Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing a lot about PCV valves so I decided to replace mine given that it's original to the car and I can't imagine it's performing at 100%. I have the part and I'm having some serious nerves because I keep hearing about people's breaking off and causing huge issues!

It seems so simple, only one bolt, but does anyone have tips for me to hopefully make sure I don't end up with a half broken PCV valve stuck in my engine?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I've been hearing a lot about PCV valves so I decided to replace mine given that it's original to the car and I can't imagine it's performing at 100%. I have the part and I'm having some serious nerves because I keep hearing about people's breaking off and causing huge issues!

It seems so simple, only one bolt, but does anyone have tips for me to hopefully make sure I don't end up with a half broken PCV valve stuck in my engine?
Maybe after the bolt is removed, if it doesn't come out easily, could use a light twisting action to help against the carbon buildup (but that may be the reason for them breaking, sooo if you can get it partially out, some liberal use of carb cleaner will likely help).

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
I’ve done both of mine without breaking. Get it rotating before trying to pull. Small straight slot screwdriver on the edge and some light hammer tapping after removing the bolt. Make sure the 2 o rings come out with it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
As stated above, gentle rotating and carb cleaner after removing the bolt.

You may have already read this and hopefully won't need it, but it's always good to have a contingency plan:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to NAPA and got one for $20. Replaced it in the parking lot and thankfully the old one came out relatively easy and the new one went in. I put some clean oil on the seals for good measure. The old one rattled a little bit but it was pretty dirty. The engine was warm so I may just be imagining things but it seems to be idling a little smoother. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Whew, dodged that bullet.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
432 Posts
I went to NAPA and got one for $20. Replaced it in the parking lot and thankfully the old one came out relatively easy and the new one went in. I put some clean oil on the seals for good measure. The old one rattled a little bit but it was pretty dirty. The engine was warm so I may just be imagining things but it seems to be idling a little smoother. Time will tell.
Warm engine- Great Idea!!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I've never replaced a PCV valve. Never thought I need to?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I say so. Cheap and easy (if you're careful/lucky) engine maintenance and performance item.

YMMV, literally. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been having low idle. To a point that it does. I've cleaned the EGR passageways. Thinking about pulling pcv it out later. Thx for all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts