Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

We are 95% sure that we will be buying a Pilot. What we are wondering is: considering where we live (Northern Virginia) is it unreasonable to expect to pay MSRP? If any of you bought a Pilot around here and paid above MSRP, how much more above?

Thanks a bunch.
Black Lion :8:
Evergreen Pearl EX (hopefully)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I paid msrp for my Pilot back in the summer. It was one of three they had. They seemed delighted to get it. I bought it from Ourisman Honda in Bethesda. Look out for too many dealer installed items, they can add up. I would not pay over msrp around DC. There are other threads on how much folks paid. You may want to do a search to see what others have found around DC. Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
DC-area dealers

Blacklion:

I live in sniper territory as well (I really hope they catch that idiot soon). I very recently placed an order for a Sage EX-L w/ DVD and a couple of accessories, and I aggressively surveyed local (and not-so-local) dealers for good prices. Here is what I found:

Many dealers will now go $500 below just for the asking.

College Park (MD) Honda was willing to deal at $1000 off MSRP, but would go no lower.

Hendrick Honda Isuzu (Woodbridge) was willing to go lower -- I didn't pursue, because I had an exceptional offer elsewhere, but they were probably $1300 under MSRP.

I ended up with a dealership a couple hours away, but at $2000 plus under MSRP.

Let me know if you you need more details.

Mkell -- thanks for your earlier info on Radial Tire. It was very helpful. I plan to do the CT switch when I get my vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
fitzkorn:
Sniper country...what's the US coming to?

I was at the dealer looking at Accord and saw 6 Pilots! Salesman said one spoken for, and offered $500 off. So market has gotten soft.

What dealer gave you $2k off MSRP? Wonder what they'd do for an Accord?

EGP EX #15505

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good discussion topic for those of us who have arrived here looking for information on a potential upcoming purchase. The last thread I found discussing this seemed to agree that MSRP was the more or less "average" selling price. My observation in NC on the color/style we're looking for (sage EX no leather) is that supply and demand are fairly closely matched; there are no sage vehicles on the lots but two due to arrive within days that aren't sold that are within 30-40 minutes drive, i.e. no 3-month wait where cars are sold to the highest bidder like with the Preludes I had in the 80s.

I've somehow decided that a "good" not "fantastic" price would be $1K back...good to hear that in the DC area that's approximately what your experience has been. I'd like to hear other folks' recent experience as well. PM me with your dealership name and any other pointers you might have; I can certainly drive 4-5 hours for a couple thousand $$ :).

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Prices

Prices can veray quite a bit by Market.
I would expect to pay more in San Francisco (or DC, NY, LA, etc.) than in Toledo or Souix City.
Houses are more, Saleries are more, Taxes are more.

Also remember, beating up a dealer for the best price is no way to encourage them to hire good support people.

I would have recommended the dealer I used, (less than 2 hours from DC) but not for the best price, just for the best service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
N_Jay:

With all due respect, I think that most people would view "beating up" a dealer for a favorable price to simply be the kind of back-and-forth negotiation that should take place in every large transaction. I think the consensus would also be that the customer is almost always the one who takes the beating in the auto-buying game.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
If the consumer is getting such a bad deal, what is the substitute?

Negotiation is one thing, but saying "Give me this price or I will go elsewhere, to each dealer in the area" is another.

If we want to buy Honda's like a commodity, then we will encourage Honda to build commodity vehicles.

If I wanted that, I could just buy a GM.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: DC-area dealers

fitzkorn said:
Blacklion:

I ended up with a dealership a couple hours away, but at $2000 plus under MSRP.

Mkell -- thanks for your earlier info on Radial Tire. It was very helpful. I plan to do the CT switch when I get my vehicle.
Congrats on the price and I am glad that the Radial Tire info is helping. Quotes from other places were way higher.

·
Registered
311 Posts
please pardon a little thread drift

I can't help it, I have to ask a question regarding the killer out there. I am getting calls from friends and family all over the country. I tell them that, yes, everyone is very frightened and that we all grieve for the innocent people who have won the wrong lottery. But, I have to wonder, with all the people that live here in the metro area - 5 to 8 million depending how far out you go, are the odds, the real risks, so real that we should all stay indoors, not shop, not go to the cleaners, etc.? Does anyone know for instance what the odds are of getting into a serious/fatal car accident over a given period of time? I would imagine that we face worse risks from everyday activities that we never think about. I certainly can see that this sick shooter presents a real risk and, of course, playing it safe is a good idea, but it seems like folks are being crippled by the fear. Don't you think we need some perspective? Sorry for the spewing of words.

·
Registered
29 Posts
N_Jay:

So it is ok for a dealer to say to me "MSRP or I show you the door" (many did), but not ok for me offer a price that I thought was reasonable (and at which the dealer makes a healthy profit from a percentage standpoint)?

With very few exceptions, cars are commodities, and it makes sense to seek out a good price. I fully agree with you that if a dealer can couple a fair price with superior service in the future, the total package would justify a higher price. I just didn't see that in my search.

Again, I respect your viewpoint, but I disagree with some of your conclusions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
N_Jay said:
Negotiation is one thing, but saying "Give me this price or I will go elsewhere, to each dealer in the area" is another.
Nobody can feel too bad asking for $1K back when markup is $3K, not including holdback. The dealership won't be laying off service department folks on those margins :). I think going elsewhere is exactly what will drive prices to an equilibrium and bring reasonable discounts back to the larger market areas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: please pardon a little thread drift

Mkell said:
But, I have to wonder, with all the people that live here in the metro area - 5 to 8 million depending how far out you go, are the odds, the real risks, so real that we should all stay indoors, not shop, not go to the cleaners, etc
The same odds as contracting West Nile Virus? :)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
True,
If you walk in and ask "What is the best price I can get?" and he says "MSRP", and lets you walk out without a discussion he did not waste your time lying to you about what a geat deal he would get you.
Isn't that better than dragging it out for a few hours or days?

What a product sells for has much more to do with what people will pay, given the supply, demand, and substitutes available, then it does with the cost and retailers profit.

Economics is a facinating subject.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mkell

It is a serious concern and for those in the area life goes on but with more caution & discretion.

Interestingly, my in-laws in MO call to ask about sniper and mention they have had random shootings in St. Louis for a decade without nearly this much PR. B'more has aleady exceeded last years death toll at this time (200+) headed for another record year....over 300.

Violence is pervasive; we just haven't been hearing about all of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
N_Jay said:
What a product sells for has much more to do with what people will pay, given the supply, demand, and substitutes available, then it does with the cost and retailers profit.
Agreed. When a dealer is selling off a sheet of "build dates" instead of real cars on the lot, cost and profit have little meaning :).

p.s. fitzkorn, hook me up with your contact at Hendrick in Woodbridge. I spoke with an internet sales fellow there (Bill Berry) who told me all their Pilots were still going at list. Hendrick in NC was offering better pricing, but still not what I'm looking for.

Also p.s. N_Jay, you'd give my wife a hard time for this...I picked up our Accord V6 EX at $500 over invoice, then her sister took our workup sheet down to the dealership and got $250 over. I still get grief from her like I didn't negotiate the best possible deal. I think I'll turn this Pilot purchase over to her :). One lesson here though is that enough folks sharing information in a forum like this can be a very good thing, but I have to point back to something specific and be able to say "you sold X to this person on this date, I'd like the same deal". I like it, consumers ganging up on car dealers :D.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Like I said

Not a bad way to go if price is everything.

My recommendation is to go to the nearest "Honda SuperStore" and have at it.

You want real fun, bring in CASH for exactly what you want to pay, with the last $50 in assorted bills and change stuffed in your old car's glove box. Start negotiating.
Its fun (So a friend has told me)(He was buying a Ranger Pick Up Commodity).

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I had a good friend at one of the local dealerships and the car was on the lot or coming soon, I wouldn't worry too much about $500. $1000 I might, but a good friend wouldn't put it to me that badly, right? :)

I just wish this was more like my dad's recent Highlander purchase...he went to the dealer down the street, they fairly quickly agree on a price midway between list and invoice, they order him a car, and it shows up a few months later exactly as promised with no add-ons or fees. It wasn't the lowest possible price he could have worked but he got a fair deal and a no-hassle transaction on a good car. I guess I expect the same sort of experience with our area Honda dealers.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
a few differences

Honda's typically sell for much closer to MSRP, Toyotas are priced to sell for several 1000 under MSRP.
Toyotas (even the hot ones) are typically available on the lot, The hot Honda's are not.
Toyotas typically include a good bit less value at a given MSRP price point. (My opinion, but one I have found few argue with)

e.g Before the Pilot was anounced we looked at mini-vans.
Honda Dealer:
Odyssey EX-L Available at MSRP about $29,000
Sienna w/leather MSRP about $33,000, Available for about $30,000

We can arge the details but these two vehicles are much closer in value than the Pilot and Highlander.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking for a best(around $1000.00) deal on any honda pilot

BlackLion,

I bought a pilot EX-L recently and I am Very Happy with it. I got a better deal (MSRP - $300) + discounted price on accessories like
overall $1050.00 less than the Sticker.

Black EX-L Pilot with DVD Entertainment System $32,020 + $460 =$32,480 - $300 Discount = $32,180.00

Added Accessories:
Side Steps, All-Season Floor Mats ,Auto Day/Night Mirror,
Rear Splash Guards,Wheel Locks,Gold Emblem Kit

For the above accessories, Salesman came up with a price of $1670.00 installed. but I paid him $920.00 only including Installation.

Actual total price is $32,480 + $1,670 = $34,150.00 + Tax
Price I Paid is $33,100.00 + Tax

Difference is $1050.00 less than the sticker price. Still 90% of dealers charging over the MSRP, I think, I got a best deal.

So if you are interested in this kind deal for Honda pilot(any color, any trim) let me know by email [email protected], I can get you the same deal. He is delivering vehicle to PA,MA,NJ,NY,VA.

Thanks,
Pavan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts