Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO, after searching the various threads on this forum, and the Ridgeline group, and not finding any definitive answers.. I spent some time this past week assembling the differences in suspension parts between a 2017 Pilot Touring and a 2019 Passport touring. It's been discussed that perhaps just the springs and shocks/struts could be swapped, also different are the front lower control arms and all 4 knuckles. $1100-$1700 in parts (depending on whether or not the knuckles would be required)

[EDITED TO ADD/ASK]
Anyone have an ideas about what else I might be missing, or what parts would actually be needed?

While the project is certainly out of my price range at the moment, but something I'll be considering in conjunction with the Truxxx or JSport lift somewhere down the road.

FRONTPilotPassport
Spring, R FR51401-TG7-A0151401-TGS-A03
58.48​
Rubber, FR. Spring (UPPER)51403-TZ5-A1151404-T6Z-A01
11.1​
qty 2
Spring, L. FR51406-TG7-A0151406-TGS-A03
57.78​
Shock Absorber Unit, R. FR51611-TG7-A0151611-TGS-A11
156.74​
Shock Absorber Unit, L. FR51621-TG7-A0151621-TGS-A11
156.74​
Knuckle, R. FR.51211-TGS-A01
124.55​
Knuckle, L. FR.51216-TGS-A01
124.55​
Arm, R Front (Lower)51350-T6Z-A00
147.1​
Arm, L Front (Lower)51360-T6Z-A00
150.93​
REAR
Spring, RR.52441-TGS-A03
59.18​
Spring, RR.52441-TGS-A03
59.18​
Shock Absorber Unit, RR.52611-TGS-A11
188.3​
qty 2
Knuckle, R. RR52210-TGS-A00
134.28​
Knuckle, L. RR.52215-TGS-A00
134.28​
Spring, RR. Stabilizer52300-TGS-A12
84.97​

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
SO, after searching the various threads on this forum, and the Ridgeline group, and not finding any definitive answers.. I spent some time this past week assembling the differences in suspension parts between a 2017 passport Touring and a 2019 passport touring. It's been discussed that perhaps just the springs and shocks/struts could be swapped, also different are the front lower control arms and all 4 knuckles. $1100-$1700 in parts (depending on whether or not the knuckles would be required)

A project certainly out of my price range at the moment, but something I'd consider in conjunction with the Truxxx or JSport lift somewhere down the road.

FRONTPilotPassport
Spring, R FR51401-TG7-A0151401-TGS-A03
58.48​
Rubber, FR. Spring (UPPER)51403-TZ5-A1151404-T6Z-A01
11.1​
qty 2
Spring, L. FR51406-TG7-A0151406-TGS-A03
57.78​
Shock Absorber Unit, R. FR51611-TG7-A0151611-TGS-A11
156.74​
Shock Absorber Unit, L. FR51621-TG7-A0151621-TGS-A11
156.74​
Knuckle, R. FR.51211-TGS-A01
124.55​
Knuckle, L. FR.51216-TGS-A01
124.55​
Arm, R Front (Lower)51350-T6Z-A00
147.1​
Arm, L Front (Lower)51360-T6Z-A00
150.93​
REAR
Spring, RR.52441-TGS-A03
59.18​
Spring, RR.52441-TGS-A03
59.18​
Shock Absorber Unit, RR.52611-TGS-A11
188.3​
qty 2
Knuckle, R. RR52210-TGS-A00
134.28​
Knuckle, L. RR.52215-TGS-A00
134.28​
Spring, RR. Stabilizer52300-TGS-A12
84.97​
2017 Passport? You sure it’s not a 2017 Pilot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just realized after re-reading my OP, I forgot to actually ask the question I wanted to ask the group.. facepalm Edited the original post to reflect what I was looking for.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is not clear what it is you are trying to achieve. You want to get .5 inch lift that Passport has using Honda's parts? Is Passport's ride better in your opinion? Why spend all this money and time?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just realized after re-reading my OP, I forgot to actually ask the question I wanted to ask the group.. facepalm Edited the original post to reflect what I was looking for.
Why not go directly to the Truxxx or JSport lift kit now and forget about the Passport parts that may or may not fit. Heck larger tires will give you the 1/2”.

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 on the J-Sport kit. for $515 you get a 1.5" lift that's "Engineered and manufactured to retain all of the factory driving characteristics while completely maximizing the attitude and toughness."

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'd have to see the parts side-by-side to get a better understanding of the differences and how they could affect performance. My guess is that the Passport isn't tuned to ride all that different from the Pilot, maybe a touch stiffer due to the lift springs and sportier pretense, but I don't think you are seeing an Raptor-like ride quality difference or extended travel using Passport parts.

My recommendation is to go with the J-Sport lift. If you aren't sure, take a Passport and your Pilot back-to-back on a rough road to see the ride difference.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Perhaps there is a reason that the Pilot suspension parts have a different part numbers from the Passport suspension part numbers.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Perhaps there is a reason that the Pilot suspension parts have a different part numbers from the Passport suspension part numbers.

Did you test drive new Pilot when you got your Passport? I'm trying to figure out if there is really some performance advantage other than a slight lift or if it's tuned to behave the same on a shorter wheelbase with a lift.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Did you test drive new Pilot when you got your Passport? I'm trying to figure out if there is really some performance advantage other than a slight lift or if it's tuned to behave the same on a shorter wheelbase with a lift.
Yes I did, just for fun. Knew I wasn't going to buy it as I didn't need/want the 3rd row seating. To your question, yes the two rode different. The Passport, in the top two tiers, have a stiffer, more rugged suspension that is tuned for medium duty off road driving. The wheel base is the same, the entry and departure angles are better on the Passport as is the break over angle due to the additional height. The Passport is 10" shorter in the body.

It is no Jeep Rubicon, but my Touring does well even on the stock suspension. Depending on how far I end up trying to push it I may do the JSport lift kit.

I have done the Fumoto drain valve, skid plate and am putting on the ATF cooler. If I do the JSport then I will change the wheels to 18" and go with ATV tire, but for now the 20" have done just fine off road.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Before you go through all of that, you might want to just spend a few hundred bucks on aftermarket shocks. I did that with an SUV that I used to have, and it drove like a completely different vehicle after swapping out the stock floaty shocks with Bilsteins -- much tighter, etc. I bet you can find much better aftermarket alternatives than going with a stock Honda anything.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You may be better off talking to a service adviser at Honda dealership or at a local suspension shop. It's possible that all you need is new shocks and coils.

I talked to my dealership about this when I bought my Pilot and they said they would be willing to make it work (they were surprised by the idea but they did like it. They thought I was into something there). They had no previous experience so they were not sure how much labor this would take. Since I could not get a quote, I kind of gave up on the idea. I did like the stiffer ride on the Passport and having extra .5 lift wouldn't hurt either. So I bought an inch larger tires instead that gave me that .5 inch:) Pilot is a bit too soft for my liking.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
You may be better off talking to a service adviser at Honda dealership or at a local suspension shop. It's possible that all you need is new shocks and coils.

I talked to my dealership about this when I bought my Pilot and they said they would be willing to make it work (they were surprised by the idea but they did like it. They thought I was into something there). They had no previous experience so they were not sure how much labor this would take. Since I could not get a quote, I kind of gave up on the idea. I did like the stiffer ride on the Passport and having extra .5 lift wouldn't hurt either. So I bought an inch larger tires instead that gave me that .5 inch:) Pilot is a bit too soft for my liking.
I have the Passport Touring and it has the 8.1" ground clearance making it .8 inches higher that the Pilot so my Passport is still .3" taller than a pilot with 1" taller tires. ;)😆:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Daltongang, If I needed more clearance, I would have installed a 2 inch leveling kit. I simply wanted a set of winter tires and wheels:) Not sure what you are pointing out with your post.

bouncer_texxx Seems to be going through too much trouble to add .8 inches while he can get 2 inch lift for a fraction of the cost.

I have driven Passport and I enjoyed the slightly stiffer ride. I could achieve the same my ordering custom coils with 10-20% more stiffness. I just don't see the point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
SO, after searching the various threads on this forum, and the Ridgeline group, and not finding any definitive answers.. I spent some time this past week assembling the differences in suspension parts between a 2017 Pilot Touring and a 2019 Passport touring. It's been discussed that perhaps just the springs and shocks/struts could be swapped, also different are the front lower control arms and all 4 knuckles. $1100-$1700 in parts (depending on whether or not the knuckles would be required)

[EDITED TO ADD/ASK]
Anyone have an ideas about what else I might be missing, or what parts would actually be needed?

While the project is certainly out of my price range at the moment, but something I'll be considering in conjunction with the Truxxx or JSport lift somewhere down the road.
SNIP
This is something I have been considering as well. From what I can find and according to Jsport, the Passport Struts will bolt in and lift the Pilot 1". I assume it is really more like 0.75" but I get it. I already have the 2" Truxxx lift kit and 30.5" tires. What I am not sure is how many of the small parts do I need so I priced EVERYTHING to build a Passport strut assembly and it was $1200 front and rear at Hondapartsguys. I did find an online salvage yard and compared the two struts and it for sure seems to bolt in. The Passport Struts are longer but the spring height seems the same, I would need to measure to be sure. The shock tube is longer though but it seems they kept the brake hose brackets and such in the same place.

The can of worms that has me worried is how the extra lift will effect the Pilot geometry with the 2" lift kit I already have. IF the arms and such were all the same between the Passport and Pilot, would Honda have given them different part numbers? So I wonder if the Passport control arms are longer as well as the axles. Best case, the end result is basically a suspension setup like a Passport with 2" lift kit. That said, worst case scenario I have issued with the struts being too long with the lift kit. I could keep the passport struts installed and put a shorter lift block and I am back to where I was. Chalk it up to trying something new.

In the end, my goal is to have more ground clearance and a better ride. I do not suspect I would get a better ride with the Passport struts ( I have a Touring AWD Pilot) but at least the ground clearance.

Since Honda trademarked "Trail Sport" for automotive use I am just thinking about waiting till SEMA 2021 to see if Honda shows anything new and just replacing my leaking front struts with oem for now (85k miles).

That leads me to another idea of just having custom rear HD springs made. I loose 1" of clearance in the rear when I have the Pilot loaded up for camping/lake trips with my family. If I could just maintain my lift or loose a little less, that would work. Springworks can make a set of HD springs for about $500. It would basically accomplish the same thing as all the trouble with the Passport strut swap but with better peace of mind.

I can also get a little more ground clearance in the center by changing the exhaust but I really want to keep it quiet. I would also still have the fuel tank to worry about though. I have not yet dinged my exhaust so I am still thinking about it.

So in the end, I will probably just stick with the stock Honda struts (since NO ONE is making anything else) and just do the HD rear springs if Honda does not show any trail struts/shocks/springs at SEMA.

PS check out NoLo Designs for some skid plates. He has front and rear diff on the site. The rear diff one required some cutting but I hear a v2 will come out to fit the Pilot and Passport better. He has a ridgeline as his R7D vehicle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is something I have been considering as well. From what I can find and according to Jsport, the Passport Struts will bolt in and lift the Pilot 1". I assume it is really more like 0.75" but I get it. I already have the 2" Truxxx lift kit and 30.5" tires. What I am not sure is how many of the small parts do I need so I priced EVERYTHING to build a Passport strut assembly and it was $1200 front and rear at Hondapartsguys. I did find an online salvage yard and compared the two struts and it for sure seems to bolt in. The Passport Struts are longer but the spring height seems the same, I would need to measure to be sure. The shock tube is longer though but it seems they kept the brake hose brackets and such in the same place.

The can of worms that has me worried is how the extra lift will effect the Pilot geometry with the 2" lift kit I already have. IF the arms and such were all the same between the Passport and Pilot, would Honda have given them different part numbers? So I wonder if the Passport control arms are longer as well as the axles. Best case, the end result is basically a suspension setup like a Passport with 2" lift kit. That said, worst case scenario I have issued with the struts being too long with the lift kit. I could keep the passport struts installed and put a shorter lift block and I am back to where I was. Chalk it up to trying something new.

In the end, my goal is to have more ground clearance and a better ride. I do not suspect I would get a better ride with the Passport struts ( I have a Touring AWD Pilot) but at least the ground clearance.

Since Honda trademarked "Trail Sport" for automotive use I am just thinking about waiting till SEMA 2021 to see if Honda shows anything new and just replacing my leaking front struts with oem for now (85k miles).

That leads me to another idea of just having custom rear HD springs made. I loose 1" of clearance in the rear when I have the Pilot loaded up for camping/lake trips with my family. If I could just maintain my lift or loose a little less, that would work. Springworks can make a set of HD springs for about $500. It would basically accomplish the same thing as all the trouble with the Passport strut swap but with better peace of mind.

I can also get a little more ground clearance in the center by changing the exhaust but I really want to keep it quiet. I would also still have the fuel tank to worry about though. I have not yet dinged my exhaust so I am still thinking about it.

So in the end, I will probably just stick with the stock Honda struts (since NO ONE is making anything else) and just do the HD rear springs if Honda does not show any trail struts/shocks/springs at SEMA.

PS check out NoLo Designs for some skid plates. He has front and rear diff on the site. The rear diff one required some cutting but I hear a v2 will come out to fit the Pilot and Passport better. He has a ridgeline as his R7D vehicle.
Hey, now that you have driven your car for a while with Passport shocks and coils, what's your opinion on the swap? Is the ride noticably stiffer? Did you end up ordering custom could for the back or did you stick with Passport EOM coils?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts