Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the PCV Valve out, but questioned whether or not I should mess with the grommet. It does not seem to be brittle. I've heard of nightmarish events where, normally it's brittle, it breaks apart and fall in when trying to remove it. I want to just let her be and put the new PCV Valve in.

Any advice on this?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Just put the new PVC valve in and consider yourself lucky it went so well for you. :)

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
If you can't help yourself from fiddling with that grommet, well :), you're...

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
I don’t recall there being a grommet on the engine block. There are some o-rings on the PCV valve which normally come attached to it (at least the OEM ones I ordered had them).

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To address @road2cycle, there is a grommet on my 2004 Pilot ExL.

Now to add a story to the change of my PCV valve.

When I bought my used Pilot, I decided I would change the oil, change the transmission fluid, change the steering fluid and change the PCV valve. Originally, I did the oil & the transmission, but not the steering or the PCV valve. The steering still, still not done, makes some noise but steers smoothly. The PCV valve, now changed, was originally feared from reading some of the horror stories of breaking off into the crankcase. I put it off until I notice something.

It was a foggy morning when I dropped my daughter off at school when I thought I noticed a light steam of white smoke coming from under the hood. I contributed it to fog blowing by in the wind. For a couple of days, I didn't see any smoke. Then one morning I started the Pilot and a greater amount of smoke appeared from under the hood then seemed to disappear. When I got to my destination, the Pilot began stuttering & and died. I was able to drive it back home but it was running rough. I opened the hood and notice light smoke coming from the crankcase and decided I would try changing the PCV valve before I assume the worst. After changing the PCV valve, I have not had any smoke and the car is running smoothly once again. I did buy some of that carbon remover stuff, Gumout Regane, and put that in my gas tank as well.

Hope this helps somebody if they encounter the same problem. I am considering changing the spark plugs in the near future.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Good to know. Honda must have changed the PCV valve after 2004.
Hopefully changing it resolves your issue. Did you check if the ball inside the old one was stuck?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Good to know. Honda must have changed the PCV valve after 2004.
Hopefully changing it resolves your issue. Did you check if the ball inside the old one was stuck?
there were plenty of changes to the pcv location in the 04-06 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PCV was clogged really bad, which does cause concern about any possible damage. We took a couple of long distance trips before it started smoking. I also cleaned the fitted tube rather than purchase replacement tubing. The fitted tube seemed to have a smaller hole on the inside (just big enough for a pipe cleaner) than the connecting part. The PCV fix was only $3.99+tax. One post I was relying on was where someone mentioned that the PCV isn't mentioned in serviceable parts. But he did add that he changed his. I'm glad I changed mine. So far, so good.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
One post I was relying on was where someone mentioned that the PCV isn't mentioned in serviceable parts. But he did add that he changed his. I'm glad I changed mine. So far, so good.
If it isn't it should be. I changed mine.

The next item on that list could very well be cleaning your EGR ports/passages, and cleaning or replacing you EGR valve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it isn't, it should be. I changed mine.

The next item on that list could very well be cleaning your EGR ports/passages, and cleaning or replacing you EGR valve.
I will definitely look into changing those. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts