Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I am trying to replace the passenger side cv axle on my 2011 Honda Pilot. I removed everything including the seal and ready to install. However, I got the axle oil seal from Napa and it was too loose. I know that you need to hammer this in for a tight fit, but the one I got goes in and out by hand without any friction.
I returned the seal to Napa beleiving that they gave me the wrong part and got a Honda one from the dealer, part number 91206-P0Z-005. The diameter is about 2.165”. The fitment is the same as Napa one and it is loose. My car is disabled in the garage and I am out of options. Will it leak if it can just drop in by hand? I will appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have the old seal see if you can read the part number on it. I just looked and the same seal is used on both the 2&4wd models.

Have you owned it since new or could it have been repaired before and an oversized seal installed?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I
If you have the old seal see if you can read the part number on it. I just looked and the same seal is used on both the 2&4wd models.

Have you owned it since new or could it have been repaired before and an oversized seal installed?
I have the vehicle since brand new. The seal was never changed. I have the old seal and I will try to clean to see if I can read the number.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seal number is not readable on the old one, but visual tells you that they are not the same part. The outside as I know is not the same and inside diameter is quite different as well. I checked different places and this part is called for 2011 honda pilot passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Could it be Part # 91207-PY4-004? The measurement is 46x70x8.
The part you have, 91206-P0Z-005 is smaller 35x54x8.
Both of these part # are on the same diagram.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be Part # 91207-PY4-004? The measurement is 46x70x8.
The part you have, 91206-P0Z-005 is smaller 35x54x8.
Both of these part # are on the same diagram.
It looks like the old seal out has dimensions of 43x55x8. The inner dimension is questionable as it appears to be deformed. The driver side seal appears to be a closer match to what came out of the vehicle. The dealer gave me that seal this morning (without knowing if that was the right part and he said he didn’t have any idea). This is part number 91205-POX-005. It measures 38x56x8. I would be shocked if Honda made such a mistake.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That is crazy to run into a problem like this but I don’t know why the correct part does not work. You could measure the cv shaft where the seal rides and get the inner seal size and then just find a seal with the correct dimensions. I don’t know why you should have to do that but it might be the quickest way to get the car on the road again.

Or, does the new seal look like the correct size for the cv shaft just not the transmission?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is crazy to run into a problem like this but I don’t know why the correct part does not work. You could measure the cv shaft where the seal rides and get the inner seal size and then just find a seal with the correct dimensions. I don’t know why you should have to do that but it might be the quickest way to get the car on the road again.

Or, does the new seal look like the correct size for the cv shaft just not the transmission?
The CV shaft measures 42mm, but the openning of the driver side seal is 38mm unused, but it is flexible with a spring ring around it. Not sure if this is the way it should be.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the seal you have fits the cv shaft but is a little loose in the transmission you could try one size larger. They make a 35x55x8 91206-5T0-003. This is a passenger side seal for an 03-06 Element.

That seal would be 1mm or .039" bigger where it goes into the transmission.

How loose is the seal in the transmission? Does it push in by hand with little resistance but will stay in place or does it move around pretty easy when you put in in?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the seal you have fits the cv shaft but is a little loose in the transmission you could try one size larger. They make a 35x55x8 91206-5T0-003. This is a passenger side seal for an 03-06 Element.

That seal would be 1mm or .039" bigger where it goes into the transmission.

How loose is the seal in the transmission? Does it push in by hand with little resistance but will stay in place or does it move around pretty easy when you put in in?
The seal that is called for passenger side is like 1mm smaller than what it shuld be. You can easily drop in by hand without any resistance. On the other hand the seal that is called for driver side is about 1mm larger than the seal socket on passenger side. It is possible that Honda mixed the left/right seals up in their system. But I have hard time beleiving that they haven’t fixed it after 10 years.
Some people used the same seal for Honda Odyssey (2008 and 2010) and they state on Amazon that it is too loose. The same experience.
One question I have, can you use the 38mm inner seal oppening for a 42mm shaft? The inner side is flexible and I think the shaft can go thru tightly. I think if this doable I will try the driver side seal for passenger side.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are the damaged seal removed from passenger front side vs the seal Honda calls for driver side
The major difference I see is the center openning. I can’t see a part number on either the damaged one or the new one.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
The seal that is called for passenger side is like 1mm smaller than what it shuld be. You can easily drop in by hand without any resistance. On the other hand the seal that is called for driver side is about 1mm larger than the seal socket on passenger side. It is possible that Honda mixed the left/right seals up in their system. But I have hard time beleiving that they haven’t fixed it after 10 years.
Some people used the same seal for Honda Odyssey (2008 and 2010) and they state on Amazon that it is too loose. The same experience.
One question I have, can you use the 38mm inner seal oppening for a 42mm shaft? The inner side is flexible and I think the shaft can go thru tightly. I think if this doable I will try the driver side seal for passenger side.
Have you talked to a Honda parts department. It's obvious that something is wrong. Doesn't appear to me that the driver side seal is a match.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you talked to a Honda parts department. It's obvious that something is wrong. Doesn't appear to me that the driver side seal is a match.
Yes, I talked to them and they even checked the VIN, and they said the system give the seal that is obviously wrong.

·
Registered
292 Posts
These are the damaged seal removed from passenger front side vs the seal Honda calls for driver side
So the lower seal in the last picture is a new driver side seal 91205-P0X-005 (40x56x9) and not a passengers side seal 91206-P0Z-005 (35x54x8)? The measurements are off the parts list.

I ask because the center of the old seal is a lot bigger like you said. I am just wanting to make sure.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the lower seal in the last picture is a new driver side seal 91205-P0X-005 (40x56x9) and not a passengers side seal 91206-P0Z-005 (35x54x8)? The measurements are off the parts list.

I ask because the center of the old seal is a lot bigger like you said. I am just wanting to make sure.
Yes the last picture shows the removed seal from vehicle (top) and part 91205-POX-005 (new driver side seal) in the bottom.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For a 42mm shaft, what should be the inner diameter of the seal?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts