Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can or should the PCM idle learn procedure be performed even if I have 9000KM (6600miles) on it already? Is this too late and more importantly, would my Pilot have had a "better start" in its "life" if it was performed in the beginning rather than never at all up until now?

Seeing as how my dealer has always demonstrated how utterly incompetent and irresponsible they are, I doubt if that was ever performed during the PDI. As well, I had a remote car starter installed at a localshop at about the 4000KM (2485mi) and I know they disconnected my battery for sure.

I can't find the instructions for properly performing a PCM idle anywhere in the manual at all. However, I did find this in one of SoapPlant's posts:
Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
- Make sure all electrical items are turned off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
- Let the engine idle for about 5 mintues with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on during this step, the time when it is operating must not be included in the 5 minutes.
Just to make sure my feeble brain fully comprehends what's to be done for the last step, once the radiator fan kicks in after having held the [email protected], I completely let go of the gas pedal and let the car idle for 5 minutes. But, let's say at the 2min30sec mark, the radiator fan kicks in, then I stop couting down and wait until the fan goes off and I let it idle for another 2min30sec, is that correct?

How about in the case where, after having held the [email protected], the fan kicks in, so I let go of the gas to let it idle. But, isn't it fair to assume that the radiator fan will continue to operate until the engine cools down a bit? If so, do I wait for the fan to go off before I start the 5min countdown?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but I just want to make sure I do this right since it is highly likely that this will be the very first time ever performed on my Pilot.

Also, I remember reading N_Jay's post about disconnecting the battery and then doing it. Again, since I'm so slow, I have to ask this. He meant that the battery should be disconnected, then reconnected, then perform PCM idle, correct? I know the answer already, but I can't help it but to ask!! Would someone put me out of my misery?? :11:

Any other tips/suggestions/clarifications about doing the PCM idle learn procedure to help this dense fellow Pilot owner would be much appreciated :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
The PDI says that when you disconnect the battery:

1. Make sure all electical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger lights, etc.) are off.
2. Start the engine, and let it reach normal ooperating temperature (the cooling fans cycle twice).
3. Let the engine idle with the throttle closed and all electical items off for 10 minutes.

Thats all it says. Hope it helps.

Full version here:
http://www.eferdie.com/pilot/pdi.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I found 2 different PCM ILP instructions and was wondering if anyone knew why they're different or which would be the recommended one?

The one Ferdball provided me with, which looks to be Honda's own PDI checklist for the Pilot says the following:

1. Make sure all electical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger lights, etc.) are off.
2. Start the engine, and let it reach normal operating temperature (the cooling fans cycle twice).
3. Let the engine idle with the throttle closed and all electical items off for 10 minutes.

But when you take a look in any of the instructions in http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03pilot/ the PCM ILP instructions are as follows:

- Make sure all electrical items are turned off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
- Let the engine idle for about 5 mintues with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on during this step, the time when it is operating must not be included in the 5 minutes.

They're similar, but definitely different. If you had to do one, which would you choose?

Also, about the last part in the second instruction, would you be able to hear the radiator fan come on even when you're revving the rpm @3K? And if it remains on once you start your 5 minute countdown, should you wait for it to go off before you start it since it says that the time when the radiator fan is operating must not be included in the 5 minutes?

I'm trying to see what I can do by myself since none of the dealers (all three in this city) refuses to believe that there's a pinging noise coming from my engine and also, always mitigates my concern about the very poor mileage I'm getting. So, would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
There should be no need to hold the rev's...

Afterall, the Idle Air Controller WON'T be doing anything WHEN THE THROTTLE IS OPEN...

The first set of instructions makes sense!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: There should be no need to hold the rev's...

renov8r said:
Afterall, the Idle Air Controller WON'T be doing anything WHEN THE THROTTLE IS OPEN...

The first set of instructions makes sense!
Thank you so much!!:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Two things

I figured out how to use host headers, so you can use http://pilot.eferdie.com (yay)

I put a bunch of pdf's in the documents directory, so if you need anything, check there.

I wonder... is there a document depository on this site?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Two things

Ferdball said:
I figured out how to use host headers, so you can use http://pilot.eferdie.com (yay)

I put a bunch of pdf's in the documents directory, so if you need anything, check there.

I wonder... is there a document depository on this site?
I don't think so. I haven't seen anything like that. Hey, you're onto something ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Now I know what a red-headed stepchild feels like. The have games and stuff over at the Acura site. Man, I suck at Donkey Kong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Re: Re: NAVI PDI?

RipRocK said:

I think it's Pre-Delivery Inspection, but don't quote me on that. Check out http://www.eferdie.com/Pilot/pdi.pdf and see if you can find anything. I believe this is the actual PDI list from Honda.
Ferd,

In the opening paragraph, it says something like......for vehicles with navigation, please refer to ........etc.

I wonder what THAT document covers. Only navigation setup? I'm sure a few folks on here would like to see that info.

Thanks for sharing your other PDFs. Where did you get them from?

Like the website graphics.

Peace,
Chris R
:1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
PDI

I did a search for PDI (it looks like it stands for Post Delivery Inspection), and the best I could come up with is a listing from alldata.com. You need a subscription to view the documents, but here is a listing for the Odyssey. The 03 Pilot is not listed.

Bulletins for 2002 Honda Truck Odyssey EX V6-3.5L SOHC (VTEC) MFI

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
99-070 NOV 01 Navigation System - Setup At PDI
98-061 NOV 01 A/T - In-Warranty Exchange Program
01-097 NOV 01 Instruments - Clock Does Not Light Up
00-088 AUG 01 Brake Discs - Refinishing Guidelines
01-009 AUG 01 Engine - Oil Leaks
01-067 AUG 01 Vehicle - PDI and New Model Information
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

RipRocK said:
Sorry to bring this up again, but I found 2 different PCM ILP instructions and was wondering if anyone knew why they're different or which would be the recommended one?

The one Ferdball provided me with, which looks to be Honda's own PDI checklist for the Pilot says the following:

1. Make sure all electical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger lights, etc.) are off.
2. Start the engine, and let it reach normal operating temperature (the cooling fans cycle twice).
3. Let the engine idle with the throttle closed and all electical items off for 10 minutes.

But when you take a look in any of the instructions in http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03pilot/ the PCM ILP instructions are as follows:

- Make sure all electrical items are turned off.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
- Let the engine idle for about 5 mintues with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items off.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on during this step, the time when it is operating must not be included in the 5 minutes.

They're similar, but definitely different. If you had to do one, which would you choose?
O.K. I've been reading confusing stuff in different threads...

From what I've read it sounds like all I have to do is disconnect and re-connect the negative cable on my battery (confused if a waiting time is needed or not), then make sure all electrical stuff is off, start the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes and I should be fine.

Is that an accurate summary?

Then I'd also have to punch in my stereo code and reset that auto up/down drivers window. Anything else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Re: Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

florida_guy said:
Anything else?
Reprogram your radio station presets.

BTW, I tried this. Didn't improve mileage at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

sfhondapilot said:
Reprogram your radio station presets.

BTW, I tried this. Didn't improve mileage at all.
Good point! Forgot about that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,054 Posts
Re: Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

florida_guy said:
O.K. I've been reading confusing stuff in different threads...

From what I've read it sounds like all I have to do is disconnect and re-connect the negative cable on my battery (confused if a waiting time is needed or not), then make sure all electrical stuff is off, start the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes and I should be fine.

Is that an accurate summary?

Then I'd also have to punch in my stereo code and reset that auto up/down drivers window. Anything else?
You are right...15-20 minutes +/- a couple of minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

john802 said:
You are right...15-20 minutes +/- a couple of minutes.
Thanks. What about the wait time on the battery disconnect. Can I just take the negative off and put it right back on or do I have to wait.

Anyone happen to know what size wrench off hand (don't go looking, I can do that). I have an incomplete set of box wrenches being the super handy guy that I am. :bonk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,054 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Differing Versions of PCM Idle Learn Procedure Instructions. Which is correct?

florida_guy said:
Thanks. What about the wait time on the battery disconnect. Can I just take the negative off and put it right back on or do I have to wait.

Anyone happen to know what size wrench off hand (don't go looking, I can do that). I have an incomplete set of box wrenches being the super handy guy that I am. :bonk:
No waiting time on the disconnect. The size of the wrench is 10mm.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top