Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Changed Ronda's oil today just so I have piece of mind. I use Castrol Edge synthetic high mileage on all my vehicles personally. My engines run silky smooth on it compared to the equivalent syn-blend. Threw on Wix filter as well. I wanted a Wix Xp but, they where out of stock and the warehouse didnt have any either. Should be fine. The previous oil looked good on the stick but, fairly black considering it was just service according to the sticker.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Switched our vacation to Las Vegas instead of Grand canyon because if the excessive heat and increased vistors this week. The pilot has been flawless and is honestly the most comfortable vehicle for traveling we've ever owned. We all arrived in vegas ready to go even at the late hour we arrived. Here's Ronda at Red Rock national park today.

Other then needing a bluetooth module this truck fits my family's needs perfectly.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Drove home from Las Vegas today midday. It was 115 degree's and the Pilot did admirably on the return trip. I really like the Honda grade logic on the various hills through the Mojave desert. I figured out if I just set the cruise control she will hold the gear much more consistently then maintaining my pedal angle on grades. Pretty cool stuff. Should help keep the trans in good shape imo. She also did great fuel mileage wise. Overall a great first trip in extreme temperatures. Ill be swapping the radiator out as planned and changing the transmission fluid as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just found your thread.

I have a 2009 I got used at 93k miles 4 years ago, all the same feedback you've mentioned is how I feel, basically. I move 2, 4 or 6 kids around depending on the day and have gone to San Fran, Vegas, San Diego, etc over the past 4 years, alone or with 6 adults, always been a comfy drive. It's a super useful and reliable and comfortable vehicle.

Mine's at 251,000 miles now, had a friend do the TB/WP work at 110k and I've been doing other things throughout. I recently did two drain/fills with Valvoline Maxlife, don't have a lot of miles on it yet but I feel like is an improvement from the DW-1 I changed before. I don't know what the previous owner did besides visits to JiffyLube every 3,000 miles (!?!) so who knows. Had to change the alternator a couple months back and just changed air filter/cleaned MAF and replaced hose from airbox to manifold that I found cracked. Synthetic oil, clean ATF, filters clean and all the little maintenance items, besides the wear/tear of being a daily driver taking abuse from my kids, it drives super smooth.

It's gotten me from 93k to 150k and it's smoother than ever, and with the forum and other resources online, I can make this thing last forever, so that's my plan, lol. I've recently been thinking of camping out of the back too, so I'll be following some of your mods.

Welcome to the forum, nice car!

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Just found your thread.

I have a 2009 I got used at 93k miles 4 years ago, all the same feedback you've mentioned is how I feel, basically. I move 2, 4 or 6 kids around depending on the day and have gone to San Fran, Vegas, San Diego, etc over the past 4 years, alone or with 6 adults, always been a comfy drive. It's a super useful and reliable and comfortable vehicle.

Mine's at 251,000 miles now, had a friend do the TB/WP work at 110k and I've been doing other things throughout. I recently did two drain/fills with Valvoline Maxlife, don't have a lot of miles on it yet but I feel like is an improvement from the DW-1 I changed before. I don't know what the previous owner did besides visits to JiffyLube every 3,000 miles (!?!) so who knows. Had to change the alternator a couple months back and just changed air filter/cleaned MAF and replaced hose from airbox to manifold that I found cracked. Synthetic oil, clean ATF, filters clean and all the little maintenance items, besides the wear/tear of being a daily driver taking abuse from my kids, it drives super smooth.

It's gotten me from 93k to 150k and it's smoother than ever, and with the forum and other resources online, I can make this thing last forever, so that's my plan, lol. I've recently been thinking of camping out of the back too, so I'll be following some of your mods.

Welcome to the forum, nice car!
Thanks! Yeah its fitting our need very well. The mods will be slow until I cover majority of the maintenance i want done is completed. I did a ton of research before buying this truck and alot of comparison between it and toyota sequoias of the same year. This recent trip showed we made a good choice. We are hikers not offroaders. So even a sequoia is overkill for us and the fuel consumption wouldn't have been ideal.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My other car is an '08 Mazda CX-7. I like Mazda a lot. Your manual protégé must be sweet

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
My other car is an '08 Mazda CX-7. I like Mazda a lot. Your manual protégé must be sweet
Definitely will be once I get it running again 🥲. Shes so close but, on hold for the moment until i have some extra cash to throw at it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For real the cargo volume - and the big access clearance in the back - are awesome. Can fit so much stuff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lemme ask, you got a new radiator out of precaution, or wanting to drive in the heat from LA to Vegas more, or did you inspect it and feel it needed one? Is this an issue on the 1st gens or any specific iteration?

I've helped my dad replace a couple head gaskets on mid-'80s Accords we drove as kids, I don't want my Pilot to even come close to overheating. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have any issues, but obviously prevention is the key, and at 151,000 there's not really any component that would be "overkill" to update/maintain/refresh.

I really don't drive as much as I used to so waiting til 200k for a timing belt/water pump might not be as soon as 7 years since I had that done a few years ago, when I'd maybe replace coolant and could do that radiator maybe hoses at the same time.

Anyway, any insight to share and consider, let me know please. thanks.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Lemme ask, you got a new radiator out of precaution, or wanting to drive in the heat from LA to Vegas more, or did you inspect it and feel it needed one? Is this an issue on the 1st gens or any specific iteration?

I've helped my dad replace a couple head gaskets on mid-'80s Accords we drove as kids, I don't want my Pilot to even come close to overheating. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have any issues, but obviously prevention is the key, and at 151,000 there's not really any component that would be "overkill" to update/maintain/refresh.

I really don't drive as much as I used to so waiting til 200k for a timing belt/water pump might not be as soon as 7 years since I had that done a few years ago, when I'd maybe replace coolant and could do that radiator maybe hoses at the same time.

Anyway, any insight to share and consider, let me know please. thanks.
I was advised to change it on 2005 models because the original unit fails and turns the transmission fluid into a milkshake. I ordered the rad on the spot once I decided to purchase the vehicle. I got lucky and it turned out my pilots rad had been changed. Its a chinese unit though so its getting swapped out soon. Its been working great so far.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I remember that yah, I've heard of that issue. Didn't take it personal 'cause I have an '09.

Searched through a few threads but obviously there's a ton and so maybe someone can give me a quick reply or point me to any relevant thread/link...

Was this only a 1st-gen issue? 2009 and on are ok?

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

I was shared this on here when I first picked up the 05 pilot. I'd wager it isnt much of an issue by 2009 but, can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We've taken Ronda on a few excursions in our local mountains. So far so good. No overheating issues, trans continues to shift perfectly, and, the engine doesn't struggle to pull up windy roads. Going to do the radiator soon. Dealing with a jacked up tooth and our dental benefits package never got processed through work. Kinda screwed until they push it though. Been delayed a year already. Also going to go Max life soon for the trans fluid. You guys convinced me its superior to Hondas formula.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Power went out today at the house (rolling blackouts from too many dummies using their AC at low temps during high outside temps) so we headed out to mountains, grabbed a pizza at the local pizza joint, and, had dinner at our favorite Socal view point. Then we went on a little offroad excursion on the US forest service roads and tried out the VTM-4 lock on a sandy hill with VSA turned off. Worked great and got an even better view.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I put in $102 worth of gas, FWIW.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Dropped $72 myself before this trip. Thats using Ralphs fuel points lol.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Went on a solo hike this morning to Keller peak via exploration trail. 12 miles total and the fire tower at the top was pretty sweet. The guy running it let me take in the view and we chatted for a bit. Ran majority of the route back. Big ronda loves the mountain roads. I like that she hold gears while going up grades and she handles the twisties very well. Once I start my new job I'll be doing a ton of maintenance on Ronda also.

We also plan to do the Mill creek bypass (11 miles of soft roading) later this month.

Ecoregion Map World Line Font

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Good stuff! Pilots are great vehicles for this kind of use!

61 - 80 of 128 Posts