why I changed my mind about the 2003 4runner. Too much plastic! And even with their Limited Edition all painted version it is still alot of plastic and in 5 years I can see how a 4runner will look like. I also have one chip or ding the side of a pencil tip on my passenger door side molding. I need to touch it up asap before my next wash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts