Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
06' Pilot
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have a 06’ Pilot and the passenger airbag light is flashing (located under the hazard light button). When the passenger puts on their seatbelt the light goes away on the dash but still continues to flash on the airbag light. Does anyone know how to fix this? Pls let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts

Is there someone on the passenger seat that's too light to be a threshold adult?

If it's a kid, just keep feeding him and the problem will take care of itself over time. :)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,909 Posts
Could be an SMS control Module failing. I would suggest that you take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

This might take your attention away from your driving if it happens at 80 kmh on the highway. If you happen to have a passenger with you, they might be slightly miffed as well.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,016 Posts
I’d definitely take it to the dealership to have them figure out what is going on. The SRS system isn’t one the home mechanic should be monkeying around with.

You might check the warranty guide to determine if airbags are covered the lifetime of the vehicle.

In case it’s a seatbelt related issue I believe Honda covers seatbelts for the vehicle’s lifetime (that was their policy back in 2005).

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Could be an SMS control Module failing. I would suggest that you take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

This might take your attention away from your driving if it happens at 80 kmh on the highway. If you happen to have a passenger with you, they might be slightly miffed as well.
View attachment 142089
Are you insinuating that the airbag could somehow deploy without being in a frontend collision? Please clarify.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Actually, the airbag system deployment is more sophisticated than I would have guessed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
Are you insinuating that the airbag could somehow deploy without being in a frontend collision? Please clarify.
Takata.

Are you suggesting that they couldn't deploy due to a malfunction? When working or removing say the front drivers seat why should you unplug the SMS system before working on the seat?

Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Takata.

Are you suggesting that they couldn't deploy due to a malfunction? When working or removing say the front drivers seat why should you unplug the SMS system before working on the seat?

Better safe than sorry.
You suggested a failing SMS could cause a deployment of an airbag. To be safe, as in having a system capable of detecting an impact and deploying the airbag is warranted.

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
You suggested a failing SMS could cause a deployment of an airbag. To be safe, as in having a system capable of detecting an impact and deploying the airbag is warranted.
Are you stating with absolute 100% positivity that a failing SMS module could not cause an unintentional deployment?

Yes I am saying that to error on the side of safety the OP should have such a critical safety system checked out.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Are you stating with absolute 100% positivity that a failing SMS module could not cause an unintentional deployment?

Yes I am saying that to error on the side of safety the OP should have such a critical safety system checked out.
A faulty SRS module will usually prevent the deployment of an airbag, not the other way around. There is enough reason to get it fixed without threatening someone that the airbag will accidentally go off in their face if they don't. If you know of a case where a faulty SRS module caused an accidental deployment of an airbag, please provide a link. I'm sure we would all be intrested.

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
A faulty SRS module will usually prevent the deployment of an airbag, not the other way around. There is enough reason to get it fixed without threatening someone that the airbag will accidentally go off in their face if they don't. If you know of a case where a faulty SRS module caused an accidental deployment of an airbag, please provide a link. I'm sure we would all be intrested.
WILL USUALLY? Will usually is not the degree of reliability I personally am willing to accept.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
WILL USUALLY? Will usually is not the degree of reliability I personally am willing to accept.
Nor I, as in, the airbag will fail to deploy.

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
This appears to be lawyer click bait.
Is Repair Pal click bait in your book?

How about CarComplaints?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Is Repair Pal click bait in your book?

How about CarComplaints?
All click bait sites.
Have you got the actual recall notice from Toyota?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Not sure it would do any good since everything is "Click Bait" to you at this point.
2003-2004 Toyota Corolla and Matrix. Got it. Point noted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts