Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community,

Would like to get your opinion and/experience if any: yesterday we were replacing sway bar links (2012 over 100K miles) and noticed there is some small play in axle where it connects to intermediate shaft bearing. To be honest, I don’t feel any concerning vibration or noise at any speed 0-70, no sound when turning
My question would be: do Pilots allow for some play there? The driver side seems to be fine, both axles seem to be in a great condition as well.
Now, if there should not be any play, should I replace axle along with intermediate shaft or search for intermediate shaft (with bearing). What brand should I go with: rockauto has some Trakmotive brand but I am not sure how good it is?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
OEM is the preferred choice for CV axle replacement unless another vehicle is in your future. IMO until vibrations or noise occur just continue monitoring that axle.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Hello community,

Would like to get your opinion and/experience if any: yesterday we were replacing sway bar links (2012 over 100K miles) and noticed there is some small play in axle where it connects to intermediate shaft bearing. To be honest, I don’t feel any concerning vibration or noise at any speed 0-70, no sound when turning
My question would be: do Pilots allow for some play there? The driver side seems to be fine, both axles seem to be in a great condition as well.
Now, if there should not be any play, should I replace axle along with intermediate shaft or search for intermediate shaft (with bearing). What brand should I go with: rockauto has some Trakmotive brand but I am not sure how good it is?

Thank you
If you mean there is play horizontally between the transmission and wheel, this is normal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vertically, right next to aluminum (I believe it is aluminum) shaft bearing.
Although not significant, I can feel some move there.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Vertically, right next to aluminum (I believe it is aluminum) shaft bearing.
Although not significant, I can feel some move there.
Best way to test CV joints is to be in an open parking lot. Drive slowly in a circle with your wheel turned all the way to the left and then to the right. If there is no clicking, clunking, bouncing, jerking in a sharp turn, your likely ok.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
He's talking about the inner drive joint on the right side, the extension shaft from that back to the differential, and the support for the outer end of the shaft.

If you can feel radial play at the end of the shaft where it passes through the bearing, this --might-- deserve some attention. There's a certain amount of movement allowed by the bearing mount, such that the engine and gearbox can move a little on their mounts. Check the shaft to bearing movement to see if the bearing is worn (not common), and confirm that with a dial indicator clamped to the shaft. If you just try moving the inner joint relative to the chassis, some movement is allowed by design. Problems in this area show up as vibration felt through the seat frames at around 70 MPH under load, disappearing immediately when you lift off the throttle.

The testing that Nail Grease suggests is appropriate for evaluating the CV joints at the wheel ends of the half-shafts in front.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
“...He's talking about the inner drive joint on the right side, the extension shaft from that back to the differential, and the support for the outer end of the shaft....”

Precisely! Now, as I read your feedback I believe I started hearing slight but intrusive humming sound when driving over 70-75mph couple of weeks ago. But because it is rare, I drive with such speed, I did not pay a lot of attention to it.

Thank you for the feedback.
I will proceed to additional testing

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
There's a serious vibration felt at 70 under load, not a hum or a groan or grind. Feels like a wheel out of balance and a failing shock absorber, except it disappears when you let off the throttle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts